Author Topic: Where/How to get a good 1.5mm Allen key?  (Read 5247 times)

Re: Where/How to get a good 1.5mm Allen key?
« Reply #25 on: 19 January, 2018, 01:24:15 pm »
IIRC 'grub screw' is not a term that the rest of the 'English speaking' world understands.

For example IIRC the yanks call them 'set screws' and there may be other variations too.

True, but I didn't particularly want to order them from abroad, and wait three weeks for delivery.  I was looking for somewhere in the UK that could post them, so they'd arrive in a few days, and grub screw is a common term here.
Actually, it is rocket science.

« Reply #26 on: 19 January, 2018, 01:31:24 pm »
Talking about grub screws, the handles on my internal doors all use a tiny grub screw with a hex head to secure them on.
Many have worked loose over the years. Where is a good source of these?
Also how woudl I find the size given an example grub screw in my hand? I have a set of vernier calipers somewhere.

Biggsy

• A bodge too far
  • Twit @iceblinker
    • My stuff on eBay
« Reply #27 on: 19 January, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
Examples from a very quick check, not necessarily the best:

6mm: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F191262981180

4 & 6mm: https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F281208396283

Just use "M3 torx" as your search string, nothing more.
●●●  My eBay items  ●●●  Twitter  ●●●

« Reply #28 on: 19 January, 2018, 02:00:24 pm »
IIRC 'grub screw' is not a term that the rest of the 'English speaking' world understands.

For example IIRC the yanks call them 'set screws' and there may be other variations too.

True, but I didn't particularly want to order them from abroad, and wait three weeks for delivery.  I was looking for somewhere in the UK that could post them, so they'd arrive in a few days, and grub screw is a common term here.

I understand that, but do bear in mind that those sellers may be wanting to sell to the largest market and may use different terminology for that reason. Also I have noticed that fastener manufacturers may use their own (different) terminology and vendors may simply reproduce that.

There are plenty of ways in which these things can be described so that you would not find them using certain searches.

cheers

« Reply #29 on: 19 January, 2018, 03:00:09 pm »
Talking about grub screws, the handles on my internal doors all use a tiny grub screw with a hex head to secure them on.
Many have worked loose over the years. Where is a good source of these?
Also how woudl I find the size given an example grub screw in my hand? I have a set of vernier calipers somewhere.
Remove the screw and take it into Clerkenwell screws for a match.
Oops! There I go again. Me and Clerkenwell screws  ::-)  :D
Only open until lunchtime on a Saturday.

« Reply #30 on: 19 January, 2018, 03:32:41 pm »
Thanks Jurek. I am I to picture men and women in brown shop coats? While behind then there is a floor to ceiling set of drawers, resembling Mr Olivandrrs Wand Shoppe in Harry Potter?

How do real shops like that ever survive in that London these days, when other shops are selling bowls of Frosties for five quid a pop?

« Reply #31 on: 19 January, 2018, 06:26:50 pm »
Thanks Jurek. I am I to picture men and women in brown shop coats? While behind then there is a floor to ceiling set of drawers, resembling Mr Olivandrrs Wand Shoppe in Harry Potter?

How do real shops like that ever survive in that London these days, when other shops are selling bowls of Frosties for five quid a pop?

Pop in there, and ask them for some fork handles. ;D

« Reply #32 on: 19 January, 2018, 07:16:11 pm »

That is precisely what you'd find (no women though and not sure about the brown overalls).  You show them what you want at the counter and they disappear to the bowels of the aforementioned stacks of shelves & drawers & return (almost always) unerringly with a match.  Beats a website any day of the week!
The sound of one pannier flapping

« Reply #33 on: 19 January, 2018, 07:23:14 pm »

I've no idea how they survive - other than by knowing their $h!t, as referenced above.
If you're expecting brown shop coats, prepare to be disappointed.
Chain-smoking elderly men of Asian origin is what you will find.
I'd a period of around 4 years when I'd little reason to shop there.
On my return,  I was shocked to find that they appeared to have aged by about 20 years  :o   :(
I'm sad to say that I'll be surprised if CS are with us in their current form for much longer.
They don't appear to have any young staff.

FWIW I was chief bolt buyer (not really my job description, but there y'go) for the museum next door to where TimO works for the best part of six years.
It was nice to walk into CS to buy stuff for myself, present my debit card to pay for the goods, only to have it pushed back across the counter to me with the words 'No, that's not necessary'.

ETA: X-Posted with Toontra

« Reply #34 on: 19 January, 2018, 07:58:18 pm »
It only covers fairly recent times, but on Google Streetview in July 2008 and September of last year, Clerkenwell Screws don't look significantly different. :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #35 on: 19 January, 2018, 08:21:33 pm »
Hmm.  Could there be a form of L-space that warps spacetime around proper hardware shops?

Pterry would know...   :(

« Reply #36 on: 19 January, 2018, 08:23:13 pm »
It only covers fairly recent times, but on Google Streetview in July 2008 and September of last year, Clerkenwell Screws don't look significantly different. :)

Not entirely sure of your point, Tim.
Care to expand?
(If truth be known, I'm rapidly losing interest)  ;)
My point is that while the shopfront hasn't changed in as long as I've known it, the staff are showing signs of having significantly aged - and not necessarily in a good way...

« Reply #37 on: 19 January, 2018, 10:17:53 pm »
Not entirely sure of your point, Tim.
Care to expand?
(If truth be known, I'm rapidly losing interest)  ;)
My point is that while the shopfront hasn't changed in as long as I've known it, the staff are showing signs of having significantly aged - and not necessarily in a good way...

Pretty much just what you said, it hasn't changed in 9 years, which in London is unusual although not unique.