Author Topic: Decent cheapo camera  (Read 2263 times)

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Decent cheapo camera
« on: 29 July, 2008, 11:57:06 am »
I need a replacement camera for my Fuji 5800 which has gone walkies. Do I go for the S9600 or the S1000fd.

They have slightly different characteristics and both are about the same price (the 9600 comes with extras).

Which should I go for?
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
Re: Decent cheapo camera
« Reply #1 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:04:30 pm »
The S9600 it is, the 1000fd is slower, slightly smaller and and well the reviews aren't huge fans compared to the 9600.
You have the right to remain silent. Anything you say will be misquoted, then used against you.

Support Equilibrium

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #2 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:50:53 pm »
Nice camera, my FIL bought one on the strength of the S3600 we had.  When then 3600 broke we thought about getting another Fuji but decided that it was time to step up to a SLR, so got a Nikon D40.  Haven't looked back, even I can take decent pictures with it!!!
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #3 on: 29 July, 2008, 12:59:31 pm »
I figured for £120 I can't complain.

Support Equilibrium

tiermat

« Reply #4 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:01:36 pm »
That's a good price, I found them easy to use, certainly much easier to use than other compacts in that price range as I have rather large hands which don't go well with little dinky cameras.

Now get out there and start snapping away....
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

chris

• (aka chris)
« Reply #5 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:07:55 pm »
I've just bought my youngest daughter a Canon A470 from Amazon for £75ish. She's only had it a few days, but so far I'm very impressed. It has a great 2.5" screen and a decent lens. The pictures so far have been really good..

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #6 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:21:36 pm »
I was after something to sit in between my compact Sony W70 and the Nikon D60 for when I wanted better photos than a compact but didn't want all the kit or hassle of the D80.

Support Equilibrium

tiermat

« Reply #7 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:35:15 pm »
And really you just wanted to have an excuse to buy three different types of memeory didn't you? :) XD, MS and SD

Valiant

• aka Sam
    • Radiance Audio
« Reply #8 on: 29 July, 2008, 01:43:54 pm »
Well memory is negligible. It's all so cheap no that it doesn't bare thinking about as an issue.

Support Equilibrium

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #9 on: 29 July, 2008, 05:38:12 pm »
Well memory is negligible. It's all so cheap no that it doesn't bare thinking about as an issue.

8Gb class 6 for the D80 now at around 15 quid. Bargain. Gives me 8 shots at RAW before the buffer slows it down. (6 for class 4 cards)
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes