Author Topic: A random thread for food things that don't really warrant a thread of their own  (Read 514007 times)

Clare

• Is in NZ
Ham, what are your chillies preserved in?

Ham, what are your chillies preserved in?

Hopefully Olive Oil as then you get double loveliness with Chillie Oil

Yum
The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so sure of themselves, and wiser men so full of doubt.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Kefir, it's the latest thing, dontcha know.

Have you been listening to the Archers?

I need to do something with our chillies. We've got about 10kg of the damn things. I had been planning to do something along the lines of hari mirch ka achar with them but that's too much faff, I might just do a straightforward pickle in malt vinegar.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

Actually, not oil, I've gone for a pickle - about 1 tbs sugar/salt in the malt vinegar.

Initial tasting suggests is totally bonzer, have to see how it goes after time and how it works in cooking. I've also got a stash of turkish style chilli relish (cooked, added onions, tomato, celery, herb) in the fridge.  Not sure what I'll do with the next lot of chilli. Oh yeah, I've also got a horseradish and beetroot sauce lying in wait in the fridge.

x-post with citoyen, the vinegar option is real easy and super tasty.

And no, there are several years of separation between me and the Archers (20? I doubt that much has changed, except for all the people)

citoyen

And no, there are several years of separation between me and the Archers (20? I doubt that much has changed, except for all the people)

Ah, so you won't be aware that kefir has been a thing in the Archers for about the past year or so, since Tom has decided to branch out the Bridge Farm business into fermented foods.

citoyen

Actually, not oil, I've gone for a pickle - about 1 tbs sugar/salt in the malt vinegar.

No other flavourings?

Indeed no, my familiarity with the stuff (kefir) is from the local Polish shops,  having experimented (successfully) a couple of years ago in using it to make the bread part of limmonyk, a Russian dessert. (it's a rich flat bread with a centre of chopped whole lemon)

No other flavourings?

Nope, doesn't need it. I used the vinegar jar as the container, having pretty much run out of jam & preserve containers.

All I did was chop the top off the chillies, scoop out the centres of the larger ones, slice them in the food processor, cough my guts out and just managed not wipe my eyes..... that's it.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Kefir is also available in some branches of Tesco.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
My lunchtime lentil stew tastes funny. I think I might have added balsamic vinegar instead of soy sauce.
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
Mrs T, looking for a recipe for blanquette, just turned one up entitled "Cul de veau de vieux presbytère" - Calve's arse after the manner of an old presbytery.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Kefir is also available in some branches of Tesco.

But not the one I use (an "Extra" in Hemel Hempstead). I asked, and the response was "It used to be up there (points to highest shelf, well above eyeline) but it never sold so we stopped stocking it".  ::-)
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

That's a shame. Googling "tesco kefir" gives three results: Mlekovita, Łowicz and Bakoma. They're probably much of a muchness but Łowicz is good. That costs 69p for 400ml; compare to Ocado, 500ml Bio-tiful brand for £2.95!

It'll vary store by store I'm sure. Even between two (Tesco) in the same town the stocks can vary.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

Cudzoziemiec

I think the prices vary from store to store too (I'm not sure whether the online prices are the same nationwide or vary according to detected location or something), but I don't think they'll be Ocado level in any branch of Tesco!

hellymedic

• Just do it!
AIUI Tesco have three types of store, each with their own price bands.
The 'Local' stores are pricy convenience stores.
The Metro stores are small-medium supermarkets which are not too pricy
The big superstores, which are cheap but awkward for car-free.

Indeed no, my familiarity with the stuff (kefir) is from the local Polish shops,  having experimented (successfully) a couple of years ago in using it to make the bread part of limmonyk, a Russian dessert. (it's a rich flat bread with a centre of chopped whole lemon)

No other flavourings?

Nope, doesn't need it. I used the vinegar jar as the container, having pretty much run out of jam & preserve containers.

All I did was chop the top off the chillies, scoop out the centres of the larger ones, slice them in the food processor, cough my guts out and just managed not wipe my eyes..... that's it.

Random update after about a week: The vinegar flavour is mellowing, and beginning to taste more versatile as I was hoping. In the meantime, they are perfect in a pad thai, and unlikely to last that many months.

Cudzoziemiec

AIUI Tesco have three types of store, each with their own price bands.
The 'Local' stores are pricy convenience stores.
The Metro stores are small-medium supermarkets which are not too pricy
The big superstores, which are cheap but awkward for car-free.
The local ones are called Tesco Express. At least some of them are, they might have other names too.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Yeah, you're right. It's Sainsbury's that can their small shops 'local'. I think Waitrose call them 'little'...

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
Yeah, you're right. It's Sainsbury's that can their small shops 'local'. I think Waitrose call them 'little'...

I thought that was The Doctor.  He loves little shops.

Cudzoziemiec

Nah, we have a Little Waitrose (note capital L) in the middle of Bristle. Mostly patronized by students. I'm not sure what Sainsbury's call theirs, despite having one just down the road from home.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
The heck is kefir?

I’m making a rhubarb and apple crumble tomorrow from tinned fruit.  Eatyit with custard made from custard powder.

Nom.
Milk please, no sugar.

citoyen

The heck is kefir?

Fermented milk, like yoghurt but thinner and slightly fizzy. Has its origins in Eastern Europe. Bit of an acquired taste.

Supposed to be very good for the guts due to the live bacteria it contains, and is supposedly fine for the lactose-intolerant because all the lactose has been fermented out.

The heck is kefir?

Fermented milk, like yoghurt but thinner and slightly fizzy. Has its origins in Eastern Europe. Bit of an acquired taste.

Supposed to be very good for the guts due to the live bacteria it contains, and is supposedly fine for the lactose-intolerant because all the lactose has been fermented out.
It also works as a good substitute for buttermilk

And it makes great soap!