Author Topic: Integrated headset help for dummies  (Read 1191 times)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Integrated headset help for dummies
« on: 22 May, 2018, 11:27:04 pm »
wht is the part in top-right of this piccy??

And am I likely to source a "lower" replacement for the similar-looking Cne Creek model on my Specialized?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Re: Integrated headset help for dummies
« Reply #1 on: 22 May, 2018, 11:37:10 pm »
I'd call it a 'top cover' but I'm sure it has many names.  You will find a shorter version I am sure but it might be as easy to get someone with a lathe to modify the one you have.

cheers

« Reply #2 on: 23 May, 2018, 06:40:22 am »
Loads in various depths on eBay always. Tweets have ultra-low stack Crane Creek available on there, and no doubt oodles of other sellers.

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #3 on: 23 May, 2018, 09:01:49 am »
Thanks guys - that's a good start  :thumbsup:
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #4 on: 23 May, 2018, 10:30:50 am »
It's known as a "cone spacer" and there are loads of of lower heights available. Here's a 17.5mm tall one for example (assuming yours is 1 1/8":

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FSA-H2354A-17-5mm-1-1-8-Headset-Cone-Spacer-50mm-OD-/282949893532

Note the one in the link is coming from taiwan so try to locate a more local one if possible.

« Reply #5 on: 23 May, 2018, 07:13:38 pm »
I'd call it a 'top cover' but I'm sure it has many names.  You will find a shorter version I am sure but it might be as easy to get someone with a lathe to modify the one you have.

cheers

You need the top and bottom diameters to stay the same - not what turning down with a lathe will do  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

« Reply #6 on: 23 May, 2018, 08:50:35 pm »
you could take about 1/3 off the length and the top would only be ~1mm larger diameter, which wouldn't cause any harm. Spacers vary in size more than that.

BTW some of these parts have flat bottoms but most have various small steps on them. Obviously if you get a new one it needs to be the same shape underneath, else there will be trouble.

cheers

mattc

• Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #7 on: 24 May, 2018, 10:23:57 am »
All sorted by my LBS ( in an unprecedented 15minutes of competence). :)

I thought it was going to be an expensive/tedious thing to fix:

BTW some of these parts have flat bottoms but most have various small steps on them. Obviously if you get a new one it needs to be the same shape underneath, else there will be trouble.
Yes, I was afraid of that. Tried to get a proper Cane Creek, but they don't seem to do them anymore (phoned distributor, etc ...).
It looked the only option was to buy a complete unit with a lower stack height - min cost £23 even on the bay. Plus fitting time.

So I was v happy when the LBS found an unbranded-but-comaptible part in their bits box and fitted it FOC!

They also pointed out that the actual bearings on this bike are a Specialized-specific component. Bloody typical. Worth knowing for the future. I shall not be seeking out bikes with integrated headsets as my next purchase ...
Has never ridden RAAM
---------

« Reply #8 on: 24 May, 2018, 11:24:10 am »
getting new bearings for some of these headsets is such a monumental (not to mention expensive) PITA that I think it is worth a stab at making the bearings less likely to cause trouble. Some things that I have done include

- at intervals pop the seals and repack the bearings with more, better, grease and
- convert a cartridge bearing with clipped balls to one that is 'full complement' so that it is stronger (more balls).

The second of these can be a bit fiddly; some ACBs have a small lip on the inner race that, if ground down slightly, permits the bearing to be reassembled as a full complement variant.  However a surprising number of these metric bearings are filled with imperial-sized balls; e.g. 1/8" ones are very common.

cheers

« Reply #9 on: 24 May, 2018, 01:00:04 pm »
I very much doubt if any bearing manufacturer will make a special unit just for a bike maker. It’sjust A question of getting the number right. It is usually finely engraved on the outside of the bearing - then just put the size into a well known internet marketplace and part with a very few ££.

By the way, bike shops have been known to stock sizes for specific bikes, from bearing Warehouses - there’s a very good margin to be made!