Author Topic: Swindon  (Read 32206 times)

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
Re: Swindon
« Reply #50 on: 11 January, 2011, 10:35:50 pm »
Sorry, wildly off-topic, but what proportion of the country's rail system is controlled by non-electric signalling systems. The box at Lostwithiel is still running rods and cables for signals and points and I imagine it's the same all the way from there to Penzance.

Where else ?
Long sections of low-traffic rural double-track line, such as:
Cumbrian Coast (Barrow to Carlisle)
Settle & Carlisle
Ely to Norwich
Derby to Stoke
Leeds to York via Harrogate
Big chunks of rural and freight lines in Lincolnshire (e.g. Barnetby - four-track!)
And Many Many More.

Also isolated 'islands' of semaphore signals where it's not been possible to merge the box's area-of-control with an adjacent one:
Greenford (North London)
Banbury

OTOH, when it comes to main lines, electrical and electronic signalling systems hold sway.  The first semaphore signal on any "main" line out of London is at Liskeard!

They'll be with us for many years to come.  A bit of grease now and again, and the attention of a blacksmith when things go ping/snap/bang.  Whereas the electrickery - "you can't get the parts" - and we have to port the software onto different computer architecture more and more frequently.
Be Naughty; save Santa a trip

« Reply #51 on: 11 January, 2011, 11:39:21 pm »
Long sections of low-traffic rural double-track line, such as:
Cumbrian Coast (Barrow to Carlisle)
Banbury

snip

They'll be with us for many years to come.  A bit of grease now and again, and the attention of a blacksmith when things go ping/snap/bang.  Whereas the electrickery - "you can't get the parts" - and we have to port the software onto different computer architecture more and more frequently.

Cool !

Thanks for that.
Rust never sleeps

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #52 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:21:04 pm »
I remember seeing semaphore signals at one of the Worcester stations back around 1990. I can't remember which but I think it might have been Shrub Hill. Is that still there?
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #53 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:30:21 pm »
Let's see if rower40 can identify this one.  ;D

It is simpler than it looks.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #54 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:31:03 pm »

Bob Crow?
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #55 on: 12 January, 2011, 05:42:57 pm »

Bob Crow?

Don't be silly!  The person in the photo is actually working.

;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #56 on: 12 January, 2011, 06:04:25 pm »
Good grief, no one's mentioned this yet!

Mitch Benn, on hearing which town was apparently leading the way in fast broadband according to a survey.

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/xYBLPPCWcrU&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/xYBLPPCWcrU&rel=1</a>
If I had a baby elephant, it could help me wash the car. If I had a car.

See my recycled crafts at www.wastenotwantit.co.uk

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #57 on: 12 January, 2011, 06:19:11 pm »
Swindon used to be the base for one of the fastest 10-mile time trial courses in the country, the U4, Stratton by-pass (A419, Cricklade-Kingsdown-Cricklade)

5.5 miles out / 4.5 miles back, with a slight south-easterly wind on the return stretch, you'd always do a fast time ...especially as the first 3/4 mile stretch was slightly downhill. :thumbsup:

The U4 is possible again because the traffic lights were removed from Commonhead Roundabout 3 years ago - they were what originally killed it off, as they did the old K37/10 (Hollywood bypass) I used to ride near Birmingham.  I understand from the SRC secretary that it has only been passed for 6am Sunday starts due to contemporary traffic levels, and I don't know if it's actually been used yet.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #58 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:04:48 pm »

Black lever is for a set of points.  The chap in the foreground is pulling it reverse.  The bloke in the orange jacket in the background is open-mouthed with astonishment that the bloke in the foreground isn't using a cloth.  (Acid from hand perspiration can corrode the levers.)

Beyond that, no.  The signalbox diagram is at enough of an angle that I can't read any of the placenames.

However... I'm about to embark on a journey down south (via London) to Bodmin, where my first Signalman training day takes place tomorrow.  I will wave at Slough, Didcot & Swindon in the early hours of tomorrow (depending on the route the sleeper takes) assuming I'm not actually sleeping.

CrinklyLion

• The one with devious, cake-pushing ways....
« Reply #59 on: 12 January, 2011, 07:32:25 pm »
... Leeds to York via Harrogate...

Hence the Very Nice Man at Cattal (who used to work in local government and loves his current job, btw) having an interesting and informative conversation with the Cub and I, when we stopped to picnic on his platform on day 1 of our Awfully Big Adventure.  And he offered to top up out water bottles for us  :thumbsup:

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #60 on: 12 January, 2011, 09:35:41 pm »

Jaded's lifesize Hornby set!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #61 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:54:11 pm »
It is in Wales; I was a guest of Railtrack on one of their "Inventory" Days - they went round counting things to make sure that they had enough cuttings and embankments etc.

I did the Severn Tunnel (walking in that as a 125 passes is an experience, seeing the underground stream that required the biggest pumping station in the world is also!) then Newport Signal Box and then this one. Unfortunately I cannot remember its name, but it wasn't that far from Newport.

It was fun being allowed to pull the levers.  ;D
It is simpler than it looks.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #62 on: 12 January, 2011, 10:59:21 pm »
What do they do if they find they've lost an embankment?  :D

Pingu

• Put away those fiery biscuits!
  • Mrs Pingu's domestique
    • the Igloo
« Reply #63 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:01:07 pm »
Prepare for cutting remarks, I expect.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #64 on: 12 January, 2011, 11:12:42 pm »
 ;D

rower40

• Not my boat. Now sold.
« Reply #65 on: 13 January, 2011, 07:56:01 am »

However... I'm about to embark on a journey down south (via London) to Bodmin, where my first Signalman training day takes place tomorrow.  I will wave at Slough, Didcot & Swindon in the early hours of tomorrow (depending on the route the sleeper takes) assuming I'm not actually sleeping.
Triple fail.  I was asleep through Slough, and the sleeper took the B&H (Berks & Hants) from Reading to Westbury.  As confirmed by my Garmin - which didn't need the sleepies as much as I did.  Now pootling through a pitch-dark Cornwall.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #66 on: 13 January, 2011, 01:26:46 pm »

That's definitely TV's Oz Clarke.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #67 on: 13 January, 2011, 04:33:18 pm »
I'm elaborating on Kim's proposed YACF bike ride.
I was confused by you apparently proposing to use the route of the GWR.  ;D
In Slough - Didcot - Swindon we have the Great Western Line of Despond.

In practice I think it's probably because they have each in turn been drawn into the commuting orbit of That Great Despond Beyond The Bear House.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #68 on: 13 January, 2011, 06:14:55 pm »
Not many trains stop at Slough these days.  The local chuds would try to eat the seats and stuff.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

« Reply #69 on: 14 January, 2011, 08:35:26 pm »
Sluff used to be ok but seems to have changed since my time in them there parts. Ground my way through a course at local college  (1980s) its prolly Thames Valley Uni nowadays.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #70 on: 08 December, 2011, 11:12:42 pm »
Swindon appears to have disappeared from Google Maps...

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #71 on: 09 December, 2011, 12:00:57 am »
Swindon appears to have disappeared from Google Maps...

Well that's climate change for you.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #72 on: 09 December, 2011, 05:47:59 am »
Rogerzilla moved to Swindon because he misheard the name. He thought there was a g at the end of each syllable.

Now this makes me chuckle.  Roger DOES NOT live in Swindon - and I doubt he ever would.  ;D

However I am not chuckling with my new posting.  Yep.  Swindon.  Bloody marvellous - not.  :smug: :facepalm:

fuzzy

« Reply #73 on: 09 December, 2011, 12:03:22 pm »
Rogerzilla moved to Swindon because he misheard the name. He thought there was a g at the end of each syllable.

Now this makes me chuckle.  Roger DOES NOT live in Swindon - and I doubt he ever would.  ;D

However I am not chuckling with my new posting.  Yep.  Swindon.  Bloody marvellous - not.  :smug: :facepalm:

Where do I get a shaking head with pity emoticon?

« Reply #74 on: 09 December, 2011, 08:12:02 pm »
I shall not be lacking for work though  ::-)  and I like being busy so that is a plus.