Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 475170 times)

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2075 on: 12 May, 2017, 05:10:15 pm »
New printers rather late in the day, I hear. Hopefully not too long now...

Any moment now!  They have been printed, so it's all down to Royal Mail.  What could possibly go wrong?  When you recall that we recently lost Tim as one of our editors, and that Sheila retired as editor after completing the previous edition, you will appreciate that there has been a lot of work going on behind the scenes getting this one out.  It didn't help that our existing Printer suddenly went into receivership either so we had to find a replacement for that.

Yes, big credit to Sheila for stepping into the breach and coming out of retirement temporarily. Also to Ged who luckily had the printer contacts to make it happen.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #2076 on: 14 May, 2017, 05:34:25 pm »
Is the list of Directors on p3 wrong or has LWaB been defenestrated in a palace coup?
Eddington Number = 132

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2077 on: 14 May, 2017, 05:58:03 pm »
Just a minor tweak overlooked by the group filling the gap caused by Tim's too-soon demise. I've already booked my leave for the next couple of board meetings.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2078 on: 14 May, 2017, 06:51:17 pm »
A great issue, well balanced.

I particularly liked the little feature on 8 year old Toby's first 100km in February, completing the Knights Templars and Cross event just in time.

One question if anybody reading this is familiar with OCD. On p15 there is mention of 3 riders who completed the Cingles triple ascent of Mont Ventoux in 24 hours, but I thought the OCD rules have a limit of only one ascent of each summit per day. Is there a special dispensation for the Cingles? I should hope so.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2079 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:10:58 pm »
It didn't help that our existing Printer suddenly went into receivership either so we had to find a replacement for that.

To be fair, they'd been on the edge for years.  Not that there are many printers who aren't.

rob

« Reply #2080 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:37:48 pm »
Enjoyed reading Tim's Great Triangle article again.   Many years since I last read it but I remembered a lot of it.   

I found an old memory stick last weekend that had a few photos that Tim has taken of me with Rob junior in 2007 at an El Supremo control in the Ashdown Forest.   Got a bit emotional seeing them.

« Reply #2081 on: 15 May, 2017, 01:48:09 pm »
^
+1
After reading that article I found myself planning a London - Land's End - John O'Groats - London route. Luckily Mrs WDM caught me in the act in the nick of time and removed the keyboard from my hands sharp-ish.
Eddington Number = 132

« Reply #2082 on: 15 May, 2017, 02:25:06 pm »
[...but, can you still get the bike out?]

Many thanks to the Editors and all the contributors - yet another grand job done.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2083 on: 15 May, 2017, 04:09:57 pm »
Mine arrived on Saturday.

« Reply #2084 on: 16 May, 2017, 10:25:28 am »
Sounds like a bit of an epic in the back office to get this one out - thank you, very much appreciated.

Lots of Big Rides in this one, I wonder if we need to make sure that some bloggers submit more rides? There are a good few of us that blog regularly... and it's still a nice thing to get Arrive and see something you have written in it and that it will stay in the record of the organisation....

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #2085 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:05:23 pm »
So has citoyen left the staff?
Milk please, no sugar.

citoyen

« Reply #2086 on: 16 May, 2017, 12:17:18 pm »
So has citoyen left the staff?

No! Sheila valiantly stepped into the breach to put together much of this issue despite having only just retired, Peter also contributed, and Ged put the finishing touches to it and sorted out the printer. I did very little, to be honest, just been too busy with the day job lately, but I'll be picking up the reins for the August issue.

Circumstances will dictate some changes in the way Arrivée is put together in future (hopefully to everyone's benefit), but I'll still be involved.

Dave_C

• Trying to get rid of my belly... and failing!
« Reply #2087 on: 16 May, 2017, 02:18:48 pm »
Thank you to everyone involved in producing the Arrivee issues. We all know these are an extra to most of your 'day jobs' and I for one am very grateful that you do put the effort in.

Being based in the furthest northern reaches (nearly), I am removed from most of what happens in the south, and only learned of Tim's death through this quarter's Arrivee.

Thoughts go out to Tim's family and friends.

Dave C
@DaveCrampton < wot a twit.
http://veloviewer.com/athlete/421683/

Martin

« Reply #2088 on: 17 May, 2017, 12:40:51 am »
+1 to that; some very nice tributes and phots, I'll include all the kind messages that have been posted here, the AUK forum and on Facebook for inclusion in the next edition, please keep them coming

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #2089 on: 17 May, 2017, 10:25:32 am »
I'm still waiting for my Arrivée to arrivé.   ** folds arms and taps foot impatiently **   :)

« Reply #2090 on: 17 May, 2017, 11:07:39 am »
I'm still waiting for my Arrivée to arrivé.   ** folds arms and taps foot impatiently **   :)

There is no-one with that name on the Mailing List.  PM if you want me to check the address

Planet X Paul

• The Green Machine
« Reply #2091 on: 17 May, 2017, 03:47:36 pm »
PM sent  :thumbsup:

« Reply #2092 on: 19 August, 2017, 12:10:50 pm »
Not sure if anyone knows the publication date of the August edition? Thought my copy had gone astray but as no one has commented on content it may not have gone to press. 
It's all about the breakfast

« Reply #2093 on: 19 August, 2017, 12:23:13 pm »
I am thinking that it may have been delayed to include a list of the finishers of the recent LEL, so maybe another couple of weeks.

« Reply #2094 on: 19 August, 2017, 12:30:56 pm »
And articles about same.  It is (understandably) usual to delay the magazine to get some articles about AudaxUK's biggest event.  Expect it to be replete with stuff about people's knees giving out!

citoyen

« Reply #2095 on: 19 August, 2017, 01:08:50 pm »
Sorry, everyone, the delay is my fault. It was held back for LEL stuff but there have been other unrelated problems. Hopefully it will be with you all very soon.

« Reply #2096 on: 19 August, 2017, 01:10:15 pm »
Many thanks, and supportive good wishes, to you Mr Editor!

« Reply #2097 on: 19 August, 2017, 04:42:56 pm »
Thanks citoyen.  I thought there might be some LEL connection but I can never be sure of deliveries from my post man.  I keep getting this mental picture of a spotty teenager a few doors down under the bed cover with a torch discovering Audax for the first time. How many vertical metres, will you look at the chain set on that. Ooo so that's what a route sheet looks like.

Good to know it's on the way, thank you for all of your work on this issue.     
It's all about the breakfast

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #2098 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:40:28 am »
Yay. Arrivée est arrivé!

I really like the new design. Clearly a lot of work has gone into this and I love the way the words and pictures woven together. I'm beginning to set about the task of reading, and I've got a train journey to York for a post-LEL drinks session tonight, so this gives me something to read for the next hour.

Thank you to David Kenning and Ged Lennox for such a wonderful looking edition. Ivo's photos are brilliant too.

« Reply #2099 on: 11 September, 2017, 11:57:48 am »
+1 to all of the above.   :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: