Author Topic: Pillow talk  (Read 8323 times)

toekneep

• Its got my name on it.
    • Blog
Re: Pillow talk
« Reply #25 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:03:53 pm »
"Making" my pillow is a work of art and a good nights sleep is totally dependent on getting it just right. I use a small soft squashy foam pillow supplemented by just the right amount of clothes and all wrapped up in a fleece. The correct amount of beer or wine is also critical. Too little and I can't get to sleep, too much and I make a complete pigs ear of the pillow.  ;D

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #26 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:10:50 pm »
another fleece user here and if it's wet I might use my rucksack.

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #27 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:14:49 pm »
What do the fleece/towel users do when their fleece or towel is wet (my towel usually is after I've had a shower), or being worn because it's bloody freezing?

I'm all for dual-purpose, but that only works up to a point...

The fleece is for outside when it's bloody freezing, once inside the tent inside the sleeping bag, I've never needed to wear it.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #28 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:17:02 pm »
The fleece is for outside when it's bloody freezing, once inside the tent inside the sleeping bag, I've never needed to wear it.

This is probably exposing a flaw in my naff synthetic (but blissfully rectangular) sleeping bag, isn't it?

Julian

• samoture
« Reply #29 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:22:25 pm »
Or possibly my penchant for overpacking and being equipped with PJs, t-shirt, two jumpers anna hat even in summer!

« Reply #30 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:25:56 pm »
I never had trouble sleeping when I used the inflated inner of an empty 3 litre wine box.

Probably becasue I started the evening with a full 3 litre wine box.

« Reply #31 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:30:37 pm »
For 3 years I used an Ajungilak Air Pillow and was very happy. It is a comfortable pillow and packs down small. This year I have been testing an Exped Air Pillow Exped and have found it to be even better. The shape is very good giving neck and head support. It is lighter and smaller when packed down. Althougth the retail price is around £20 (I have a couple at £15 inc post) they are well worth it.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #32 on: 05 September, 2010, 02:58:40 pm »
Bp,
Please put me down for one of the Exped pillows.
Julk

PM sent

« Reply #33 on: 05 September, 2010, 07:32:59 pm »
I use my clothes bag, wraped in a fleece.
Don't ask.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #34 on: 05 September, 2010, 07:36:16 pm »
Or possibly my penchant for overpacking and being equipped with PJs, t-shirt, two jumpers anna hat even in summer!

Ah.  I thought I was bad...

« Reply #35 on: 05 September, 2010, 07:46:19 pm »
Another couple of Ajungilak users here. Don't have to think about how comfy it is, which probably means it's comfy enough.

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #36 on: 06 September, 2010, 02:35:30 am »
The only problem Alungilak pillows is when the cover rubs against the pillow they make a creaking noise (I'm a very light sleeper). I'm going to experiment with just an ordinary pillow case.

The Mechanic

« Reply #37 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:40:30 am »
An old spud sack filled with granite chuckies.  Just the job. :thumbsup:

« Reply #38 on: 06 September, 2010, 08:43:07 am »
Both the Exped pillows I had in stock are now sold.
Most people tip-toe through life hoping the make it safely to death.
Home

« Reply #39 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:27:01 am »
Any recent recommendations for a decent camping pillow ? I usually have 2 pillows, thinking about getting a cheap one and folding it.
Small camping ones seem too small for me, and i haven't found inflatables very good.

Vince

• Can't climb; won't climb
« Reply #40 on: 03 April, 2017, 09:43:21 am »
I just put all my spare clothing in a draw string bag.
216km from Marsh Gibbon

« Reply #41 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:19:55 pm »
My exped has recently failed.   I've thought about this having re-read this thread.   I'm going to go back to using a fleece stuffed with clothes.   As I already carry these it's madness not to take advantage of it. 

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #42 on: 03 April, 2017, 12:20:25 pm »
My current favourite is a cheap Decathlon air pillow, about half inflated, inside the inverted fleece-lined stuff sack for my sleeping bag.

The Ajungilak comes a close second.

quixoticgeek

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #43 on: 03 April, 2017, 08:16:03 pm »

Exped Pillow Ul is my preferred pillow. Tho It was about half the price when I bought mine. I also have the exped synmat UL, so it all fits together nicely.

I tried the whole "stuff sack with spare clothes" thing, but I carry so little spare clothing, and use silnylon stuff sacks that are so damn slippery, so it didn't really work.

J
--
Beer, bikes, and backpacking
http://b.42q.eu/

« Reply #44 on: 07 April, 2017, 09:03:29 am »
thanks for the replies.  I'll suss out the decathlon one.

« Reply #45 on: 07 April, 2017, 02:45:06 pm »
I tried the whole "stuff sack with spare clothes" thing, but I carry so little spare clothing, and use silnylon stuff sacks that are so damn slippery, so it didn't really work.
Me too.
I did use an Exped, but I popped the baffles when I sat on it whilst moving about the tent, so I got a Sea to Summit Aeros, which seems nicer on the limited use it's had since.

« Reply #46 on: 11 April, 2017, 06:16:52 pm »
A pillow is something I won't compromise on for a decent night's sleep. For cycle touring we use half-size goose feather and down pillows that a local poultry farm used to sell (they might still do!). They're just like normal pillows, except half size (maybe a little less). Two fit perfectly stuffed into one of the smaller Alpkit dry bags and get strapped across one of our rack tops. I tried 3 or 4 different camping pillow options before this, as well as clothes etc., but none work nearly as well. Everyone sleeps in a different way, though, so YMMV
Old enough to know better, but young enough to do it anyway

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #47 on: 11 April, 2017, 06:47:07 pm »
There's no denying that real pillows are the best thing about camping by car...

« Reply #48 on: 11 April, 2017, 07:59:54 pm »
I always thought that duvets and sheepskins were the best thing about car camping.

« Reply #49 on: 12 April, 2017, 10:24:18 pm »
I got a decathlon inflatable - Seems ok from a quick test on the living room floor.