Author Topic: Arrivée est arrivé!  (Read 473136 times)

Re: Arrivée est arrivé!
« Reply #2300 on: 27 March, 2018, 02:10:37 pm »

Although I've no ambition to do LeJog this was a very well written article, full of useful stuff, but in an easy to read format. I hope it gets archived somewhere for the next nutter who wants to attempt this (and possibly my son and his wife)

Sent from my Moto E (4) Plus using Tapatalk
I'm blushing, very kind of you sir!

Hopefully someone will benefit from my experiences, and if anyone can fix that rainfall issue it will all have been worthwhile!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2301 on: 28 March, 2018, 11:43:32 am »
Postie's just delivered mine. I like the front cover – makes a change from the normal grumpy audaxers! :o
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #2302 on: 28 March, 2018, 12:22:34 pm »
Personal delivery from Portsmouth?

There's POSH!

;) ;D

« Reply #2303 on: 28 March, 2018, 12:57:10 pm »
Not much to add to what's already been said, except to say I really enjoyed reading it, content and presentation.  I'd have been happy if I'd bought it, that it come included in my AUK subs is exceptional.

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2304 on: 30 March, 2018, 05:16:15 pm »
I really enjoyed OD's article about dnfing, the towpath riding and the tour of the Pamirs. None of which are strictly audaxing, but all the better for that!
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #2305 on: 30 March, 2018, 07:06:23 pm »
Thanks for the warning - I'll chuck mine in to the recycling bin without opening it!

If I might say so, I think your comment is disrespectful!  By all means throw Arrivee in the bin unread if you like and you just deprive yourself of what others might think is a great read.  But this is a club magazine, put together lovingly by your club mates, in their spare time, for no payment, so you can imagine how your comments are received, and how much they appreciate your slap in the face.  Are you a member of any other clubs, and are you any more supportive there?

« Reply #2306 on: 01 April, 2018, 06:45:45 am »
Thanks for the warning - I'll chuck mine in to the recycling bin without opening it!

If I might say so, I think your comment is disrespectful!  By all means throw Arrivee in the bin unread if you like and you just deprive yourself of what others might think is a great read.  But this is a club magazine, put together lovingly by your club mates, in their spare time, for no payment, so you can imagine how your comments are received, and how much they appreciate your slap in the face.  Are you a member of any other clubs, and are you any more supportive there?

I suspect, knowing Frank, that should probably be subtitled 'I don't want to go through that debate again thanks'....Frank does a lot for our club, reads Arrivee and appreciates the efforts of volunteers (of which he is regularly one). Frank has even written for Arrivee I believe.
However, he is not a helmet enthusiast and has probably been told why he should wear one a few too many times.
I'm sure no harm was meant.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #2307 on: 01 April, 2018, 08:16:02 am »
I think it's worth seeing the entire context of Frank's comment:

Great news on the paper packaging.

Really sad the editing team didn’t learn from the last edition, to leave the whole helmet debate alone. It’s just a tribalistic wind up.

[My bold - Matt]
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2308 on: 09 April, 2018, 05:19:53 pm »
I really enjoyed OD's article about dnfing, the towpath riding and the tour of the Pamirs. None of which are strictly audaxing, but all the better for that!

:-*

« Reply #2309 on: 15 April, 2018, 02:47:27 pm »
I was quite moved during yesterday's Amesbury Amble by the fact that so many riders took the trouble to pull alongside and say how much they'd enjoyed reading my article about LEJOG in Arrivée. Thank you so much, I was really touched by the fact that you took the trouble, Audaxers are a proper community!

Two stand out comments from yesterday:

1) 'You must have a really understanding wife' - I relayed this when I got home and she appreciated it.

2) 'I liked the bit about Preston always being a bad experience as I've got a mate from Preston' - honestly I've been there 4 times and something has gone wrong every time, but I got payback yesterday as whilst we were riding QPR were busy losing at home to Preston North End! Glad I chose cycling over football this weekend, if any Preston fans had recognised me from Arrivée I bet they wouldn't have been as complimentary!

frankly frankie

• I kid you not
    • Fuchsiaphile
« Reply #2310 on: 16 April, 2018, 09:10:50 am »
From my long-ago experiences of LEJoG Preston going northwards is well worth researching beforehand, simply to avoid Unnecessary Miles.
when you're dead you're done, so let the good times roll

« Reply #2311 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:24:50 pm »
"Avoid Preston"
I think that being unkind about Preston merely reflects lack of route planning (as Frank implies). On an end-to-end, just drop down (eg using Wateringpool Lane) onto the old railway track which hosts NCN6 and follow the well signposted NCN all the way through town, across Moor Park, joining the A6 north of the M55. Do stop to admire the fantastic views up and down the Ribble: the route crosses the river on a motor-free bridge.

« Reply #2312 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:39:38 pm »
"Avoid Preston"
I think that being unkind about Preston merely reflects lack of route planning (as Frank implies). On an end-to-end, just drop down (eg using Wateringpool Lane) onto the old railway track which hosts NCN6 and follow the well signposted NCN all the way through town, across Moor Park, joining the A6 north of the M55. Do stop to admire the fantastic views up and down the Ribble: the route crosses the river on a motor-free bridge.

*Not a lejog*

I've toyed with the idea of trying to bypass Preston to the east, approach via Roach Bridge then through Brockholes on the guild wheel but the short section of A59 before you can get off under the M6 concerns me slightly

« Reply #2313 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:45:40 pm »

*Not a lejog*

I've toyed with the idea of trying to bypass Preston to the east, approach via Roach Bridge then through Brockholes on the guild wheel but the short section of A59 before you can get off under the M6 concerns me slightly
On my E2E I avoided Preston by going over the Humber Bridge - though I wasn't on an Audax timescale.

« Reply #2314 on: 16 April, 2018, 12:48:58 pm »

*Not a lejog*

On my E2E I avoided Preston by going over the Humber Bridge - though I wasn't on an Audax timescale.

;D

« Reply #2315 on: 16 April, 2018, 01:56:11 pm »
Just to put some perspective here, my comments were 'tongue in cheek'. The bits of Preston I went through were fine.....the only issue was the terrential rain and flash floods. It's just that every time I visit Preston something goes wrong..... I'm sure it's a very nice place.
Mind you, based on the data, probably not best to visit when I'm in town!

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2316 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:02:58 pm »
Just to put some perspective here, my comments were 'tongue in cheek'. The bits of Preston I went through were fine.....the only issue was the terrential rain and flash floods. It's just that every time I visit Preston something goes wrong..... I'm sure it's a very nice place.
Mind you, based on the data, probably not best to visit when I'm in town!

Some years ago I had the misfortune of staying in the Post House, Preston.  It was one of the most depressing hotel I have stayed in (1).  I should have upgraded my accommodation by punching a police officer thus earning myself a night in the cells.

(1) The Barrow-in Furness hotel I stayed in was probably the worst (late '80s)

« Reply #2317 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:03:57 pm »

And I've toyed with bypassing Preston to the West:  a LeJoG at 14 x 200 involving the Holyhead-Dublin and Belfast Stranraer ferries and going through all 5 countries of the British Isles.

« Reply #2318 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:23:04 pm »
Using some of the A6 through Preston on my LEJOG this August, stopping at Bilsborrow Premier inn

« Reply #2319 on: 16 April, 2018, 02:47:32 pm »
Using some of the A6 through Preston on my LEJOG this August, stopping at Bilsborrow Premier inn

Broughton to Bilsborrow is ok,in fact it's ok (only ok) pretty much all the way to the A590, I'd stay off the A6 south of Preston at Walton-le-Dale, although I have ridden it as result of stupidity and laziness, not pleasant

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #2320 on: 19 May, 2018, 05:13:53 pm »
Would it be possible / desirable to email current members a PDF copy at the same time as the print edition goes out? I ask because I love getting the printed mag but have limited space to hang onto back issues.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

« Reply #2321 on: 20 May, 2018, 10:10:20 pm »
Back issues are here http://www.aukweb.net/arrivee/
https://creweandnantwichaudax.wordpress.com/ - See the Audax events I currently organise

www.milehousebarn.co.uk - Cycle Friendly B&B in Nantwich, Chehsire

wilkyboy

• "nick" by any other name
    • 16-inch wheels
« Reply #2322 on: 14 June, 2018, 05:24:51 pm »
I received my copy of the Summer edition today, thank you   :-*

I haven't read it, but I did spot Richard Chew's article about his Cambridge Autumnal adventure (which will again be third Saturday in October this year)  :thumbsup:
Lockdown lethargy. RRTY: wot's that? Can't remember if I'm on #8 or #9 ...

« Reply #2323 on: 14 June, 2018, 05:40:35 pm »
It's looking better and better. The article on the last page will get mattc jolly batey

whosatthewheel

« Reply #2324 on: 14 June, 2018, 05:43:53 pm »
Nothing here... I've got FOMO...