Author Topic: Old Bagger's walking trip - Pembrokeshire Coastal Path - 14/6 - 2/7 2018  (Read 18314 times)

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
All looks pretty.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
Bugger. Looks as though it’s all over. Just short of 8 miles today from Dale to Dale via St Ann’s Head. For the last 3 miles my right calf was becoming more and more painful and now it has seized up. I had another 4 orcso olanned back to Herbrandston, carefully timed to use causeways at low tide to cur several miles of roads.

Bugger.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
Bugger.  Bad luck matey.
I was looking forward to photos from Dale (S) onwards as they would have brought back some good memories.
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Hope the leg sorts itself out Peter. You taking enough liquids on board?
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I took some today on the Dale peninsula but it was very foggy.

Here's hoping for a miraculous overnight recovery. 
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

Basil

• Help me!
I would suggest teh BEER.  It always helps.

Can you have a good soak in a bath and drink plenty of non beer?

I hope it clears up.

It's looked like a fabulous place.

Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph

Cudzoziemiec

I took some today on the Dale peninsula but it was very foggy.
Foggy liquids? That would be scrumpy.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
This train has been diverted via Stroud! Apparently the track through the Severn Tunnel is being electrified. This is a very scenic route...

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
My leg is still very tight so I am convinced that stopping for now was the right thing to do.

However, I saw the weather forecast for next week - heat wave all over the UK. I have booked a week in Newgale for Jan and me. Poor Jan suffers in the heat, and I reckon that if it's 25°C in St. Davids it's likely to be 30°C here. Also, the pollen count is likely to be a lot higher here than on the Atlantic coast of Wales.

Depending on how things are, I might to some short evening walks, but I don't fancy slogging my way up and down those slopes in searing heat.

Basil

• Help me!
Coincidentally, my son had to bail out of his coast walk on Wednesday due to constant rain.
He and a mate are walking the entire Welsh Coast Path in 2, 3 or 4 day segments every now and then.  They started from his home in Cardiff nearly 2 years ago, and I reckon they'll be in their 50s before the finish. Or in their 60s if they return via Offa's Dike as they now talking about.

This week's segment was supposed to be Burry Port to Saundersfoot but I got a call from a very fed up pair and drove down to Pendine to rescue them.  I was quite surprised by their tale of woe as here, only a few miles away, the weather was fine.

Cudzoziemiec

This train has been diverted via Stroud! Apparently the track through the Severn Tunnel is being electrified. This is a very scenic route...
You can wave to Alice and she'll give you Pimms! Slight correction though, the Severn Tunnel is not being electrified, work is being done to repair corrosion which has occurred to the electrification equipment that was installed last year. They haven't even turned on the current yet, so this does not seem to bode well for reliability. The Tunnel is a very damp, aggressive environment, with underground streams.

Coincidentally, my son had to bail out of his coast walk on Wednesday due to constant rain.
He and a mate are walking the entire Welsh Coast Path in 2, 3 or 4 day segments every now and then.

My mate has been doing it with a friend for the past 3 or 4 years, non-continuous sections here and there as time has permitted.  Their being based in Chester has been great for me because most of the south and west bits have been managed by the booking of cottages (St Davids, Saundersfoot, Stackpole, Parrog, Loughour) and invitations to other friends to stay, in return for the odd lift to the start or from the end. And the provision of alcohol for the evenings. I thought that was coming to an end, as they just have the Newport to Chester stretch left and the 'Jester's Hat' bit round where the Taf, Towy and Gwendraeth estuaries merge - for which they will stay at ours. But he announced last month that they'd accidentally done a bit of the Offa's Dyke path, so I can expect some more free cottage holidays in the Marches for the next couple of years.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
You can wave to Alice and she'll give you Pimms! Slight correction though, the Severn Tunnel is not being electrified, work is being done to repair corrosion which has occurred to the electrification equipment that was installed last year. They haven't even turned on the current yet, so this does not seem to bode well for reliability. The Tunnel is a very damp, aggressive environment, with underground streams.

M'lud...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-44493847

Who could possibly doubt the veracity of the BBC?

Cudzoziemiec

The BBC has avoided innacuracy by avoiding precision.
The closure is due to a £2.8bn project to electrify the south Wales main line for GWR's new electric trains.
True.
The track inside the four-mile Severn Tunnel is to be renewed, while "further electrification works" are planned. The track will also be lowered in the two Patchway tunnels.
I don't know about the track replacement, that sounds like work that has to be done in any case every so-many years, and I expect the track lowering at Patchway is to provide headroom for the OLE. But the OLE in the Severn Tunnel was installed last year – a conductor bar rather than the usual catenary wire, because there wouldn't be headroom for that. This work is to repair the effects of corrosion to that equipment (as well as the track work).

It's all "due to" the electrification project, just that some of it shouldn't have had to happen!

A quick look at the history of the tunnel build reveals that they experienced all sorts of problems regarding water ingress.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
I have returned to Pembrokeshire, this time with my dear wife. We have taken rooms in Newgale for a week, partly because I didn’t want to miss out on the glorious weather, and partly because fresh Atlantic air will be a lot better for her dodgy lungs/nasal organ combo than the rancid Southend stuff. There may be some more sea wall walking but there will also be a good deal of beach-lounging. I have Speedeaux, or at least a French alternative purchased in Avignon last year.

Wowbagger

• Former Sylph
With hindsight, my pulled muscle was a blessing in disguise. The heat and unbroken sunshine for what would have been my final 5 days would have been unbearable.