Author Topic: Sora Sti front shifter  (Read 1209 times)

Sora Sti front shifter
« on: 18 January, 2018, 10:09:06 am »
Morning all, having a senior moment so please forgive a daft question.

I’ve just bought a new Genesis Croix de Fer 10 with Sora 9 speed transmission. Front crank is a compact double, is the front shifter double specific or do they have an unused third position that theoretically allows the use of a triple crank?

Thanks in advance

A

Re: Sora Sti front shifter
« Reply #1 on: 18 January, 2018, 11:41:58 am »
No, modern Shimano front shifters are indexed. You'd need to get the triple-specific shifter.

Actually if you want to DIY it you probably just need this part:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/gear-spares/shimano-sora-str3030-main-lever-assembly-left-y05v98010/

« Reply #2 on: 18 January, 2018, 12:42:55 pm »
Rather than triple cs, a wider range cassette? 

edit.  from the spec looks like CDF10's Sora GS RD must be close to max capacity with the 34t cassette(?)
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #3 on: 19 January, 2018, 12:19:42 am »
at one time a few Shimano LH STIs were in fact compatible with both doubles and triples, but I don't think that is any longer the case.

If you need lower gears, might I suggest a super-compact double chainset of some kind? Spa do one which with a BB to match will come in at about fifty-odd quid. You can have a 26-46 double for example. 

Just a thought...

cheers

« Reply #4 on: 19 January, 2018, 05:49:45 am »
Thanks for the thoughts, I’m hoping I’ve enough oomph in me for the next few years to push along a standard compact double with an 11-34, I’m just considering options if I can’t............

A

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #5 on: 19 January, 2018, 09:31:08 am »
Don't worry. In a couple of years Shimano will have integrated Di2 into the saddle so you change gears with your arse and everyone will be riding 1 x transmissions with 60 tooth cassettes made from unobtainium.

Bosch will have produced a hybrid mid drive knee joint which haz compatibility issues with SRAM and Campag will still be ridden by people who buy KTM underpants. Or something...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.