Author Topic: Recommend me a portable pressure guage  (Read 1262 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Recommend me a portable pressure guage
« on: 26 November, 2017, 07:43:37 pm »
I don't need anything super-accurate; the scenario is that I am now using a lot of wider tyres, running at pressures <<100psi. My "finger senses" are only experienced with 25mm-ish tyres around the 100psi mark.

[my track pump has an adequate guage - I want something to carry on the bikes, so small/light is more important than accurate/willlast100years
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Recommend me a portable pressure guage
« Reply #1 on: 26 November, 2017, 07:50:40 pm »

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #2 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:04:09 pm »
I've got one of those too.  It works well, but it's not something I'd carry on the bike (unless I was going to a fettling session of some kind).

Smallest/lightest gauge is probably going to be one built into a pump you're carrying already.

Samuel D

« Reply #3 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:21:21 pm »
So-called pencil pressure gauges are quite portable and available for a wide range of pressures and valve types. See eBay. I have one for Presta valves and high pressures. Not sure how accurate they are but certainly better than fingers, which are very inaccurate indeed. On the other hand, glancing down at the bulge around the contact patch while riding can be fairly accurate and is very portable.

« Reply #4 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:40:56 pm »
I have one of these that I've found to be quite good https://www.tredz.co.uk/.BBB-Pressure-Gauge_50587.htm 

The auto power off feature is slightly annoying in that you have to be quick to measure front and rear before the unit powers off.  Schwalbe market the same device under their branding too.
Most of the stuff I say is true because I saw it in a dream and I don't have the presence of mind to make up lies when I'm asleep.   Bryan Andreas

« Reply #5 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:45:14 pm »
I've been using this for a few years now:http://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/airchecker/.
Works well on my bicycles (Presta valve), motorcycle and car.

I'm inclined to agree with Samuel D, checking the bulge around the contact patch is preferable to using fingers, especially when the bike is moving.

« Reply #6 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:52:20 pm »
I also use an SKS Airchecker, but only at home.

On the road, I just count 100 strokes of the HPX, regardless of whether I'm using 28 or 38 tyres.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #7 on: 26 November, 2017, 08:55:35 pm »
The old plastic Zefal analogue one I have is light and works well, albeit while removing a bit of air in the process, like all seperate gauges have to.  (I can't find Presta versions of it online, unfortunately, only other models that I can't vouch for).

A properly inflated wide tyre* shouldn't feel all that different from a properly inflated narrow tyre** anyway because you're feeling the casing tension rather than the air pressure directly.  Personally, I trust my thumbs more than what's written on the tyre.  Of course they're only good through experience.

* ie. at low psi.
** ie. at high psi.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●