Linked Events

• Tyne Tunnel: 15 October, 2011

Author Topic: Tyne Tunnel  (Read 27586 times)

LindaG

Re: Tyne Tunnel
« Reply #50 on: 28 October, 2010, 02:20:21 pm »
Monday - Thursday the week before I'm free. 

I would like to have a day with my son and my husband eating poultry and brandy butter one day during Christmas week, I'll be asleep on the 27th.  Realistically I can't see me wanting to go out on Friday after 60 working hours in 7 days.  Hmmm.

How's the weekend of 1-2 January for everyone?

By the way, my lottery ticket is broken.  None of the numbers match.  Guess I'll have to keep going to work.

LindaG

« Reply #51 on: 28 October, 2010, 06:31:58 pm »
Oh no.  Night duties Xmas eve, Xmas day, boxing day.

So we are looking for a route on the 27th which starts at shift end from your workplace and takes us to the Tyne Tunnel...  ;)

we'd have to call it a Three Rivers Ride (Tyne, Wear and Tees - I presume you are somewhere near the Tees) but it could be tricky finding a route which comes into the 30 mile max requirement >:(

You know, that really is not a mad as it sounds.  But not do-able within 30 miles.  But it'd be hellish fun wouldn't it?  Start off at 0830 from James Cook Hospital, via Stockton to Durham then pick up SlowCoach's route, finish at Newcastle Station, drink beer, train home, bed.

No, I'm not serious.

« Reply #52 on: 28 October, 2010, 09:14:52 pm »
I'll be in Edinburgh for Hogmany but could be around on the 2nd....

« Reply #53 on: 29 October, 2010, 12:47:47 pm »
You know, that really is not a mad as it sounds.  But not do-able within 30 miles.  But it'd be hellish fun wouldn't it?  Start off at 0830 from James Cook Hospital, via Stockton to Durham then pick up SlowCoach's route, finish at Newcastle Station, drink beer, train home, bed.

Possibly one for sometime next year at a time when everyone isn't suffering from post Christmas / Ne Year overindulgence

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #54 on: 01 November, 2010, 10:51:31 pm »
2nd Jan, if there's no ice and there are trains, is probably do-able for me.  Anyone want a cake?

LindaG

« Reply #55 on: 03 November, 2010, 11:56:41 am »
2nd January.

If anyone still has the will to live, I can do this day.

The Trainline says the first train from Toytown arrives in Newcastle at 10.06 on Jan 2nd.

It changes in Darlington at 0933.

Trains back from Newcastle every hour or so.

« Reply #56 on: 09 November, 2010, 08:27:10 pm »
OK - I'm still negotiating for 2nd Jan, but 80% certain. Will pm a possible route (40 mile - is that too long?) to Lindagordinho and boab, who between them seem to have started this madness.

« Reply #57 on: 10 November, 2010, 01:49:32 pm »
A possible route for the ride may be:

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&t=h&msa=0&msid=118055681326317690691.000494a46e33cd8f491ba&ll=54.931482,-1.494141&spn=0.234343,0.727158&z=11

Its 65km - with about 470m of climbing. Head south from Newcastle Central station over Redheugh Bridge and then down to Team Valley. Follow the back roads south until you meet the C2C just west of Chester-le-Street. Follow the C2C to the coast at Roker and then head north past Souter Lighthouse and Marsden Grotto to South Shields. Cut across to the cycle tunnel and then follow the North side of the Tyne to Newcastle Quayside (Hadrian's Cycleway?). At the Quayside we can play silly beggars if you want - crossing the Blinking Eye Bridge and then back on the Swing Bridge. If you really want to be daft we could then cross back on the High Level Bridge and then return again on the Tyne Bridge. Then its under half a mile back to the station.

Places to stop may be a problem. Souter Lighthouse is normally good for tea but will be closed. We may be able to get ice cream (!) somewhere along Roker seafront. At the end there will certainly be something open along the Quayside or we could go and terrorise the cafe at the Baltic Art Gallery or the Sage. Failing all else it would have to be Yates opposite the station.

The main problem with choosing a route is that the Cycle Tunnel is not in the most picturesque of areas. It was built to allow the workers to cross the Tyne to get to the ship yards... If it snows, the C2C section may be a problem, and the stretch from Roker up the coast to South Shields will be into the wind - it always is. The one good thing is that most of the climbing (there isn't much) is at the start of the day. In my mind's eye the entire route is down hill - though as we start and finish in the same place there must be some climbing...

« Reply #58 on: 10 November, 2010, 02:45:34 pm »
2nd Jan should be ok for me too, normal caveats apply

LindaG

« Reply #59 on: 10 December, 2010, 09:46:22 pm »
Is anyone still remotely interested after the rigours of Snowmageddon?

2nd and 4th January are good for me.  I will be more than usually slow by then, mind.  But I need a cycling goal to prevent me getting cabin fever.  It's getting a bit rank in here.

CrinklyLion

« Reply #60 on: 10 December, 2010, 09:50:22 pm »
4th I'm at work (although it will be a fab day at work because I'm in charge of the training day so we're working with a pro animator all day who is absolutely amazing) but I have outline  agreement for the 2nd.

« Reply #61 on: 10 December, 2010, 09:52:59 pm »
Is anyone still remotely interested after the rigours of Snowmageddon?

2nd and 4th January are good for me.  I will be more than usually slow by then, mind.  But I need a cycling goal to prevent me getting cabin fever.  It's getting a bit rank in here.
I ahve cabin fever, I was off work last week and had YAVOYCC planned for Dec 1 but had to can it. Last time I was on my bike was when i went to Mountain a few weeks ago.

LindaG

« Reply #62 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:10:29 pm »
YAVOYCC?

I get more grumpy every day.  My beautiful new bike is parked in the living room so I can at least gaze at it, even though I can't ride it.

More of that white stuff forecast next week.  Gah. 

« Reply #63 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:11:56 pm »
YAVOYCC?

I get more grumpy every day.  My beautiful new bike is parked in the living room so I can at least gaze at it, even though I can't ride it.

More of that white stuff forecast next week.  Gah.  
Yet Another Vale Of York 200 (Goes through a few former Roman towns)

CrinklyLion

« Reply #64 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:15:50 pm »
YAVOYCC?

I get more grumpy every day.  My beautiful new bike is parked in the living room so I can at least gaze at it, even though I can't ride it.

I had that last year,  when Valencia and the C2W voucher arrived on the 18th December.  She got her first scratch before I'd even ridden her, and sat in the front room for ages.  I only manage 3 miles in 3 weeks - and that was twice round the block on the gritted main road at 10pm one night, just so I'd tried her out!

LindaG

« Reply #65 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:20:54 pm »
If Crusty does that hacking cough one more time I shall kill him and eat him.

Yep.  Cabin fever.

Need a bike ride.

« Reply #66 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:51:20 pm »
I'm still up for the 2nd. I'm at work on the 4th. The route may need a rethink if all this white stuff has returned, mind. Santa is bringing me a GPS so I'll need somewhere to go and play with it (I'm pretty certain about this - I was despatched to the shop to go and buy...)

hulver

• I am a mole and I live in a hole.
« Reply #67 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:09:15 am »
I can't do the second, I've got the kids then (yey!) which means I can't come (boo!).

« Reply #68 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:12:38 am »
YAVOYCC?

I get more grumpy every day.  My beautiful new bike is parked in the living room so I can at least gaze at it, even though I can't ride it.

More of that white stuff forecast next week.  Gah.  

Whats the route?  Sounds of interest :thumbsup:

« Reply #69 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:46:26 am »
YAVOYCC?

Whats the route?  Sounds of interest :thumbsup:

YAVOYCC by MSeries
note the bit of bridleway near Pilmoor

LindaG

« Reply #70 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:48:16 am »
You were right Aidan, it is of interest.

« Reply #71 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:52:15 am »
Not sure about the bit through Leeds , but the rest looks like a nice route, certainly one to have a look at.

Where are the controls Martin?

« Reply #72 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:54:35 am »
I have several of these in my arsenal.

by MSeries

« Reply #73 on: 11 December, 2010, 10:58:58 am »
Not sure about the bit through Leeds , but the rest looks like a nice route, certainly one to have a look at.

Where are the controls Martin?

The bit through Leeds is necessary from where I live. COntrols for that one were

Home
Boroughbridge
Masham
Northallerton
Dalton
Easingwold
Little Ousburn
Tadcaster
Swillington
Home

do you have Mapsource ? I can send you the GDB if you send me an email address. I should have a GPX containing the track that I followed and waypoints for the controls too.

« Reply #74 on: 11 December, 2010, 12:20:44 pm »
I have sent a PM :thumbsup: