Author Topic: Which tent?  (Read 3100 times)

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
Which tent?
« on: 27 April, 2022, 11:41:43 am »
I have been looking at second hand tents and what is quick and easy to put up.

Have found the following
Khyam Sierra but no reviews on it
Khyam Igloo (but its very expensive)
Slumit Gobi
Vango Banshee 300

Needs -
1. budget of say a maximum of £70 (as I need to buy a sleeping mat of sorts, a yoga mat is too uncomfortable and I have a sleeping bag - cheap but it will do.
2. Needs to sleep at least 2 adults, even if its cosy
3. Quick to put up and down.
4. want a front porch
5. Be able to stand in it, I am 6ft.
6. Not bothered about weight as it will be on a motorcycle but carrying size is important as it will be strapped to the back seat.

thanks

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
Re: Which tent?
« Reply #1 on: 27 April, 2022, 11:46:50 am »
Stand or sit-up?

velosam

« Reply #2 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:11:41 pm »
Stand or sit-up?
definitely stand, especially to change and stuff. If I am going to do this I may as well enjoy it rather than simply bear it, but I appreciate may not work for me at that price range.

Also I figure to get one where the inner and outer pitch at the same time

« Reply #3 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:22:12 pm »
Well you can't stand in a Banshee, though a decent enough tent.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:22:19 pm »
If you want to sit up in it, perhaps a tipi or pyramid style tent, or mid as trendy people call them? A 2-person tent will generally sleep 2 snugly. A 3-person will be necessary to sleep 2 in more space.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:24:14 pm »
I have a Banshee 300.  It's a good value tent, but you're liable to get wet feet from condensation dripping through the mesh above the foot end if you're tall (or wriggly) and have more than one person in it.  (Can be used fine solo, sleeping diagonally.)

Obviously it's not a tent you can stand up in, and the porch space is little more than somewhere to leave shoes.

velosam

« Reply #6 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:49:17 pm »
thanks all. I think I will head to go outdoors on the weekend and have a play in their tent section, rather than doing it so blindly. I liked the idea of being able to erect a tent very, very quickly

« Reply #7 on: 27 April, 2022, 12:53:02 pm »
What was the tent that Wowbagger bought that had the small-ish footprint but was tall enough to stand up in?

(And is there a thread somewhere with comedy reports of camping in strong winds?)

« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:32:47 pm »
What was the tent that Wowbagger bought that had the small-ish footprint but was tall enough to stand up in?

(And is there a thread somewhere with comedy reports of camping in strong winds?)

I think that was his Terra Nova Laser Space. He may still have it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:36:10 pm »
Not that quick to put up either.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:38:34 pm »
I would google all the tents you are looking at to see how big they are: for example the Vango Banshee 300 is a backpacking tent and according to this https://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/15980268/vango-banshee-pro-300-backpacking-tent-15980268 is only just over a meter tall at its highest point...
I don't think you will get a tent you can stand up in for £70 new (apart from something like this https://www.argos.co.uk/product/9278826?clickSR=slp:term:camping%20toilet%20tent:1:40:1  ;) ) I don't know about second hand.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #11 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:49:48 pm »
Not that quick to put up either.

Indeed.  I put it up with Jan at one point (it's generally easier with two pairs of hands).  It seems that even when you know what you're doing, there's a lot of re-pegging to get the tension right, particularly on sloping ground.

« Reply #12 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:52:01 pm »

Nor any of the others on the list, as far as I can tell (can't see any information at all on the Khyam Sierra other than as a caravan awning ???).

I would have thought the only type of tents with room to stand up in are the big "car camping" style ones, rather than backpacking tents such as the Banshee. I count it as a bonus if I can sit up in a tent, and I'm only 171cm...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #13 on: 27 April, 2022, 01:59:14 pm »
"Backpacking tent you can stand up in" is a useful niche (particularly for people with upper limb impairments or poor balance, or if you're going to be struggling in and out of wetsuits or similar) that manufacturers seem reluctant to try to fill.

There are lightweight[1] tents at the car-camping end of the spectrum that you can stand in, but none are particularly cheap or quick to put up.

[1] In the Association of Lightweight Campers sense.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #14 on: 27 April, 2022, 02:20:22 pm »
The Terra Nova Laser Space II I can just stand up in, and it weighs less than 3kg.

Discontinued, though, and was far spendier than the OP's budget.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=85966.0
It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #15 on: 27 April, 2022, 03:16:59 pm »

I think that was his Terra Nova Laser Space. He may still have it.

I do have it. I also have an example of the "Wild Country"* equivalent, which I was given and have never used.

*I think that's what it's called. I would have to rummage to find it and confirm.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #16 on: 27 April, 2022, 03:50:48 pm »
I think it was called the Zephyros 3 Living or something like that.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

velosam

« Reply #17 on: 27 April, 2022, 04:19:15 pm »
I am looking at secondhand, but this is quite the minefield. Going to have to accept that standing up is out of the question. I really liked the slumit gobi 2, which even I could put up. I suppose its one of those things that the more I practice the better I will get.

Looking on the gooutdoors site there are a number of eurohike tents for sale. No idea of how good they are.

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #18 on: 27 April, 2022, 10:23:07 pm »
I'd go with the Vango, they have a long history of making excellent budget tents.

IanDG

• The p*** artist formerly known as 'Windy'
    • the_dandg_rouleur
« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2022, 10:24:29 pm »

That's why I wondered if it was a typo.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #20 on: 29 April, 2022, 09:39:11 pm »
Velosam, you have PM.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

velosam

« Reply #21 on: 30 April, 2022, 01:33:06 pm »
After going to go outdoors and actually seeing tents it quite eye opening.
Big thanks to Peter and Alison a tent is coming to me. Which means I can start my tent journey and get out of the house more.

Be prepared for more simple questions. I need to find my sleeping bag and get a mat and that's it.