Author Topic: The TT Thread  (Read 417388 times)

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
Re: The TT Thread
« Reply #1825 on: 27 April, 2017, 10:40:31 pm »
First TT for many a year - club 10. Vicious cross headwind (cross? It was furious!) made the out leg very hard and the return leg slightly better. Average HR 177, peak 185 and at the start it was 111. 31.41, which is the slowest I have been for many a year, but never ridden one this overweight.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Bairn Again

« Reply #1826 on: 28 April, 2017, 02:43:24 pm »
28.06 on my club 10 on Wednesday.  First 10 miles with a number on my back since my accident on the same course last May, therefore I was going a bit cautiously and wanted to ensure Id something in the tank for the last mile or  - in the end I knew Id held too much back on the tailwind assisted outward leg. 

Got to the start very late too due to traffic so I reckon that given a proper warm up and a few more rides that I can get under my age standard (26.54) and perhaps even under 26 mins. 

Above all else, I ended the race in one piece and am keen to get back into it.   

Bairn Again

« Reply #1827 on: 04 May, 2017, 01:50:28 pm »
28.32 on the Musselburgh RCC course from Longniddry last night (Edinburgh and MRCC are sharing the midweek series these days).

Bit more of a technical course than ERCs Tranent version, but enjoyed it more than I thought I would even with a strong NW wind. 

An uphill finish that repeated the first 1/2 mile of so of the course had my legs like jelly, but it was my first outing on this course and Id ridden a 400k that had finished on Monday afternoon so not to disappointed, even if I was among the back markers. 

Confident I get under my age standard in the coming weeks.   

Karla

• car(e) free
    • Lost Byway - around the world by bike
« Reply #1828 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:45:21 am »
Good stuff  :thumbsup:

I've done two club TTs in the past two days and each time I've been 40 seconds off the win.  I NEED SOME DRUGS!

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1829 on: 07 May, 2017, 01:28:41 am »
... and in the two open 25s I've done in the past fortnight, I've come 7 seconds and 5 seconds outside my PB.  I definitely need some drugs.

rob

« Reply #1830 on: 07 May, 2017, 04:06:30 pm »
Back to the A31 this morning for the Charlotteville 50.   Bit chilly but quite still.   PB'd by 3:31 with 1:57:20.

I did get the feeling I backed off a little when I knew I was on course for a good improvement.   HR in general was 10-15bpm down on last year when it was a lot warmer.   I get another go at a 50 next weekend in the E2 which is a faster bit of road but an association event so not a BBAR qualifier.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #1831 on: 07 May, 2017, 06:57:28 pm »
Brilliant result rob!

rob

« Reply #1832 on: 13 May, 2017, 09:33:38 pm »
Bit of an improvement today with a 1:52:27 on the E2.   Bit breezy in places but not as bad as I thought it would be.   Pity it's not a BBAR event so last weeks ride will have to do for that competition.

« Reply #1833 on: 15 May, 2017, 10:09:40 am »
Did my first ever 10 (DIY rather than organised) on Sunday - CC118.  Aside from having to do the first quarter again thanks to my satnav taking me off course (probably my fault not putting enough waypoints in the route)  ::-), it was OK. I just used my regular bike (Cube Attain Disc), with no aero gubbins, but I'm still a bit disappointed with 29:50. I really struggled with the wind, and it felt that I needed to be in between gears (there was a 2 tooth jump in the cassette, and the smaller cog was just a tiny bit too hard).
It gives me a marker to beat anyway - I've now got a turbo trainer, so after a month or 2 blasting on that I'll have another go.

rob

« Reply #1834 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:01:51 pm »
Did my first ever 10 (DIY rather than organised) on Sunday - CC118.  Aside from having to do the first quarter again thanks to my satnav taking me off course (probably my fault not putting enough waypoints in the route)  ::-), it was OK. I just used my regular bike (Cube Attain Disc), with no aero gubbins, but I'm still a bit disappointed with 29:50. I really struggled with the wind, and it felt that I needed to be in between gears (there was a 2 tooth jump in the cassette, and the smaller cog was just a tiny bit too hard).
It gives me a marker to beat anyway - I've now got a turbo trainer, so after a month or 2 blasting on that I'll have another go.

Try to find a local club 10 if you can.   You'd be amazed how much difference it makes to race in front of other people and with a number on your back.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #1835 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:15:01 pm »
Duncan  you can race on that course with DPCC on
15/06/17 Thursday
http://www.didcotphoenix.co.uk/?page_id=42

And here's a video we've done to avoid future navigation issues ;)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWCGWpy4yD4
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #1836 on: 15 May, 2017, 09:02:17 pm »
I figured I'd give this a go because the Condors are sorting out the teams for the 9 up TTT at Silverstone and I wanted to see how I compared to the other vets. The answer is pretty badly! :) I might try an actual club TT at some point. :)
Cheers
Duncan

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1837 on: 15 May, 2017, 11:49:56 pm »
Getting under 30 minutes for your first go by yourself is pretty good!

« Reply #1838 on: 21 May, 2017, 08:51:54 pm »
I did the vets team TT training yesterday. Hung on for one lap, and then blew up and shot off the back! Even the ride out to the course was much faster than the normal group rides I've been doing. Time to get some serious Turbo time in!
Cheers
Duncan

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1839 on: 22 May, 2017, 02:52:35 pm »
Ugh, my club are now baying for rear lights in their evening TTs.

FFS, we've already moved onto shitty little back roads we're so scared of cars, despite no-one having ever had a collision.  We've also made some changes to the courses that have frankly made them more dangerous, based on some people's allergy to sharing the road with anything  with four wheels, and their inability to judge danger on evidence, rather than whatever gives them the heebie jeebies.  There's far too much Sir Humphreyism around this place, combined with too much paranoia, too much paternalism and too many people who just ride for leisure and don't have to be out on the roads day in and day out on their bikes, who don't appreciate that wrapping themselves in cotton wool and making themselves seen by their unnecessary laser death rays could have consequences for the rest of us down the line.

Oh, and I'm also coming down with a cold, a week before my first target event of the year :(

David Martin

« Reply #1840 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:19:23 pm »
We have a 'no rear light, no ride' rule locally. It is not a big deal. And having driven the course at the time of competing, it does make a bit of a difference to visibility.
Under SCU rules you also have a 'no predominantly dark colours' rule as well.

rob

« Reply #1841 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:47:43 pm »
Under SCU rules you also have a 'no predominantly dark colours' rule as well.

Wow.   That would remove most of the TT riders in the South East.   Too many stealth riders with all black skinsuits/helmets on black bikes.    One of the reasons I went with a bright (top half) skinsuit.

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1842 on: 22 May, 2017, 04:59:30 pm »
Given that you have a big fluoro number pinned to your backside, it would make more sense to legislate for the colour of your helmet.

Anyway, here is one of our TT courses.  Here is another.  Dr Martin might recognise that second one as the BUCS road race course.  One thing they have in common: dragstrips they certainly ain't. 

rob

« Reply #1843 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:07:18 pm »
Given that you have a big fluoro number pinned to your backside.

In my speedpocket, please.   

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1844 on: 22 May, 2017, 05:15:19 pm »
Is that a big fluoro race number in your speedpocket or are you just pleased ...

David Martin

« Reply #1845 on: 23 May, 2017, 09:24:19 pm »
Commissaire tonight (TT under BC rules). Don't think I have gained many friends. At the turn you leave the DC via a slip road that has a hatched centre. There is then a right turn at the top to cross the bridge before turning left to rejoin (and come under the flyover). You do not cross into the opposite lane of the slip road. Of a field of 41, 9 received no time because they were entirely on the wrong side of the hashed median. If I had taken a very strict interpretation it would have been another half dozen. I have some phone video. That included one from my club who claimed that they should be told at the start if the rules were going to be enforced.

Ah well, it is only bike racing and nobody was hurt.

« Reply #1846 on: 26 May, 2017, 11:59:47 am »
Turning my mind to the 24 in 2 months (ish).

I'm finding that the aerobar position I am 'comfortable' in for an hour or so when turning myself inside out is not sustainable for more than about 4 hours when trying less hard ie a bit more weight on the arms and my shoulders gradually complain. I suspect I could manage a 12 hour just, but no chance for 24 hours.

All this is not surprising in the least, and I'm changing position incrementally to see how much change (wider seems to be as much of an improvement as higher) is necessary to still be comfortable(ish) after a 10-12 hour ride, but I am wondering whether those of you who ride the 24 as well as 10 / 25 / 50s change position or just get stronger / tough it out in the most aero position?

rob

« Reply #1847 on: 26 May, 2017, 12:32:31 pm »
I have one position for all distances.   I probably could go lower for shorter events but it would be a faff.   I deliberately narrowed the position but did it a cm at a time over a period of months.

To manage on longer rides I try to stretch regularly - tip from wheelsoffire.    I have also done a lot of long rides in position in the last couple of years and have spent the last couple of Winters doing core work and pilates.   I do all turbo work in the TT position as well.

12hrs is OK now but the last 5-6hrs of the 24hr last year were tough on my lower back.   At that point everything hurts anyway.

I did a 400k on Saturday using the TT bike and that actually went quite well with little in the way of aches and pains.

See you at the 12hr.

Rob

Karla

• car(e) free
« Reply #1848 on: 26 May, 2017, 01:06:51 pm »
I raise for a 12, but then my position is quite low, and used to be more stretched out than in that shot.  I've also got a weak core and various problems knocking around, which are currently the subject of some work - hopefully I'll be better by July! 

ISTR Oranj saying he'd raise, but hippy saying he had one position for everything. 

« Reply #1849 on: 27 May, 2017, 04:59:23 pm »
I was part of a team TT go on the same course as before. On my own - 29:50, and in the team - 27:08. I was able to ride in the team much more effectively than last week. I need to be able to generate more power though - time to get going properly on the turbo.