Author Topic: Piano disposal  (Read 3772 times)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: Piano disposal
« Reply #25 on: 13 March, 2018, 02:26:26 pm »
You are asking the chap who was previously 'A Warwickshire Lad'...

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #26 on: 14 March, 2018, 05:28:42 pm »
Doh! Everyone keeps laughing at me when I mention piano and three flights of stairs.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #27 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:17:41 pm »
Did your Gumtree take materialise?

« Reply #28 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:27:06 pm »
Amazingly, yes. This afternoon & on time! It obviously went to bible-bashers, as The Lord is going to bless me bountifully for my troubles apparently, but that's nicer than most Gumtree buyers bother to say. AFIAC it could be firewood now, but it's I spose it's good to know it has a use.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #29 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:32:21 pm »
RESULT!  ;D
72 hours - not bad!

« Reply #30 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:36:19 pm »
I had half a dozen nibbles in the end via Gumtree. More than I'd had in 6 months of posting it elsewhere, so good tip, thanks Helly.

It was costing the 'buyer' £120 to have it moved, so I hope it serves them well.
Haggerty F, Haggerty R, Tomkins, Noble, Carrick, Robson, Crapper, Dewhurst, Macintyre, Treadmore, Davitt.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:53:06 pm »
Cost of moving is the real killer with this kind of thing.
Great to find the piano will not be destroyed!

Auntie Helen

• 6 Wheels in Germany
« Reply #32 on: 15 March, 2018, 05:25:34 am »
I ended up moving my Baby Grand to Germany because I couldn’t sell it. That cost 1300€ which was probably pretty much the value of the piano. But just throwing it on the tip seemed awful and it is enjoying its escape from Brexit I think.
My blog on cycling in Germany and eating German cake – http://www.auntiehelen.co.uk

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #33 on: 15 March, 2018, 07:50:30 am »
That's excellent news, and a damned good insurance policy for you should there be an afterlife, CAMRAman!
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #34 on: 18 March, 2018, 05:54:18 am »
Senior year in college 4 of us moved into a dormitory suite of rooms - and there was a piano in the living room.  None of us played. 
So, we advertised it.  Many were interested, but found it would cost $1/step x 56 steps to get it moved to ground floor.
We sold it to they guys downstairs from us for maybe $75 (in 1975).
Bought a couch at a local rummage sale (paid with the windfall), drove it back atop my VW Beetle - a bit of string and some arms out of windows holding it in place.
Heard the piano played for a while, then one day noticed a lot of wood splinters on the 40 steps below their floor.  Apparently they'd sold it, and carefully slid it down the concrete stairs to deliver.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #35 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:01:07 pm »
The piano movers associated with Piano Auctions mentioned by Wowbagger upthread (G&B IIRC) are very quick, very slick and most efficient.
They are not cheap.

I think its around £250 each time, for a ground floor move between two London addresses.

Still, David's pianos might have stopped breeding.

For now.