Author Topic: Condensing boiler - how much condensate  (Read 12749 times)

Re: Condensing boiler - how much condensate
« Reply #25 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:31:15 pm »
Well I suspect it’s assumed that most installations will be indoors, as will the drains.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #26 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:38:36 pm »
Yes.  The boiler manufacturers assume they will be installed in accordance with the instructions, and the installers assume it'll probably be okay.  Unfortunately, most of the time it will, so they get away with it.

« Reply #27 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:39:17 pm »
And as we all know, assumption is the mother of all foul-ups.
"He who fights monsters should see to it that he himself does not become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you." ~ Freidrich Neitzsche

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

« Reply #29 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:55:59 pm »
Pleased to report that all is still working well, emptied a small amount from bucket twice, so reckon a full bucket would be a weeks worth. I'll sort it all out properly when it won't freeze my nuts off to do so. I'll jet clean the external pipe, put decent lagging on it, use more than a couple of cable ties and correct the fall. Then I'll reconnect internally with sleeve and glue, an easy job but not in bitter cold and strong winds.

I can echo all the sentiments on here, stupid as I think my condensing pipe routing is, it still should have done the job if fitted correctly. As I said earlier they got the increase in pipe size externally to accommodate the lengthy run right, and that was it. The lagging is laughable and the fall non existent in places, plus the right angles. If I'd never installed one, as I haven't, there is no way what they have done would have been my first effort. I would have assumed maximising fall, no flat right angles, decent lagging and maybe even boxing to protect against wind chill.

That's how this, reasonable DIYer with a modicum of common sense, would have tackled it. Why the 'professionals' made such a piss poor job I can only wonder in annoyance.
Nuns, no sense of humour

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #30 on: 02 March, 2018, 07:58:15 pm »
That's how this, reasonable DIYer with a modicum of common sense, would have tackled it. Why the 'professionals' made such a piss poor job I can only wonder in annoyance.

The cynic in me suggests that it generates an abundance of easy (no parts required!) call-outs, and can be blamed on the weather.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #31 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:07:30 pm »
BT has just emailed me some helpful advice, including this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9tWUv7oHXOs

They KNOW there's an issue.
They CONTINUE these installations.

This is VERY, VERY, NAUGHTY!

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #32 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:21:50 pm »
Pleased to report that all is still working well, emptied a small amount from bucket twice, so reckon a full bucket would be a weeks worth. I'll sort it all out properly when it won't freeze my nuts off to do so. I'll jet clean the external pipe, put decent lagging on it, use more than a couple of cable ties and correct the fall. Then I'll reconnect internally with sleeve and glue, an easy job but not in bitter cold and strong winds.

I can echo all the sentiments on here, stupid as I think my condensing pipe routing is, it still should have done the job if fitted correctly. As I said earlier they got the increase in pipe size externally to accommodate the lengthy run right, and that was it. The lagging is laughable and the fall non existent in places, plus the right angles. If I'd never installed one, as I haven't, there is no way what they have done would have been my first effort. I would have assumed maximising fall, no flat right angles, decent lagging and maybe even boxing to protect against wind chill.

In the condensate drain scenario, I don't think lagging will help that much.

Insulation slows the rate of heat loss, but ultimately the temperature inside of the lagging will asymptotically become equal to the external temperature in the absence of heat input.
A trickle of condensate represents the square root of fuck all heat input.
That's why it freezes up so easily.

Really, the condensate drain needs to go somewhere internal, where it will drain into a soil stack that goes into a sewer that's deep enough to be below the frost level.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #33 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:41:40 pm »
Ours is internal, as we get proper cold on a regular basis.

Poor installation by "tradesmen", which I've paid good money for in the past, is the reason I now own a complete set of plumbing tools and a good book.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #34 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:46:02 pm »
Piss-poor workmanship by 'professionals' is the main reason I do pretty much everything myself now.

'Professional' just means they make their money that way.
And that's not a good indicator of workmanship.
In many cases, it means they will install the cheapest, short-cut where they can and bodge as required to get on to the next job.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #35 on: 02 March, 2018, 08:55:57 pm »
Luckily I can install the electrics in mums' extension myself and pay a couple of hundred quid to a company to come and check it and sign it off as done properly.

The whole thing cost £400 including a new RCD consumer box-thing for the whole house and the certification.

rr

« Reply #36 on: 03 March, 2018, 12:22:13 am »
The condensate is corrosive - it’ll eat concrete. Best piped fully away.
Indeed, Barratts did ours in copper, I had to grink them to redo it in plastic. They asked for an engineer's report before they would admit they had cocked it up. I didn't argue with them, I just explained to them why they were wrong.

Sent from my XT1562 using Tapatalk