Author Topic: To sleep or not  (Read 1417 times)

To sleep or not
« on: 13 March, 2018, 08:45:03 pm »
Probably should have posted this in Audax as they'll have plenty of experience of this. On Saturday I need to be up early to get a flight. Probably need to be up by 0130. Wondering if it's actually worth going to bed. Earliest I could get to be would probably be 9pm.

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
Re: To sleep or not
« Reply #1 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:46:03 pm »
Short haul or long haul?
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2 on: 13 March, 2018, 08:54:35 pm »
Short then a coach drive of maybe an hour

Nelson Longflap

• Riding a bike is meant to be easy ...
« Reply #3 on: 13 March, 2018, 09:01:30 pm »
The correct answer (probably) is that it doesn't really matter. If it were me I'd get some horizontal time, but I'm a poor sleeper when there's an unmissable deadline so sleep would be unlikely for me. Still worth getting some rest and relaxation though ... YMMV
The worst thing you can do for your health is NOT ride a bike

« Reply #4 on: 13 March, 2018, 09:24:06 pm »
How far from home to the airport? Presume you will drive it?

A

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #5 on: 13 March, 2018, 11:14:57 pm »
I wouldn't bother personally.

I tend to be in bed late (11:30+) so staying up another couple of hours wouldn't be an issue.  I'd look for snoozing on the flight and coach.

Is this a holiday? If so you can take day 1 easy.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #6 on: 14 March, 2018, 06:51:26 am »
It's about an hour's drive. My feeling is to no sleep or maybe just a power nap

« Reply #7 on: 14 March, 2018, 07:46:05 am »
Power nap - why wouldn't you?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8 on: 14 March, 2018, 08:30:46 am »
Short then a coach drive of maybe an hour

Definitely have a nap before driving the coach.
It is simpler than it looks.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 14 March, 2018, 12:23:04 pm »
This all depends on whether you're likely to sleep anyway.  I've only recently acquired the ability to be asleep before 1:30am, and certainly not consistently.  Lying in bed failing to sleep is usually counterproductive, but may be preferable to other activities that increase your tiredness level.

« Reply #10 on: 14 March, 2018, 12:33:35 pm »
I find that early morning and middle of night awakenings cause more sleep concern than a normal sleep pattern. I tend to lie there wishing I was falling asleep but hoping the alarm goes off when I do fall asleep or that I've set it right so I get up in good time. As a result it usually results in limited or no sleep anyway so I could have done something more useful.

0130 isn't a particularly early start, it's a late night (some of us might just think it's a night out but I'm a bit old for that now).

If you haven't got much to do on arrival after the coach journey then it's not worth bothering IMO going to bed. You can sleep on the plane and coach and they generally insist you wake up and get off at your destination.
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped