Author Topic: Has anyone ever freighted a bike to the USA?  (Read 3511 times)

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
Has anyone ever freighted a bike to the USA?
« on: 03 December, 2017, 12:07:15 am »
At some point next year I may want to freight a bike to the US, and then freight it back again afterwards.  It would be in a hard case and could take up to three or four weeks on the way out, then as long as whatever on the return trip.  Has anyone ever done this?  How much is it likely to cost, and are there any traps to look out for?

Re: Has anyone ever freighted a bike to the USA?
« Reply #1 on: 03 December, 2017, 01:29:36 am »
Redlight was asking about this a little while ago, in another thread that I can't immediately find. I imagine the Things might have a thought or two.

« Reply #2 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:46:29 am »
Are you going to be traveling to the US and using the bike? If so, the simplest (and possibly cheapest) thing would be to bring the bike with you as part of your checked baggage.

There is at least one world wide baggage forwarding service that specializes in this sort of thing, although I can't remember the name.

Edit: OK, here's the company I was thinking of: https://www.bikeflights.com.

I've never used their services and I don't know anyone who has. I found them while I was toying with the idea of a bike tour that never happened.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #3 on: 03 December, 2017, 02:13:05 pm »
Hmm, I got quotes in excess of $1500 for the round trip which would be prohibitive! 

I'm going to be touring in the region next year (DV) and the US national 24 hour champs will be on my route: the race is near Amarillo in early June.  I was looking at the possibility of getting my TT bike shipped out to meet me, then posting it back to a relative afterwards.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 03 December, 2017, 02:42:49 pm »
I was going to say it might be cheaper to take it as excess luggage with you, but clearly that's going to be impractical. I've had bikes couriered internationally with standard courier companies (DHL I think it was) but not intercontinental. With Europe everything tends to go air freight even if you only pay ground, but actual oceanic shipping in a container load might be an option transatlantic.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 03 December, 2017, 02:54:38 pm »

I'm going to be touring in the region next year (DV) and the US national 24 hour champs will be on my route: the race is near Amarillo in early June. 

Karla, I don't see anything resembling this event, do you have any info?

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #6 on: 03 December, 2017, 03:12:40 pm »
24 Hours in the Canyon is the championship race this year, it was just announced yesterday.

« Reply #7 on: 03 December, 2017, 03:31:56 pm »
24 Hours in the Canyon is the championship race this year, it was just announced yesterday.

Interesting. The UMCA is a disappearing organisation which I doubt will number much more than 100 members come next year.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #8 on: 03 December, 2017, 03:45:21 pm »
The 24hr distance doesn't seem to be particularly high, given the limited amount of climbing. Couldn't you be competitive by just swapping the tyres and stem on your touring bike and adding clip-on aerobars?
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #9 on: 03 December, 2017, 05:57:49 pm »
https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105522 probably applies.

You might be able to rent or borrow a fast bike and tweak it to suit your position.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #10 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:09:06 pm »
The 24hr distance doesn't seem to be particularly high, given the limited amount of climbing. Couldn't you be competitive by just swapping the tyres and stem on your touring bike and adding clip-on aerobars?

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105522 probably applies.

You might be able to rent or borrow a fast bike and tweak it to suit your position.

Thanks for the link.  I'm investigating both those options.

« Reply #11 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:34:56 pm »
"I'm going to be touring in the region next year (DV)"

I'm curious where (what is DV?). You say that Palo Duro Canyon is on your route, so is this a recognised - route such as Adventure Cycling - or a ride you are making up for yourself?

Either way, the Texas Panhandle region where Amarillo is is one of the bleakest regions of America and most of the roads are not fit for cycling being major state roads with heavy truck traffic and few shoulders.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #12 on: 03 December, 2017, 06:53:28 pm »
The 24hr distance doesn't seem to be particularly high, given the limited amount of climbing.
To come back to this; I noticed that when I first noticed the race a while ago.  Given its national status, I'm wondering whether this year's competition may be a bit stiffer though.  Yet another thing to ask Google.

"I'm going to be touring in the region next year (DV)"

I'm curious where (what is DV?).
Deo Volente

You say that Palo Duro Canyon is on your route, so is this a recognised - route such as Adventure Cycling - or a ride you are making up for yourself?
One I'm making up for myself, part of a much larger route.

Either way, the Texas Panhandle region where Amarillo is is one of the bleakest regions of America and most of the roads are not fit for cycling being major state roads with heavy truck traffic and few shoulders.
You've not met me, have you?

« Reply #13 on: 03 December, 2017, 07:29:27 pm »
Hi Karla,
we have used these guys a few times.
https://www.luggageforward.com/bike-shipping-service/
Not across the pond though as yet. always within Europe.
Sometimes we have just had (soft) bike bags shipped after building up bikes and touring;  a couple of times complete bikes were shipped.
Options to have bikes shipped back to Bermuda where we reside turned out to be prohibitive, but  I suspect that was as a result of it being remote.
The States may well be more reasonable. Lots of traffic going that way.
often lost.

« Reply #14 on: 03 December, 2017, 08:09:57 pm »
Those of us who take bikes across the pond usually take them with us on the plane.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #15 on: 03 December, 2017, 09:15:24 pm »
Really?  I'd never thought of that before!

« Reply #16 on: 04 December, 2017, 06:36:12 pm »
I was looking at this company to ship a bike in the UK (seemed the best option out of all the services) and they do international shipping as well: https://cyclesent.co.uk/

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #17 on: 04 December, 2017, 07:03:13 pm »
Really?  I'd never thought of that before!
Isn't YACF a great resource!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #18 on: 05 December, 2017, 09:04:13 am »
I've heard back from the organiser and the good news is that he sounds really positive, both about sorting me out with a borrowed bike over there and about receiving my bike should I post it :thumbsup:

« Reply #19 on: 06 December, 2017, 05:10:28 am »
Take it as luggage, then when in USA send it along by BikeFlights.   Their pricing on this continent is reasonable, but goes to astronomical when crossing oceans is involved.  Just need to come up with a place for it to be awaiting your return.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #20 on: 06 December, 2017, 11:45:09 am »
Nice idea, but stymied by the fact that I don't intend to stop when I reach t'other side of America. 

I've asked igauk's company for a quote, so let's see what they come up with.

Redlight

• Enjoying life in the slow lane
« Reply #21 on: 08 December, 2017, 10:28:48 am »
Redlight was asking about this a little while ago, in another thread that I can't immediately find. I imagine the Things might have a thought or two.

It was https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=105522.0 but I think the advice was pretty much the same as on this thread.  I was looking at shipping a bike to Denver, then on to LA and then home and the price came in at about $800. 

As noted above, shipping across the US is relatively cheap so I'm now thinking about flying (to NY) with the bike and sending it on to Denver, which I won't reach for another two weeks, and flying back with it from LA at the end of the trip.  Another option is hiring a bike in each location, but everywhere I've looked at so far seems geared to people who want to rent lightweight racers, which is not what I want for touring.
Why should anybody steal a watch when they can steal a bicycle?