Author Topic: Best all round compact including for vlogging.  (Read 3192 times)

Best all round compact including for vlogging.
« on: 13 January, 2018, 04:09:58 pm »
I wonder who here has experience of making videos / vlogging with compacts.  A discussion with some friends about best camera for carting around on the bike / in the backpack and models such as various Lumix, Sony and the Canon G7 came up.

Anybody got and thoughts / experiences to share please?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
Re: Best all round compact including for vlogging.
« Reply #1 on: 13 January, 2018, 04:44:46 pm »
I'm also looking for a good solution for Vlogs. I'm a Canon fan-boy but Canon shoot themselves in the foot time and time again with a lack of external Mic. input and lack of 4K.

Assuming you are OK with built-in Mic (buy a stick on "dead cat" for it) and lack of 4K then Canon's Dual-Pixel auto-focus is the very best in the industry for holding focus on a face.

I'm actually thinking of going for a used Canon 70D DSLR and a "pancake" lens.  That gives me the Dual-pixel, articulated screen and external Mic.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

« Reply #2 on: 14 January, 2018, 09:55:10 pm »
I thought about a dslr but I would like a portable 'do everything quite well' camera as oppose to the full beans.  4K isn't really necessary for what I want to do and almost all of the time vlog shooting will be tripod mounted or panning.  A half decent stills camera for cycle touring and general 'carry me convenience' would be a bonus of course.

I have even considered whether a decent smartphone would fit the bill.  I'll be looking at the Samsung S8 and Note 8 and the Samsung S9 due out this year for instance.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #3 on: 14 January, 2018, 11:30:06 pm »
I thought about a dslr but I would like a portable 'do everything quite well' camera as oppose to the full beans.  4K isn't really necessary for what I want to do and almost all of the time vlog shooting will be tripod mounted or panning.  A half decent stills camera for cycle touring and general 'carry me convenience' would be a bonus of course.

I have even considered whether a decent smartphone would fit the bill.  I'll be looking at the Samsung S8 and Note 8 and the Samsung S9 due out this year for instance.

I have the Samsung S7 Edge and it's the reason I don't carry my Canon S120* around so much any more.

*A superb compact camera.

It's simpler to fit an external mic to a phone than to most Compact cameras.

fuaran

• rothair gasta
« Reply #4 on: 15 January, 2018, 12:00:05 am »
Most compact Canons are a bit rubbish for video.

If you want something small and decent quality, look at a mirrorless camera.
Panasonic Lumix GX800 is proper pocket sized, with the kit lens. It can do 4K, and has a tilt screen, very handy for vlogging etc. Also has wifi, so you can control it from a phone.
No microphone input though, not many smaller cameras have this. You could use some sort of separate recorder.

« Reply #5 on: 15 January, 2018, 01:25:14 pm »
Hmmm.  I've been looking at the Sony RX100v and liking it.   Gets a number of good reviews around the internet too.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #6 on: 15 January, 2018, 02:30:07 pm »
DP Review: "the user interface is still unfriendly".  I frequently swear at my RX100 for that reason: the interface feels like an intelligence test.  Not enough dedicated controls. It's also sluggish to power up and funereal to close down.  Otherwise the IQ is excellent (I think the RX100V has the same sensor) but I always shoot raw because the JPEG conversion is crummy.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #7 on: 15 January, 2018, 04:30:27 pm »
I'm also looking for a good solution for Vlogs. I'm a Canon fan-boy but Canon shoot themselves in the foot time and time again with a lack of external Mic. input and lack of 4K.

Assuming you are OK with built-in Mic (buy a stick on "dead cat" for it) and lack of 4K then Canon's Dual-Pixel auto-focus is the very best in the industry for holding focus on a face.

I'm actually thinking of going for a used Canon 70D DSLR and a "pancake" lens.  That gives me the Dual-pixel, articulated screen and external Mic.

....a rethink leads me to the Canon 200D DSLR.  It packs the 80D sensor, articulating screen, dual-pixel focus and external mic.

I used to have the 100D and loved the compact size.  This seems to have moved things on a lot and it could, when married with a "pancake" 28mm, be a perfect "professional" Vlogging camera.

« Reply #8 on: 15 January, 2018, 04:31:58 pm »
Unfortunately a dslr is too big for me though.  Portability is very important for what I want.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #9 on: 15 January, 2018, 04:54:36 pm »
Unfortunately a dslr is too big for me though.  Portability is very important for what I want.

Check out the RODE Videomic ME for Smartphones.

I think it may be the route I take.

https://youtu.be/2OvVJg9Ulw0

« Reply #10 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:26:56 am »
Interesting.  Must investigate that one.  Thanks.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #11 on: 16 January, 2018, 10:09:39 pm »

I just ordered one of these for a tenner.  I'll let you know how it shounds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Lavalier-Lapel-Microphone-Windshield-Mic-Apple-iPhone-Smartphone/263416121631?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If it works then it keeps things very cheap and simple.  I can mount the phone on a small tripod for "studio" Vlogs or on a selfie-stick for walk-around stuff.  Using the Lapel Mic keeps things quite discreet.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #12 on: 19 January, 2018, 05:01:51 pm »

I just ordered one of these for a tenner.  I'll let you know how it shounds.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Professional-Lavalier-Lapel-Microphone-Windshield-Mic-Apple-iPhone-Smartphone/263416121631?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

If it works then it keeps things very cheap and simple.  I can mount the phone on a small tripod for "studio" Vlogs or on a selfie-stick for walk-around stuff.  Using the Lapel Mic keeps things quite discreet.

I received the Lavalier mic today and I have to say that, with the small "dead-cat" fitted, it's very impressive for the price.
I had a wander around my garden in moderate winds this afternoon and there's no trace of any wind noise.
I had to use the extender/adapter cable (included) for my Android phone (I think it's designed for the iphone).

It gives quite a rich tone, not "tinny" at all.  It works very nicely with my Galaxy S7 Edge on a Selfie stick as the camera is stabilised.
Since we intend to travel in our Motorhome, and VLOG our exploits, the Selfie stick allows you to capture the environment around you, more so than the awkward arm's-length technique.

The front (selfie) camera is 1080p, but the front camera is 4K, with a selection of useful manual controls.  I can see it producing some really nice footage, with a very easy way to add decent quality audio commentary.

I'm a very satisfied customer and my search for a Vlog camera is over (saving me a few hundred quid)

« Reply #13 on: 15 March, 2018, 03:19:57 pm »
I have splurged on the RODE Videomic ME.  It is shipped from Australia and will not be with me before April.  Something to look forward to.