Author Topic: London.. what to do?  (Read 1460 times)

London.. what to do?
« on: 14 June, 2018, 02:50:29 pm »
the big daughter has just finished her degree, waiting for results, final shows etc. and has admitted to feeling at a bit of a loose end, missing the routine a little.
I've told her to make the most of being in London for a few weeks and she's challenged me to find 3 'cool' things to do!
Her degree is in Textile Design so she has done lots of galleries, exhibitions & shows over the last 3 years and is looking for other things.
so far i've come up with a trip to the Old Bailey to watch a trial, but looking for other suggestions along similar lines and quite importantly, cheap or free.

Beardy

• Shedist
Re: London.. what to do?
« Reply #2 on: 14 June, 2018, 02:55:10 pm »
Helping out at a homeless centre
The Zoo
Swimming in the Hampsted Heath ponds
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

Beardy

• Shedist
« Reply #3 on: 14 June, 2018, 02:58:40 pm »
compile a list of tall structures with public access, access as many of them as she can and write a blog on each. Something like the Munros for townies. Create a points system with extra points for climbing them rather than using a lift. She might even create a phenomenon and make her/your name famous.
For every complex problem in the world, there is a simple and easily understood solution that’s wrong.

« Reply #4 on: 14 June, 2018, 07:31:15 pm »
I can't remember how long ahead you have to book, but going to see the Ceremony of the Keys (basically ritual locking up for the night) at the Tower of London is free - you just have to apply.

*See if you can get tickets to the houses of parliament?
*I know she may have been to lots of them, but I would still recommend a couple of hours (at least) wondering round the major museums and galleries, finding the obscure nooks and crannies - there's loads of cool stuff that is easily overlooked. (e.g. British Museum, National (Portrait) Gallery, V&A, Science Museum, Natural History Museum.)

Other things I wish I'd done (or done more of) while I was still a student in London:
* Walk the river from the Thames Barrier to Hammersmith (and indeed do the Thames Barrier visitor centre)
* Cheap tickets at the Royal Opera House
* And the National Theatre
* William Morris House.
* Other more or less obscure museums: The Estorick Collection; Wallace Collection; Courtauld Institute; Museum of Domestic Design (at Middlesex University); St Bride's Institute; Type Museum; Museum of Brands; Design Museum; Museum of London; Coram's Fields/Foundlings Museum; V&A Museum of Childhood; Sir John Soane's; National Army Museum; RAF Museum; Imperial War Museum; London Transport Museum; Jewish Museum; Temple of Mithras; National Maritime Museum; Wellcome Collection...
*Go watch the racing at Herne Hill Velodrome (free?)/Olympic Velodrome (not free?)
*Parks and Viewpoints - Greenwich, Hampstead Heath, Parliament Hill, etc.
*Pub Theatre/Comedy - check Time Out listings?
*Free concerts at the various conservatoires & music schools (and also at the music venues, such as the South Bank, Barbican, ROH &c.)
"Queue for a Prom at the Albert Hall - take a picnic.
*Go see BBC radio comedy recordings (usually free?)
*Universities & Museums often have interesting lectures/events that are cheap or free?

(Edited to add a couple more suggestions)

« Reply #5 on: 14 June, 2018, 07:44:40 pm »
21 Fenchurch Street.
(Walkie-Talkie bldg)
It is free.
https://skygarden.london/sky-garden
She'll need her passport and to book.
No rush to get out once you are in there.
Breathtaking views..
And a (spendy) bar.
No obligation to make use of that.
Turn up before 18:00 for the full outdoor, 32nd floor experience.

« Reply #6 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:34:20 pm »
Emirates Cable Car.
Less than five quid to get 900 feet (ok, I'm exaggerating) above The Thames - But it beats walking over The Dome for something like £50.00.
You can look down at the people who have paid to do this while you cross the river using the cable car.

« Reply #7 on: 14 June, 2018, 08:53:39 pm »
Good tip about the Walkie Talkie. Better value than the Shard, though not as high.

+1 for the museum of childhood at Bethnal Green.
Take a walk round Camden Lock/market.
London Bridge museum - and you can walk over the top.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8 on: 14 June, 2018, 09:10:13 pm »

Is that the one for USAnians?  ;D

« Reply #9 on: 14 June, 2018, 09:14:35 pm »

Is that the one for USAnians?  ;D

Sorry, Tower Bridge.
I’m a tourist from out of town myself but I’ve been working in London Bridge area today so I’ve got it in my mind.

« Reply #10 on: 14 June, 2018, 10:15:21 pm »
Also, do some of the things that become difficult to do once you've entered the world of work: go to one of the market pubs for a breakfast pint; enjoy a cheap daytime film at the Prince Charles (do any of the other London cinemas still offer these?); just enjoy a day of flânerie wandering the streets and watching the world go by.

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #11 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:21:05 pm »
Good tip about the Walkie Talkie. Better value than the Shard, though not as high.

It has the added bonus that you are inside looking out.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #12 on: 15 June, 2018, 01:34:19 pm »
Also completely free and no booking required - go and have coffee at the top of the new gallery at the Tate Modern. It's got a fabulous view of St. Pauls.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

« Reply #13 on: 15 June, 2018, 02:43:16 pm »
A degree in Textile Design?
Visit the Zandra Rhodes Fashion and Textiles Museum in Bermondsey Street.
Bermondsey Street is itself a hugely cool area. Stroll down there and also visit the glass making place and the White Cube Gallery.
Then call in to the shop which makes deisgner dog collars and dog coats. Can't remember which Hollywood film featured a dog outfitted by them.

Visit romcom film locations - Bridget jones flat is in Borough MArket in Green Dragon Court. Borough Market is quite good anyway.

On a Saturday do the Bermondsey Beer Mile - a walk between all the craft breweries in Bermondsey.

Take a riverboat trip down the Thames from the London Eye to Woolwich.

Just stroll along the Thames along the South Bank.

Visit the Wallace Collection to see Marie Antionetts bedroom furniture. And the Laughing Cavalier. Who isnt a Cavalier and he aint laughing.

« Reply #14 on: 15 June, 2018, 08:01:15 pm »
A degree in Textile Design?
Visit the Zandra Rhodes Fashion and Textiles Museum in Bermondsey Street.
Bermondsey Street is itself a hugely cool area. Stroll down there and also visit the glass making place and the White Cube Gallery.
Then call in to the shop which makes deisgner dog collars and dog coats. Can't remember which Hollywood film featured a dog outfitted by them.

Visit romcom film locations - Bridget jones flat is in Borough MArket in Green Dragon Court. Borough Market is quite good anyway.

On a Saturday do the Bermondsey Beer Mile - a walk between all the craft breweries in Bermondsey.

Take a riverboat trip down the Thames from the London Eye to Woolwich.

Just stroll along the Thames along the South Bank.

Visit the Wallace Collection to see Marie Antionetts bedroom furniture. And the Laughing Cavalier. Who isnt a Cavalier and he aint laughing.
All of which, is a good call.