Author Topic: RR: Dr Foster's Winter Warmer 2007  (Read 1885 times)

Maladict

RR: Dr Foster's Winter Warmer 2007
« on: 12 April, 2008, 07:47:57 pm »
I tried getting the train to Cardiff this time, which worked out quite well, about 15 mins late pulling into Cardiff.  I didn't choose a very sensible route thru London from KX to Paddington, should've just gone down Euston Road.

I noticed at Paddington that one spoke on the rear wheel was very loose so did a quick bit of trueing up on the concourse, and then got the train.  On the ride up to Cardiff Gate it went again so I had to fettle with it at the roadside.  Finally got to the hotel (Ibis at Cardiff Gate) about 11.45 and they let me keep the bike in the room.  I had another wheel trueing session and took it out again for a while to check if it held up ok and it seemed much improved so I had a shower and went to bed at about 1.45 in the end!

Didn't get properly to sleep til about 3, and woke at 6 to get up for the ride.  Breakfast from 6.30 so I had some bran flakes and then rolled down to the start, which was all of 200 yards.  First thing I discovered was that the calendar page claim of left luggage facilities was inaccurate but I found Rollo who kindly put my bag in his car.

Amusingly, David Lewis told everyone it was 7.00 and we could start, and everyone just stood there.  We reluctantly set off, everyone immediately eschewing the route instruction to take the gap in the hedge and go town the path to St Mellons, and staying on the main road.  I guessed the locals knew what they were doing, and followed on.  By the time we were on the A48 and back on route it seemed that a bunch had escaped off the front, and there was no point trying to chase them, and we formed into a slower group.  A few of us shared the workload at the front on the section up to and round Newport and up until the start of the lanes... we didn't stay on the main road at this point.  Soon we crossed the Severn and I got chatting to a bloke from the Mildenhall 300k last year.  Things broke up a bit more after the crossing and I noticed my wheel was going out of true again so I stopped and upended the bike to have another fettle.  If it was going to be needing this every 30km then it could get tedious, and most of the remainder of the ride passed me whilst I did this.  I assumed at this point that I was now last.

I paused briefly again as I thought I heard the wheel rubbing the brakes, but it seemed OK, and was overtaken by an Irish rider who I managed to catch at a junction and I rode with him for a while.  We talked about the weather forecast (Metcheck had it wrong) and it turned out he worked for the Met Office.  I was finding the pace a little too much so backed off slightly.  It was around this time I discovered the noise was actually hissing from a slow puncture, which probably didn't help with the pace.  I was joined by Nuncio who worked out who I was from my accent and mention of Cambridge.  I made it to within 200 yards of the Slimbridge control before the puncture became too much to ride on.  Nuncio very helpfully queued for me whilst I replaced the inner.  Lesson learned: don't walk the bike down a muddy towpath immediately before changing the tube.  I was particularly worried about any grit getting inside the tyre and causing a secondary puncture.

By the time I'd finished this, food was ready - a hearty bowl of soup and beans on toast, most welcome.  I think everyone had gone by the time I left though  :-\

So set off down the canal towpath.  Bumpy bumpy.  I took a couple of minor wrong turns but got to Gloucester OK; discovered I wasn't actually last now as I got passed whilst changing GPS batteries which died as I was navigating thru the roadworks.  Was I *now* last?  I caught them up at the right turn off the A40 and left them on the climb, but the two new batteries had to be changed as they were not quite as tight as fit and bumps made the GPS switch off (a known problem with that make and model) so I got passed again, and had to catch 'em again.

Something most bizarre occurred on the way up; a blue car or MPV type vehicle coming the other way beeped and when I looked up the driver appeared to be mouthing off.  I caught the other two again, and the three of us stopped for the info control, and the same guy had apparently beeped at the other two and had gesticulated at them.  Anyone else?

They were suspecting a puncture, I checked they were OK to fix it and said I'd press on since I had a train to catch.  I saw them once more, as I paused for an energy bar and they were about 1/2 mile behind.  On the descent I stopped at a Texaco by the dual carriageway for some Lucozade and saw another, female, rider coming down the road, who was also on the ride; we had a short discussion about the route then pressed on towards Monmouth, me dropping her but then she overtook me in the centre of Monmouth as I checked where the control was.

There several riders at the control when I arrived, but by the time I left there was no-one, so I seemed to now be last.  I reckoned I ought to be able to get back in about 3 hours.  The climb over to Usk was OK and the view from the nice with sunset approaching was very nice.  The laney section from Usk back to Newport was hard work as it got dark, especially the final climb and descent to Newport, though it was fun descending the last bit as it was a decent surface.  My back wheel held up, at least!  I was pretty tired by now.  Discovered I no longer had my brevet card - d'oh!

In Newport I got to the point where you could turn left to retrace the outward route and was put off by the roadworks so decided to head for the hills, and found the route I had on the GPS was wrong, taking me through a pedestrian precinct.  I got back on route, and consulted the map again but decided that the lanes weren't such a good idea after all.  Tried to follow my nose back to the alternative option, and found myself in the pedestrian precinct again, being taunted by dodgy looking yoofs.  I ended up back at the same spot at the roadworks, and got on with cycling down there, which was much less bothersome than I'd expected.  Back on the A48 was fine and much easier than riding either the lanes or in Newport itself.  Back in St Mellons I had a new experience: my Solidlights running out for the first time ever (going to emergency 1W mode) which was plenty enough to get back.

Once I worked out where the entrance to the control was, it was 7.35, so this was one of my slowest 200s.  I have no idea how much time on the bike.  Well, I do because it was saying 13.2mph which means almost 10h.  Distance was 205km.  I realised I'd not much time to get back to Cardiff.  The route was quite hilly so I didn't stop long, just recovered my bag (thanks, Rollo) and pressed on.  I retraced my route from Friday evening, including the impromptu discovery that I could use a back entrance to the industrial estate rather than having to go via the M4 junction.  I thought I had almost 10 mins to spare, but maybe my clock was a bit slow, as the train was only 3 minutes away when I got on the platform.

The train arrived at Paddington 11 mins early.   I belted down Euston road at 20-25mph, having recovered from the ride somwhat, and having a tailwind. Unfortunately this was not quite enough to allow me to catch the 23.15 from KX (I arrived at 23.16) and so I got the 00.04 which got in at 01.16.   Got home about 01.40 and by the time I had a bath and checked acf it was about 0230.  No trouble sleeping this time and I didn't set an alarm and slept for 8h.

I certainly felt the effect of not having done a 200 for almost 3 months (all I've done is commuting, oh and a 1 mile fun run in November, and a general lack of sleep probably hasn't helped), and suffered the ignominy of being last and losing my brevet card.  And my first puncture since 2004.  It had to happen sometime.  I did see my first dead badger, though!

If I repeat this ride I might think about stronger wheels, and being a bit fitter!  It was nice to meet several ACF types too.  The jerseys are quite useful for identification, I should order some.