Author Topic: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes  (Read 86379 times)

Re: Fully Loaded - Touring Bikes
« Reply #600 on: April 21, 2017, 02:11:14 pm »
Here’s one of the tandem fully loaded just after we’d lugged it up to Kielder Observatory while on a mini tour around Kielder Water and a ride back to Newcastle.  It was pretty bleak and cold up on that hill so we didn’t linger for too long.  My younger brother is on the other end of the camera and having his first taste of cycle touring. Second tour for mini Joe though.

IMG_20170419_115426939 by Joseph Bulloch, on Flickr

« Reply #601 on: April 21, 2017, 02:51:53 pm »
I like that photo.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #602 on: April 24, 2017, 11:56:19 am »
Fab.
We are all just prisoners here of our own (mobile) device.

« Reply #603 on: May 05, 2017, 03:54:47 pm »
Fully loaded with <9Kg  ;D

« Reply #604 on: May 28, 2017, 06:59:55 pm »

Full camping kit packed in there, including food, clean clothes, even a towel! Yup, I knew where my towel was.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #605 on: May 28, 2017, 10:11:05 pm »
Nice!
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

windy

• Sitting on a bog in the North Atlantic
    • Audax Hebrides
« Reply #606 on: May 29, 2017, 01:51:02 pm »
IMG_1490a by ian, on Flickr

Another one of my Aravis/Henry Burton loaded on a Donegal tour 3 years ago - Recently I've been riding it less and less as the Genesis Equilibrium and Surly Cross-Check do everything it does but with a bit more at each extreme. So saying good bye to this one and currently building it up for one of my lads to tour on.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #607 on: May 30, 2017, 12:24:54 am »

Full camping kit packed in there, including food, clean clothes, even a towel! Yup, I knew where my towel was.
There's a lot of weight high up on the front there. How did you find the handling?
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #608 on: May 30, 2017, 02:44:17 pm »

Mission accomplished: Portuguese coast by British Eagle training bike transformed in fully loaded tourer. Very close clearance for 28mm tyres forced the rear brake in-board. Note coordinated bottles but couldn't manage lining up the valves too, sorry.

There's a lot of weight high up on the front there. How did you find the handling?

Forgive me butting in but... A-ha! Somebody else who loads the same as I did   Perversly some might say as it's contrary to received wisdom, but I've always loaded with a front end bias. Partly it's down to bodging on to unsuitable frames and that's the way I could get my racks to fit, and partly its due to being on the lardy side so I'm already asking a lot of the rear wheel and loading this way evens things out.
As far as handling goes, it's fine once underway but starting from a standstill the bars feel, indeed are, heavy and don't for heaven's sake try going no-handed.  What sayeth you, mrcharly?
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #609 on: May 30, 2017, 02:54:28 pm »
It isn't as front-heavy as it looks; that yellow thing is a mat weighing  a bit more than air but not much.
One pannier is just full of sleeping bag - it a summer buffalo bag, maybe [Edit] 900gm. The other side is mostly clothes with odds and ends. Some museli bars.

The rear had tent, food, tools, cooking gear including pans and stove.

I'm probably going to ditch the bagman and put a rack on the rear, so I can put more weight in the saddlebag, also sometimes I might want to put the panniers on the back and strap a stuffsack on the front.

It handled fine down hills and through turns, ok through potholes, fords and over cobbles. Not so nice at very slow speeds though.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Kim

• An appetite for the epic, but no real stamina
« Reply #610 on: May 30, 2017, 02:57:13 pm »
Front-heavy is fine.  It works well on Bromptons, and most SWB 'bents are naturally front-heavy.  It's loading the steering that makes things interesting.

Watching the TV without subtitles is like riding up a hill without using the gears :)

« Reply #611 on: May 30, 2017, 03:39:52 pm »
A nice but significant distinction. Lost, of course, on the vast majority of uprights.
Pleasure spreads out on the map and the knapsack is full of joy.

« Reply #612 on: June 02, 2017, 08:50:04 am »
Gazelle during touring Southern Europe

« Reply #613 on: June 20, 2017, 02:18:01 pm »

« Reply #614 on: June 20, 2017, 10:32:21 pm »
That's as heavily lioaded as one of Charlie's bikes on the Hi Chi Minh Trail, although with slightly less materiel content.
Never tell me the odds.