Author Topic: Disc brake road bike goodness.  (Read 100333 times)

Re: Disc brake road bike goodness.
« Reply #600 on: 10 May, 2016, 07:24:23 pm »
Anyone got/seen/touched/sniffed a Ribble CR3?

Went to pull the trigger today to find the Domane Disc frameset price has shot up to £1200  :( :( :(

Anything else remotely close to it in terms ofweight/comfort/discs/guards/fat tyres..?

Are you back in Glasgow, or could you make it to Thornaby tomorrow night? If the latter you could try my Renegade.

Still in Glasgow mate. Back in a couple of weeks. Is the Jamis available as a frame only? I have all the bits I need, bar a frame.

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #601 on: 10 May, 2016, 07:49:47 pm »
Forgot that bit about frame only. I'll have a dig for you (a friend of a friend mentioned something, the other day about "knowing" people at Jamis)
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #602 on: 25 May, 2016, 02:18:09 pm »
Very lightly OT but I saw the cannondale synapse in grey and orange and what stunned me was the fact that at £1300 it included hydraulic disc brakes and mudguards.  It was the former I found surprisingly I thought £1700ish was the price point for those.  The group set except for cranks was SRAM rival.

« Reply #603 on: 13 September, 2016, 09:11:37 pm »
Damn you, Genesis! Just as well I can't afford it, because it's just too pretty:

« Reply #604 on: 20 January, 2017, 02:39:18 pm »
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOBBB/on-one-bish-bash-bosh-carbon-adventure-gravel-frameset

The green and orange in my size are down to £499. The remnants of my RTAd Domane all fit, 'cept the BB.

In that gawd knows when I'll get a pay out from the insurance, I've bitten the bullet on this. It's not exactly what I want (ATR tripster / Mason Bokeh / OPEN UP), but it's relatively cheap and means I can fashion the Domane I eventually get into something faster and flashier.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #605 on: 20 January, 2017, 09:47:52 pm »
I have the 105 hydraulic brakes on a Genesis Datum.  Hear my cautionary tale

I got the bike and did the Kernow and South West 600 on it as a little test.  It did great apart from vibration during braking on long descents.  A bit of adjustment fixed that

Then I set off on the Mille Pennines.  On the other side of Hard Knot Pass coming down the disks made a "funny noise" I put this down to over heating but of course it was due to the pads being completely worn out.  After "only" 1000km of quite hilly riding.  The pads gave up completely the next day destroyed the rotor and I had to pack

The 105 brakes come with a resin pad, I wasn't clear on how to change them and had no spares but after less than 1000 not very wet km I was surprised they'd worn out.  The BB7s on my other bike last a lot longer

Further experimentation showed that worse case was 202km from new to completely spent

So my advice to you is work out how to change the pads and carry spares, even after a couple of hundred km

By using sintered pads, carefully bedding them in and cautiously braking to use the back as much as the front I can get over 1000km out of a set of pads.  TBH I think that rim brakes are probably better for long distance

« Reply #606 on: 20 January, 2017, 11:24:10 pm »
The 105 brakes come with a resin pad, I wasn't clear on how to change them and had no spares but after less than 1000 not very wet km I was surprised they'd worn out.

Standard pads on the SRAM discs on my Mason lasted for over 5k km, including some very wet and hilly rides. There was still plenty of life in the pads when I replaced them (I prefer to replace brake pads and tyres before they get too worn).

« Reply #607 on: 21 January, 2017, 01:56:42 pm »
The 105 brakes come with a resin pad, I wasn't clear on how to change them and had no spares but after less than 1000 not very wet km I was surprised they'd worn out.

Standard pads on the SRAM discs on my Mason lasted for over 5k km, including some very wet and hilly rides. There was still plenty of life in the pads when I replaced them (I prefer to replace brake pads and tyres before they get too worn).

My XT-level pads on my 29+ MTB have done just shy of 3,000km, and still have life in them. I changed the ones on my Domane just before I was knocked off - would have done over 6,000km. Mechanic said they were only half worn, but I wanted the flash finned ones. It isn't flat where I live. I am amazed you wore them down so quick. Changing them is super easy - much easier than even cartridge pads. I keep spares in my tool kit.

I keep some in my tool kit

« Reply #608 on: 22 January, 2017, 11:46:34 am »
I think OEM pads are possibly sh!te, regardless of the type or make of brake.

See thread about disintegrating brake pads.

I've gone through a set of rim pads in less than a month of winter riding, probably about a 1000km of not hilly rides so relatively gentle braking.

<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #609 on: 22 January, 2017, 12:38:18 pm »
http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/FROOBBB/on-one-bish-bash-bosh-carbon-adventure-gravel-frameset

The green and orange in my size are down to £499. The remnants of my RTAd Domane all fit, 'cept the BB.

In that gawd knows when I'll get a pay out from the insurance, I've bitten the bullet on this. It's not exactly what I want (ATR tripster / Mason Bokeh / OPEN UP), but it's relatively cheap and means I can fashion the Domane I eventually get into something faster and flashier.

It'd be interesting to see how you get on with that. I have to admit to liking the looks of it, in a comic-book sort of way  :-[

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #610 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:19:50 pm »

I've gone through a set of rim pads in less than a month of winter riding, probably about a 1000km of not hilly rides so relatively gentle braking.

Shimano 105 hydraulics only take Shimano pads as far as I can see

There is a phenomenally expensive and generally difficult to buy swissstop one as an alternative and that is all

« Reply #611 on: 27 January, 2017, 06:44:33 pm »

There is a phenomenally expensive and generally difficult to buy swissstop one as an alternative and that is all

http://www.discobrakes.com/?s=0&t=0&c=14&p=1042&tb=001

105 hydros are rs505

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #612 on: 28 January, 2017, 03:57:15 pm »

105 hydros are rs505

why on earth didn't I spot this before?  I use discobrakes.com for BB7 pads
Ordered a 4 pack.  For less than the price of one official shimano pair

« Reply #613 on: 30 January, 2017, 07:53:33 pm »
I'm seriously considering this:
https://www.paulscycles.co.uk/m7b0s6p6695/CUBE-ATTAIN-GTC-PRO-DISC-2016
Does anyone have any opinions on it (good or bad)?
Cheers
Duncan

« Reply #614 on: 30 January, 2017, 08:05:49 pm »
Obviously not ridden one, but seems like a decent price for the spec.

« Reply #615 on: 07 February, 2017, 05:46:43 pm »
I've done about 15 000km on my "new" road bike with discs (Ultegra R785 with 140mm rotors, resin pads).
It's been mostly good, very good. I certainly am a convert and wouldn't buy another bike with rim brakes.
Consistent braking in the wet and not chewing through plenty of rims is the main thing (I am a large lad).
I was trying to think how many times I've changed pads I don't think it's more than twice, so they appear to last for about 5 000km.
...I'll make a note of when I next change them to be sure.

It's not all good though:
There is sometimes occasional rubbing, which requires caliper realignment, prodding and swearing. Rim brakes are just so much easier to adjust.
I have different wheelsets (dynamo hub & normal). There's a few micrometers of difference in the hub size, so the caliper needed to me moved when I changed wheels. (I found a solution to this: one can get 0.2mm "disc brake shims" which allow one to move the position of the rotor in relation to the flange on the hub).
Mine are QR, so maybe the thrubolt system addresses this.

Last summer I had a potentially serious disc brake incident which made me realise that there are limitations:
I was descending Alto de l'Angliru in Spain (It's about as steep and sustained as tarmac gets).
I know from my MTB days that one shouldn't drag the brakes, but going down this hill that's exactly what I did (I didn't really feel that I had a choice). I experienced major brake fade. Levers were clamped full and the bike wasn't slowing down!
A hairpin bend was approaching at speed and found myself quickly considering what solution would keep me alive and allow me to keep some skin.
I pumped the brakes and they came back to life...but only just.
Obviously one is very unlikely to encounter descents like that very often, but be warned discs do have limitations

« Reply #616 on: 07 February, 2017, 07:18:04 pm »
I think the thing to do with disc is either alternate dragging (if you really need to drag), or accept that you'll have let bike run then brake hard for a bit slowing down a lot.

Brake fade happens with rim brakes as well and I've reduced rim brakes to burning black smoke just in Leeds, let alone in the alps.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #617 on: 07 February, 2017, 09:30:07 pm »
I have never taken either of my disc brake bikes down such a serious mountain (same types of brakes), but I can see that maybe in that situation 160 rotors would be better for heat dissipation, together with metalic pads rather than resin - (they are supposed to be better at high temps according to Shimano).

I have 140 rotors on my Trek Domane with the 'Freeza rotors and finned resin pads and 160 on the Genesis with the earlier Icetech rotors and metalic pads, but as I am a fairly light rider I've fortunately not had any fade.

I think I read that for racing the neutral service were going to standardise on 160mm.

vorsprung

• Opposites Attract
    • Audaxing
« Reply #618 on: 12 March, 2017, 06:30:51 pm »

105 hydros are rs505

why on earth didn't I spot this before?  I use discobrakes.com for BB7 pads
Ordered a 4 pack.  For less than the price of one official shimano pair

There's good news and bad news

Good I managed to get 2000km out of the last set of pads!  And they didn't wear back to the metal, I just decided to change them

Bad, the discobrakes pads I bought a load of do not fit in the RS-505 calipers, they are a few mm too wide.  See picture

See what discobrakes have to say about it but I suspect it's back to official over priced Shimano ones

« Reply #619 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:27:38 pm »
Looking at the pic I would say that the new pads are for the RS785 caliper not the latest BR805/505 types.

Just had a look at my spares - I have both types and was surprised to see that the new 805 types have only about 75% of the friction area of the 785's (much narrower as you point out) - so I'll have to keep an eye on the different wear rates between bikes.

« Reply #620 on: 12 March, 2017, 11:16:13 pm »
The only time I've managed to make my discs smell was descending Hardknott as fast as I dare. I weigh 70kg. My mate weighs 100kg, and he barely has to touch his brakes and they reek!

I'm running 160s with thru axles. I mostly feel like I could not want for more braking power, albeit my smashed up teeth attest to their inability to stop a car running you over.

I don't know if thru axles solve brake rub, but I have never had it on any MTB or road bike with them. I've got an offroad set of wheels for my BBB - 6 bolts instead of centrelock, different model disc, etc. They swap over fine, without a murmur - maybe I'm lucky.

It's lovely having a completely ready to go set of wheels for offroad shenanigans.

« Reply #621 on: 13 March, 2017, 11:34:23 am »
I'm really enjoying my new Cube (160mm discs, 12mm through axles, 505 hydros).
Cube by duncancmartin, on Flickr
The disks are wierd - they kinda chatter if the surface is bad, and then they sort themselves out again after. I have noticed that if I get out of the saddle I can sometimes cause  a bit of zing, zing, zing type brake rub. They may not be perfectly centred though - need to have another go at that.
They screeched a little in the wet yesterday, but the modulation and power is exceptional - noisiness is a minor irritant if they continue to work!  :) They won't be fully bedded in yet either.
Cheers
Duncan

« Reply #622 on: 13 March, 2017, 11:57:45 am »
My rear disc is warped, happened when the pad disintegrated I reckon. It's only out by less than 1mm, but that's enough to cause a zing zing. Not enough to make me want to get spanners out and spend ages trying to true it, but it is still irritating.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #623 on: 14 March, 2017, 07:10:41 am »
I have a question with regards to the front righthand shifting on my new Trek Domane .
It's a RS 685 shifter , on the upshift sweep (going small to big at the back) I'm only able to shift two gears at a time (I can only get two clicks in a complete sweep of the leaver)🙁 All my previous shimano leavers( or sram/campag) have let me shift three in one go .
So the question is do I have a faulty shifter or is two clicks/shifts all I'm getting?

« Reply #624 on: 14 March, 2017, 08:13:29 am »
Hydros are where it's at. Been on the Shimano 785s for 18 months now and they are brilliant. Only critiscism is that the travel is a bit longer than I have on my other bikes, but I can live with it. It's just a matter of popping the wheel out and pumping the brakes to set the pads closer. If they end up rubbing yiu just push the pistons back in with a tyre lever (or use a suitable spacing shim)

Was engaging in some stupid riding yesterday chasing a mate through traffic. Had to do a full on stop at one point. Needed every ounce of control and modulation. Not convinced the rim brakes would have seen me right.