Author Topic: The Woodman and The Woodman's Daughter 100/50km, Saturday 13th April 2019  (Read 4366 times)

Tomsk

• Fueled by cake since 1957
    • tomsk.co.uk
...And so we turn from PBP qualifiers to a gentler form of Audaxing. ECE friendly start time of 10:00 for the 100km and 09:00 for the 50km. [Over 6 hours for the latter to get round!]

Refreshments at the start and a cream tea at the finish for both events. £10 entry fee.

If anyone would like to help, you'd be most welcome - all or part of the day. There will be a helpers' ride too if anyone is interested, but I can't do the Saturdays 30/03 and 6/04 and have limited time on the two Sundays prior - maybe just to the 50km for my GRAND SLAM OF SHINY.

Deano4

• Trouble
Hi Tom.

I am happy to help out on the day.

:)
ACME - Suffolk Branch

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Hi Tom.

I am happy to help out on the day.

:)

:thumbsup:

jiberjaber

• ... Fancy Pants \o/ ...
  • ACME S&M^2
Probably OK to help (will confirm after checking my diary with any suggested dates)
Regards,

Joergen

Dropped you a mail Tomsk. I should be about and I can also do midweek helpers ride/route check after the end of March.

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
I'm also happy to assist on the day.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
 :thumbsup: Thanks chaps - anyone want to do a Helpers' Ride? I have limited time on the two weekends before, but might ride midweek, or just the 'Daughter' 50km.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Depending on the day ,I could ride mid week
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Mid-week Helpers' Rides, my free days:

100km - Currently any day Monday 8th - Thursday 11th April. If anyone would rather ride next week that's ok by me, as the sooner it's checked the sooner the corrected route sheet and info can go out to riders.

50km - Wednesday 3rd April, early-ish morning start; I have work booked for the afternoon. The rest of next week is pretty full up.

Or you can go at the weekend regardless - my main aim is for the routes to be checked.

BFC

Tomsk - can you give me a reminder or link to the Grand Slam of Shiny "rules", I know I've seen it before but haven't been able to track it down. I'm tempted to have Wednesday 3rd off work to ride the 50Km in the morning, may even try the 100Km in the afternoon.

.. ride the 50Km in the morning, may even try the 100Km in the afternoon.

General question. Is it allowable to ride more than one audax per day? For some reason I thought you could only do a single ride, but not sure the source of that. If only we had one place where all rules were documented as a single entity ...

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

Phil W

.. ride the 50Km in the morning, may even try the 100Km in the afternoon.

General question. Is it allowable to ride more than one audax per day? For some reason I thought you could only do a single ride, but not sure the source of that. If only we had one place where all rules were documented as a single entity ...

You can't ride them concurrently.  So you could ride one after the other, but not say ride a 50km audax (such as Brazier's 50) as part of a 100km audax (such as Brazier's 100).

Phil W

I could possibly do a route check of the 50km one.  My favourite ECE route to your events intercepts it near Hatfield forest.   I am without car at the moment (connecting piston rod in wife's car snapped and punched a hole in the engine of her car last week) as my wife is using it.   So any checking would require riding over first.  I can probably fit a 140-150km in, but not a full 200km day out.  If you already have someone for the 50km route check then let me know.  I would probably ride it Sat 6th April.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
Tomsk - can you give me a reminder or link to the Grand Slam of Shiny "rules" ...

50 - 600km through all the brevets, correct distances and no substitution of longer for shorter ones. 'Grandest Slam' topped off with a 1000km - I made that one up too!

Not many 50 and 150km calendar rides to choose from, so they're often DIYs - my 150km route is Dunmow, Trumpington, Red Lodge, Halstead, Dunmow. A truncated REM 200km basically.

:facepalm: we booked plumbers and electricians for the 3rd April! Guess I'll be riding on the day, I'll work on Alys to see if I can get her out.

Happy to ride the 100km 8th, 9th or possibly 11th.
Prefer to start after 9.30.
Could do the 50km on the 3rd if you need extra riders depending on start time.

Cheers.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Mid-week Helpers' Rides, my free days:

100km - Currently any day Monday 8th - Thursday 11th April. If anyone would rather ride next week that's ok by me, as the sooner it's checked the sooner the corrected route sheet and info can go out to riders.

50km - Wednesday 3rd April, early-ish morning start; I have work booked for the afternoon. The rest of next week is pretty full up.

Or you can go at the weekend regardless - my main aim is for the routes to be checked.

I didn't realise how congested April is!! We could ECE the Maldon beer festival via the 100k route check??
Regards,

Joergen

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
My window of opportunity for route-checks this week is:

50km, Wednesday 3rd April - 09:00-13:00

100km, Friday 5th April - 08:00-14:00, or could start late morning to say 18:00

BFC

My plan is to head over to Tomsk Towers for 9:00 on Wednesday 3rd April. Whats the parking situation midweek in the car park opposite? - could travel by car and deliver the wheels.

Tomsk

• tomsk.co.uk
My plan is to head over to Tomsk Towers for 9:00 on Wednesday 3rd April. Whats the parking situation midweek in the car park opposite? - could travel by car and deliver the wheels.

:thumbsup: Car park is usually ok during the week. There's often something on in the pavilion though, not sure what on Wednesdays. Wheel delivery would be excellent!

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
My window of opportunity for route-checks this week is:

50km, Wednesday 3rd April - 09:00-13:00

100km, Friday 5th April - 08:00-14:00, or could start late morning to say 18:00

Afraid I can't make any of those :( May still be available to help on the day subject to how this weekend goes.
Regards,

Joergen

Really looking forward to this, this will be my first Audax.  My plan is as the below, anything I should do differently ?

* Arrive at 9:15am for pre ride refreshment (Is that early enough for a 10am depart?)
* Use my ride with GPS app in airplane mode (with route downloaded to phone) and take external USB battery pack with me
* Take printed route as back up
* Cash and card
* Spare tubes, levers, pump, multi tool
* Few bits of food and a bidon
* Lights & mudguards

Anything else, any tips?

Thanks in advance and thanks to Tom for organising

Your plans sound fine.
09.15 is plenty early enough to sign on, have a hot drink and a gossip.
Route is pretty straight forward.
Enjoy the day and don't start too fast.

jiberjaber

• ACME S&M^2
Really looking forward to this, this will be my first Audax.  My plan is as the below, anything I should do differently ?

* Arrive at 9:15am for pre ride refreshment (Is that early enough for a 10am depart?)
* Use my ride with GPS app in airplane mode (with route downloaded to phone) and take external USB battery pack with me
* Take printed route as back up
* Cash and card
* Spare tubes, levers, pump, multi tool
* Few bits of food and a bidon
* Lights & mudguards

Anything else, any tips?

Thanks in advance and thanks to Tom for organising

It'll be grand I expect - I would check your phone GPS still works in that mode though :) I know some don't.
Regards,

Joergen

:thumbsup: Thanks both