Author Topic: Members' bikes  (Read 2442942 times)

Re: Members' bikes
« Reply #8825 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:22:36 pm »
Pinterest doesn’t work for me at all, so thanks for posting the photos.

Nice bicycle! You’ve done a good job with the complementary colours (chosen with a colour wheel?). I usually prefer silver components, but the black ones here make sure you don’t mistake this for a Bob Jackson from the eighties. What’s strapped to the left crank? I ask because I don’t see a magnet on the chain stay.

How does it ride? I periodically think about getting a Bob Jackson. They come across as workmanlike frames: beautiful but not pointlessly fussy or polished like the new wave of custom builders with slick websites and slick pricing. Bicycles for riding rather than Instagram.

Thanks, and yes I used a colour wheel online to check out contrasting colours and see what works.  Came out ok I reckon.  The thing on the crank is the cadence sensor, doesn't require a magnet.  My other bike has a speed and cadence sensor in one fitted into the chainstay, posh eh!  That does use a magnet however.

It took me a while to decide on this frame tbh.  Eventually I figured that steel is steel and the slick pricing didn't necessarily make for a better bike.  I wanted steel for comfort so didn't see the point of going for a 953 mega stiff frame and I've seen a few reports of cracked titanium frames.  It's a shame that the BJ website looks so dated, and I think some of the images of the frames on there are poor colour choices and can seem off putting unless you want a 'vintage look'.  When I popped into the factory to have a look they had some stunning paint jobs hanging in reception waiting for pick up so I decided to go for it.  The frame looks classy and just as good looking as any of the very expensive ones.  They explained they are cheaper because they make more.  It rides nicely, only done about 120 miles so far and longest was 40 so looking forward to a big audax to test the comfort level over long distance.

« Reply #8826 on: 18 April, 2018, 03:28:18 pm »
A few images re posted to save anyone having to go into Pinterest.  Thanks for advice on posting Torslanda.

Just need some decent wheels now and it will be complete...
That's a very good looking bike. What don't you like about the wheels?

Wheels are ok just a bit old now and done a lot of miles, the rear hub doesn't run as smoothly as it did despite keeping clean and serviced.  Also because of the spokes I'm always worried of one snapping and not being able to easily replace when out on a ride.  My LBS told me the type I have mean I wont be able to do this.  I would like a stronger wheelset too, something designed for all seasons with a decent load bearing capacity as I have a pannier rack I intend to use on the frame.  Mostly though everything else is new apart form the wheels....

« Reply #8827 on: 18 April, 2018, 06:46:22 pm »
Very nice. The downside of bikes like that is that I'm now wanting something new and i have neither the space nor money.

Sent from my LG-H850 using Tapatalk

« Reply #8828 on: 18 April, 2018, 10:50:42 pm »

This looks great, nice job!  Nicest I have seen I think and they always look like a classy build.

Which model frame is it, End to End?  Are they deep drop brakes, if so which ones.

« Reply #8829 on: 19 April, 2018, 12:25:04 am »
Lovely looking bike. Always makes me want to build a Bob Jackson to go with my better half’s.

« Reply #8830 on: 19 April, 2018, 04:36:47 pm »

This looks great, nice job!  Nicest I have seen I think and they always look like a classy build.

Which model frame is it, End to End?  Are they deep drop brakes, if so which ones.

Yes it’s the Audax end to end. Miche 57mm brakes. Changed the pads though as the ones that came were like fudge.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Reply #8831 on: 29 April, 2018, 06:13:11 am »

A few images re posted to save anyone having to go into Pinterest.  Thanks for advice on posting Torslanda.

Just need some decent wheels now and it will be complete...
What a beautiful E-E!! the colour scheme is brilliant! absolutely stunning!

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk

« Reply #8832 on: 29 April, 2018, 06:19:07 am »
Lovely looking bike. Always makes me want to build a Bob Jackson to go with my better half’s.
hi,

not sure about your side of the world... I did build a BJ end to end for my better half around 2 winters ago. My missy treat it "so well" that it only been taken out to rode 3 times so far.... ;p

Samuel D

« Reply #8833 on: 29 April, 2018, 01:33:50 pm »
Never mind the Bob Jackson, that’s some nice furniture!

« Reply #8834 on: 29 April, 2018, 05:28:27 pm »
Never mind the Bob Jackson, that’s some nice furniture!
haha,

sharp eyes Samuel D. ;)

this is the storage space usually stocked up by the nice things my missy won't bother missed.

« Reply #8835 on: 14 May, 2018, 11:03:25 pm »
By night...

IMG_20180514_215022874 by ao, on Flickr

The spoke reflectives have been on for a few years, as has the mudguard / frame tape.  Schwalbe tyres and Aldi toptube bag are new - but may not stay that long.

By day

IMG_20180519_102701918 by ao, on Flickr

ps.  I'll be impressed if anyone knows where in Oxfordshire this wall is (also features on a well known autumnal Audax).
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

« Reply #8836 on: 17 May, 2018, 02:29:50 pm »
Tested my new homemade bikepacking bags at the weekend on the Capital Trail. Friday was awful with 30mph headwinds heading over the Lamermuirs meaning slow progress and our destination of Galashiels by day one was impossible. While Saturday was gorgeous, torrential rain forecast for the Sunday morning (which eventually didn't happen) saw us decide that an afternoon in the beer garden and train back from Galashiels was the better option.  :-[  Cracking weekend though. I'll tackle it later in the year with better weather.

« Reply #8837 on: 17 May, 2018, 04:17:36 pm »
Impressive, what's the capacity of the 'saddle bag'?

« Reply #8838 on: 17 May, 2018, 10:50:27 pm »
It's 12l. More specifically a 12l Lomo drybag. One at the front and one at the back in the homemade harnesses. I based them on those by Revelate to make packing up in the morning easy. You just leave the harnesses attached to the bike and strap the drybags on. Mates all spent ages getting their gear strapped on and secure in the morning. Means I can use different sized bags for different lengths of trip too. With the framebag as above its about 30l total plus a couple litres strapped to the fork. Overkill for a weekend trip but a lot of my gear is quite bulky.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #8839 on: 24 May, 2018, 03:00:49 pm »
the frame bag looks very neat without any straps, something i want to make but still reluctant to drill additional holes in the frame. would be interested to see the inside photo of the fixings.

« Reply #8840 on: 29 May, 2018, 01:05:47 am »
Luckily the Pine Mountain comes with three holes on the top tube for this very purpose, or I'd have gone with straps myself. I don't have the guts to drill into a frame either.

My stitching is kind of embarrassing but I'll try and take some photos of the frame bag and harnesses this week for anyone interested in making their own.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #8841 on: 23 June, 2018, 07:25:07 am »
20180623_072029 by rogerzilla, on Flickr

Parts transferred from Hewitt Cheviot.  The colour is called "Grandpa's Thermos" by Surly.  It's that or black for 2018.  I might lower the stem a bit, or fit a 100mm one.  It's slightly shorter in the top tube than the Hewitt was, and the extra steerer height pushes the bars backwards too.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8842 on: 23 June, 2018, 10:15:49 am »
Surly do have some silly paint names, but the LHT is a fine bike whatever the colour.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #8843 on: 23 June, 2018, 11:03:29 am »

Parts transferred from Hewitt Cheviot.  The colour is called "Grandpa's Thermos" by Surly.  It's that or black for 2018.  I might lower the stem a bit, or fit a 100mm one.  It's slightly shorter in the top tube than the Hewitt was, and the extra steerer height pushes the bars backwards too.

Looks good Roger!  OOI how much does it weigh as shown? 

My large frame 531ST BE 'unladen weight'* is ~14kg; add all the kit, water and....   I may swap on R501+Paselas to save 1.3kg for starters.
*with Schwalbe DC+, Sputnik rims, empty bags.

rogerzilla

« Reply #8844 on: 23 June, 2018, 11:19:53 am »
31.5lb as pictured.  Probably about 29lb "marketing weight" without rack, SPDs and lights.  Dynamo hub adds a bit but the wheels are otherwise quite light as they have folding 30c Marathon Racer tyres*.  The frameset is a couple of ounces lighter than the Hewitt's 631/525 frame, despite being non-compact.

*100% reliable in 9 years despite some psyclepath and (ahem) offroad use

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #8845 on: 23 June, 2018, 09:17:46 pm »
31.5lb as pictured.  Probably about 29lb "marketing weight" without rack, SPDs and lights.  Dynamo hub adds a bit but the wheels are otherwise quite light as they have folding 30c Marathon Racer tyres*.  The frameset is a couple of ounces lighter than the Hewitt's 631/525 frame, despite being non-compact.

*100% reliable in 9 years despite some psyclepath and (ahem) offroad use
A Surly frame being lighter than anything else is pretty unusual!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Blodwyn Pig

• what a nice chap
« Reply #8846 on: 24 June, 2018, 07:54:45 am »

I rather like that! Agree about the stem, possibly rotating the bars so they are level at the top. Silver  finishings look nice, enjoy.

rogerzilla

« Reply #8847 on: 24 June, 2018, 09:54:02 pm »
Position turns out to be right, for touring.  I have a couple more finger widths' reach on faster bikes and a much lower stem but this is better for longer slower rides.  A decent test ride with hills shows it rides pretty much the same as the Hewitt did unloaded, with no noticeable vices.  The acid test will come when I get the panniers out and test it with a 10kg bag of firewood on each side.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #8848 on: 25 June, 2018, 05:38:44 am »
Nice Roger, very nice, I hope you love your LHT as much as I love my Disc Trucker.

I don’t know how Surly do it, they build a heavy bike which never feels like a heavy bike. They are great to ride with no load and equally great carrying over 30kg of camping kit. Whilst friends have to load their bikes carefully to avoid frame shimmies at high speed I just chuck my gear on Fred and off we go!  And, to cap it all, the week before last in the Alps, I had great fun chucking him round fast bends during twisty descents, as usual he was rock solid.

« Reply #8849 on: 25 June, 2018, 07:28:01 am »
what he said...  when I had a LHT I thought it handled better with 20kg of luggage than when it was unloaded, and the x-check that replaced it is nearly as good (but I much prefer the x for unloaded riding)

nice looking build, Rog.