Author Topic: What was the last film you watched?  (Read 942523 times)

Re: What was the last film you watched?
« Reply #8025 on: 22 April, 2018, 10:39:23 am »
Free showing of a Japanese film, Thermae Romae, thanks to the Japan Foundation.

Based on a comic strip (manga), about a Roman bath designer who gets transported to modern Japan and collects ideas for improving Roman baths in 135AD. A lot of comedy mainly through cultural clashes. Different and very entertaining.

« Reply #8026 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:57:30 am »
Pixels. I didn't expect it to be good but it was even more awful than anticipated.

Just don't.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Miles cycled 2014 = 3551.5 (Target 7300 :()
Miles cycled 2013 = 6141.4
Miles cycled 2012 = 4038.1

ian

« Reply #8027 on: 23 April, 2018, 09:39:01 am »
Beyond Skyline.

I'd actually mostly, like the rest of the planet, forgotten Skyline. Anyway, having recovered those memories from the archive, it's main feature was a cast of useless characters that made you mostly cheer for the alien invaders (but wasn't quite as bad as made out, if you want a low budget sci-fi B movie that's what you got). Anyway, the usual cliches abound, stupid aliens doing stupid alien shit (and honestly, why aliens don't keep their spaceships clean is beyond me, come on, no one wants to fly across the universe while at the same time risking stepping into a puddle of their own effluvium as they cross the bridge). I don't think much of it made sense, not even with beer. There was one majestic scene where they fight the aliens with kung fu, so for that alone I'm giving this movie a pass. Reminded me of the time when Chuck Norris kicked a demon's ass, not by incanting some Latin, but with his fists and a roundhouse kick.

Anyway, it's probably awful but ideal post-pub fayre.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8028 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:17:58 am »
My favourite grungy-alien film is District 9 - good old Wikus. I think I'll watch that tonight.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

ian

« Reply #8029 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:32:35 am »
District 9 annoyed me with the endless hammering of the apartheid metaphor. Yes, yes, I get it.

In a movie thread/beer crossover, I was most pleased to see Finn of Sharknado fame staring down at me from the beer shelves yesterday. Yes, yes, yes, there's a Sharknado beer from Northern Monk (a blood orange and sea salt IPA).

It goes without saying that it's now in my fridge.

Manotea

• Where there is doubt...
« Reply #8030 on: 23 April, 2018, 11:45:06 am »
Deja Vue (formula plot and bunkum science with Denzel) and the much better Enemy of the State with Smith & Hackman.

All the joined up available at the fingertips surveillence is a bit far fetched but I guess they're working on it and its more credible than  time travel. Just. Not that I'm paranoid or anything... anyway, it's you guys they're watching, not me....

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8031 on: 23 April, 2018, 01:09:08 pm »
Pixels. I didn't expect it to be good but it was even more awful than anticipated.

Everything that's good about that film is in the trailer (mostly the idea of street-Pacman).

But vastly better is the short that inspired it:

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/ugV6cLgwomo&rel=1" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/v/ugV6cLgwomo&rel=1</a>
https://youtu.be/ugV6cLgwomo

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #8032 on: 23 April, 2018, 06:59:55 pm »
Ready Player One

I hope they make a film from the book of the same name sometime, I rather enjoyed the book.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8033 on: 27 April, 2018, 08:13:27 am »
Last Flight of the Vulcan Bomber, considerably marred by the chortling oaf the engineering crew were doing their best to tolerate.  If they'd shoved him in the bomb bay and dropped him in the Firth of Forth the programme would have been much better.

Loved the plane, though. Mrs. T42 lived near Farnborough as a child and used to see and hear them all the time; I only saw one once, at an air display where high winds kept everything on the ground. We used to hear the same engines when we lived near Paris, though; we were under Corcorde's flightpath into and out of Roissy. Music.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #8034 on: 27 April, 2018, 01:13:46 pm »
Alien Covenant

Better than I was expecting. Knowing that it's a prequel to Alien, you can work out fairly quickly how it is going to end, which kills much of the suspense. And there's very much a feeling of having seen it all before - xenomorphs bursting out of people's chests has long since lost its shock value. The journey is entertaining enough though, even if it feels strangely slow at times, weighed down by portent.

Some of it didn't make much sense, which could be because I've not seen Prometheus, but then again, I read a synopsis of Prometheus and that didn't really help.
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8035 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:00:31 pm »
Alien Covenant

Better than I was expecting. Knowing that it's a prequel to Alien, you can work out fairly quickly how it is going to end, which kills much of the suspense. And there's very much a feeling of having seen it all before - xenomorphs bursting out of people's chests has long since lost its shock value. The journey is entertaining enough though, even if it feels strangely slow at times, weighed down by portent.

Some of it didn't make much sense, which could be because I've not seen Prometheus, but then again, I read a synopsis of Prometheus and that didn't really help.

This, and Prometheus, were disappointing in that (like many Star Wars sequels) they had decades to refine the story into a logical and seamless "fit"...but failed.

At least the fairly meh Alien 3 and  oh dear Alien 4 "fitted".
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #8036 on: 27 April, 2018, 07:03:46 pm »
Annihilation

Netflix Sci-Fi movie about weird mutant "Avatar" zone.

I gave up on it.  It is by far and away the least tense, tense film, I have ever seen.  The carefree way the main characters jump into a river to free a colleague from a giant mutant Alligator beggars belief.

Dreary stuff.

Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #8037 on: 27 April, 2018, 08:01:06 pm »
It shouldn't really be possible for anything with a giant mutant alligator to be dreary.  Will give that a miss.

ian

« Reply #8038 on: 27 April, 2018, 09:19:40 pm »
Your really should know better not to mention either of those two Alien retreads. I can't handle the level of stupid in those movies. Prometheus starts with the DNA the wrong way around and that's the least of its sins. I can only assume in both movies Earth is exporting all the stupid people because IQs really did drop while Ripley was away (I know she's technically not been away but we can evidently all play fast and loose with the plot, such as it is).

To be fair about Annihilation, it's based on a very dull book.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8039 on: 28 April, 2018, 07:40:25 pm »
If it is the film I think it is, it is based on a book I suspect came from an idea ripped off from David Gerrold.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_War_Against_the_Chtorr

The books are from the 80s, and the source of that film 2014.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

« Reply #8040 on: 28 April, 2018, 09:47:30 pm »
Hacksaw Ridge, which is based on a true story.  Gory battle FX, but the story is powerfully told - no doubt with a good dose of dramatic licence.  Well worth watching I thought.
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #8041 on: 28 April, 2018, 10:59:21 pm »
Wind River

Earnest, with poor snow at the beginning and gratuitous violence. Although it was only 99p on the iTunes Store, I’d watch it again.

It is simpler than it looks.

Paul

• L'enfer, c'est les autos.
« Reply #8042 on: 29 April, 2018, 09:22:06 am »
Infinity War

Completely awesome. I started reading Marvel comics in 1974 and - while I have had some long breaks - I never really stopped.

It took a long time for the sfx to be good enough, and for there to be enough buy-in (anyone else remember the Spidey film from the late seventies?  :facepalm: ),  but it was worth the wait.

Seeing it with the boys made it even more brilliant. Dyl clapped spontaneously when The Guardians of the Galaxy appeared and again when the action moved to Wakanda  ;D

It’s a long film with a lot of plot but I didn’t notice that while watching it. I’m going again asap.
What's so funny about peace, love and understanding?

citoyen

« Reply #8043 on: 29 April, 2018, 01:30:35 pm »
anyone else remember the Spidey film from the late seventies?

I don’t remember the film itself but I remember my dad taking me to see it at the Granada in Maidstone. By the time we got to the front of the queue, it was sold out so my dad got us tickets for something else instead.

But then by chance we accidentally went into the wrong screen, the one where Spider-Man was showing, so I got to see the film after all.

In my youthful innocence, I believed it was a genuine mistake, but with hindsight, I wonder... Must ask my dad about that some time.

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #8044 on: 29 April, 2018, 02:54:24 pm »
Annihilation

Netflix Sci-Fi movie about weird mutant "Avatar" zone.

I gave up on it.  It is by far and away the least tense, tense film, I have ever seen.  The carefree way the main characters jump into a river to free a colleague from a giant mutant Alligator beggars belief.

Dreary stuff.

Forced myself to watch it all the way through, if only to make sure that it finished in the regulation manner of all American SF films, i.e. by
(click to show/hide)
  And it did.

For the rest, I reckon the scriptwriters had either been reading Chaga or smoking something yeahhhhhhhh.

It would have been much better if they hadn't been able to stop it and had concluded that it was going to take over the world and turn Donald Trump into a philodendron.

Steph

• Fast. Fast and bulbous. But fluffy.
« Reply #8045 on: 30 April, 2018, 09:07:30 am »
Not the last film, but a chance re-encounter.

Ruthie and I went to see 'Arrival' together when I was working in her area, and we both enjoyed what was, for once, a reasonably intelligent SF film. Yesterday, by chance, reading a Kindle slush pile SF compilation, I came across the original story, "Story of your life"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Story_of_Your_Life

What a delight! I really, really enjoyed a story that covered liguistics and other deep ideas in a challenging way, as well as delivering a non-linear narrative so well.
Mae angen arnaf i byw, a fe fydda'i

citoyen

« Reply #8046 on: 30 April, 2018, 12:38:02 pm »
Captain Underpants: The First Epic Movie

Amusing. My son used to read the books when he was younger and enjoyed them. I think the film does them justice and doesn't outstay its welcome at 85 minutes. I'd be more inclined to go and see Infinity War if it were edited to 85 minutes running time.

ian

« Reply #8047 on: 30 April, 2018, 01:32:29 pm »
I'm very looking forward to Infinity War and just hope it's over-the-top mental and lasts about a week (given the price of Imax tickets, it should last a week). Sadly, I have to wait two weeks as I'm away.

« Reply #8048 on: 10 May, 2018, 08:57:20 am »
Papillon. Must be twenty years since I last saw it and its still a really good film. Probably helped out that it was a hot sweaty night when I was watching it.
Steve McQueen was a proper film star, dominated the screen whilst only having about ten lines in the entire film. He'd be 88 now had he lived.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

ian

« Reply #8049 on: 10 May, 2018, 06:59:19 pm »
Seat-back-movie time again, it's always hard work remembering, I know I watched more than this because I can't sleep on planes. Anyway, I did really enjoy The Death of Stalin, especially Steve Buscemi's turn as Khrushchev and Jason Isaac's splendidly northern Zhukov. Some Maze Runner thing that I think was longer than the actual flight. It might still be playing. The Commuter, in which Liam Neeson has another bad day. Honest, that guy can't go anywhere. Serviceable I suppose, if you enjoy watching Liam have a bad day. 12 Strong awful gung-ho Americana. Don't bother unless you want chew on your own sick.

ETA: Oh, and finally after some Netflix trash of late, Radius, which is worth a punt and good demonstration that with a bit of thought, it's possible to put together a decent low-budget thriller.