Author Topic: [LEL17] Bag Drops  (Read 46653 times)

Re: How will bag drops work? (2013)
« Reply #50 on: 30 April, 2013, 05:29:06 pm »
I'll be glad when the deadline has passed - I chose mine months ago, but have spent the entire day modelling if I made a good choice & how well it works for a team of 2 trying to split bags that only weigh 2.5kg...  ::-)

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #51 on: 01 May, 2013, 05:38:31 pm »
I just picked two places that began with the same letter as my name. Where is Moffat?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #52 on: 01 May, 2013, 06:26:03 pm »
I just picked two places that began with the same letter as my name. Where is Moffat?

Hibernia I believe.

jogler

• mojo operandi
« Reply #53 on: 01 May, 2013, 07:13:11 pm »
Where is Moffat?

Just north of Carlisle

mmmmartin

• BPB 1/1: PBP 0/1
    • FNRttC
« Reply #54 on: 02 May, 2013, 09:04:09 am »

Hibernia I believe.
What? Are we going to Scotland then?
Besides, it wouldn't be audacious if success were guaranteed.

« Reply #55 on: 03 May, 2013, 10:11:49 am »
after seeing the drop stats feeling happy about my drops..... MR and BC.

figure I can cop with the flat lands to MR and have a tow rope waiting for me there.
Now it is a bi unfair to ask the lads to tow me over the hill bits in to Scotland so a 5kg Li-ion battery pack at BC should give them a bit of help to keep towing me!! I will of course do a bir of pedaling  :P down the hills

no for real, going out light to MR, I'll pick me sleeping bag up there....
sleeping mate at BC allows for a deeper sleep before the Scotland loop...... and a change of cloths.
I find a pack of dry wet wipe a remarkable complemt to a pack or wet ones.......

respects
Gd

« Reply #56 on: 30 June, 2013, 08:27:02 pm »
I saw somewhere details about the size of the bags but can't relocate it. How big are the bags again?

TIA
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #57 on: 30 June, 2013, 08:51:46 pm »
According to Facebook, 38*43cm
Right! What's next?

Ooooh. That sounds like a daft idea.  I am in!

« Reply #58 on: 30 June, 2013, 09:00:55 pm »
Ah, thats where I must have seen it. Looked everywhere else.

Thanks Marcus.
The older you get, the better you get, unless you are a banana.

« Reply #59 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:12:50 pm »
Is it possible to have one bag drop with 3 kg and one with 2 kg (for instance) ?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #60 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:17:30 pm »
NO - you have been told that there is a max of 2.5kgs per bag - rest of comment removed as far too aggressive.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #61 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:28:33 pm »
To be fair FB, this was the opening comment on the subject.

We've had a few queries about how bag drops will work. Here are a few more details.

You can deposit no more than 5kg of stuff with us, and we will be strict on this limit. You can use this limit in just one bag, or divide it between two as you see fit. If you want to transport 5kg of clothes to a single control, then you'll probably need to use two bags to do so.

Right! What's next?

« Reply #62 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:46:24 pm »
Thanks Marcusjb, that was the reason of my question...

Thanks Fidgetbuzz four your answer.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #63 on: 23 July, 2013, 10:54:33 pm »
On reflection - why might you actually want to be so specific that 0.5kgs is critical to each of your bag drops. very odd to my mind. Just carry the 0.5kgs with you  that you had wanted to put in the 3kgs bag.

PBP has no bag drops - you are being spoilt  with 2 bag drops - virtually makes it not an audax ride.

« Reply #64 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:01:38 am »
On reflection - why might you actually want to be so specific that 0.5kgs is critical to each of your bag drops. very odd to my mind. Just carry the 0.5kgs with you  that you had wanted to put in the 3kgs bag.

I assume the 3kg bag is a bag drop that will be visited twice (somewhere at or South of Brampton), so it's probably two changes of clothes and a bunch of other stuff compared to a bag drop visited just once (North of Brampton).

You could just carry the 0.5kg with you until you visit it first time, then leave it there. Or if it's some items like batteries or toiletries then just buy some just short of the control and then leave them there.

PBP has no bag drops - you are being spoilt  with 2 bag drops - virtually makes it not an audax ride.

?!
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #65 on: 24 July, 2013, 11:09:53 am »
On a serious note - what the heck are people taking to have 3Kg of stuff in one bag drop though???

I just weighed my stuff for my Thirsk drop bag (400 and 1000km) - 2 pairs bibs, spare base layer, 2 pairs socks and 2 jerseys (and even that might cut down as I don't need a new jersey each day). 

0.96 Kg

Sure, I will possibly add some little snacks to that.  But I really can't see having 3Kg of stuff.  Batteries - sure for those that need them.  But no toiletries (liquid ones anyway)

My 700km bag drop is 700 grammes (one set shorts, jersey, socks etc. - does include a spare inner tube).  I might add a spare battery pack there in case my USB charging strategy/equipment has gone tits up - 250 grammes.  I need to add a spare tube of NUUN there as well.  But should be under 1.5 Kg.

I am intrigued as to how it can get quite so heavy!

Right! What's next?

« Reply #66 on: 24 July, 2013, 11:56:20 am »
You're only [] that big, though, aren't you marcus? My clothes weigh double yours.

Add a tyre...

marcusjb

• Full of bon courage.
« Reply #67 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:07:42 pm »
You're only [] that big, though, aren't you marcus? My clothes weigh double yours.

Add a tyre...

True (on the size).

Not sure about a tyre, I'd considered it but I've never destroyed one in my life - I might chuck one in though (and it would only add 260g or something).  I might end up panic filling my bags up to the limit with stuff I'll not need!
Right! What's next?

Chris S

« Reply #68 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:08:25 pm »
Bearing in mind there are two of us on one bike, and we've elected to share 4 bag drops rather than monopolise two each:

1. 1.6Kg
2. 1.2Kg
3 & 4 1.0Kg

This will go up a little as we add a battery pack, or other last minute items. The bag size will be the limiting factor for two people's clothes, not the weight, IMO.

Ray 6701

• SO @ T
    • Tamworth cycling club
« Reply #69 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:17:05 pm »

Shouldn't of offered the blummin things then!
SR 2010/11/12/13/14/15
RRTY. PBP. LeJoG 1400. LEL.

Fidgetbuzz

« Reply #70 on: 24 July, 2013, 12:55:08 pm »
Bag drops are down to THE BOSS - give this old codger a choice and you would not have had any.

Quite a work load - especially for S & K, a significant cost to source and deliver to right place ( all being well) and then get back again to finish. 10 errors in 1000 bag drops - and there will be hell to pay from a disgruntled rider - this is one that I just doubt we can end up satisfying everybody all the time - and certainly my notes for the post event documentation include

2017 - NO BAG DROPS.

Unless PBP 2015 is so IMPRESSED with what we have achieved that they follow suit and then I am stuffed

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #71 on: 24 July, 2013, 01:01:37 pm »
IIRC PBP2011 had bag drops in the early literature (at a cost).

But don't try to match the French on everything - that way madness lies! (and we'd have really boring food at controls)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

simonp

« Reply #72 on: 24 July, 2013, 02:14:12 pm »

Add a tyre...

I’m putting a spare frame in mine, only 1.5kg.

« Reply #73 on: 24 July, 2013, 02:58:13 pm »
Bag drops are down to THE BOSS - give this old codger a choice and you would not have had any.

Quite a work load - especially for S & K, a significant cost to source and deliver to right place ( all being well) and then get back again to finish. 10 errors in 1000 bag drops - and there will be hell to pay from a disgruntled rider - this is one that I just doubt we can end up satisfying everybody all the time - and certainly my notes for the post event documentation include

There are solutions that lie somewhere between the two extremes, such as bag drops to one control (that's visited twice), i.e. Brampton. I was surprised that so much choice was being offered for bag drops.
"Yes please" said Squirrel "biscuits are our favourite things."

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #74 on: 24 July, 2013, 04:02:26 pm »

Add a tyre...

I’m putting a spare frame in mine, only 1.5kg.
I'd put a spare rider in mine.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.