Author Topic: Disc brake road bike goodness.  (Read 100766 times)

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
Re: Disc brake road bike goodness.
« Reply #575 on: 14 April, 2016, 11:52:02 am »
By a happy coincidink a Pinnacle Arkose 3 has come in for service this morning. 5800 105 with an FSA Omega crank, unbranded hubs - probably JoyTech - on Alex rims and Pinnacle branded ancillaries.

My BRANE says the Planet X has a nicer finish and feel to it. Nice paint thobut,

Totally subjective, YMMV, etc. etc . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #576 on: 14 April, 2016, 11:06:08 pm »
Trigger pulled last night on the London Road :)

(In Stealth Black, though -- sorry John!).

You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #577 on: 14 April, 2016, 11:12:08 pm »
Trigger pulled last night on the London Road :)

(In Stealth Black, though -- sorry John!).

I did a build with one of those frames just after Xmas.

Black is SO last year, dahlink!

I'm sure you will like it. BTW, I'm not jealous. Not at all . . .
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #578 on: 15 April, 2016, 03:28:19 am »
Black is the only colour for a Gentleman's Bicycle, as I believe has been said before.  In the current socio-economic climate being mistaken for an Oik could lead to criminal proceedings, deportation or exposure in a Sunday newspaper, and no-one wants that.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #579 on: 15 April, 2016, 04:28:02 pm »
]

Sorry, didn't take any Marmite out.

Got it setup as per my Madone, which necessitated a stem swap and a "slammed" headset cap. Tyres are 28s, which with the flexy seat tube makes for a very comfy ride. One finger braking from 160mm hydraulic discs is fabulous. I can see tired hands on audaxes loving them. Through axles and the BB90 bottom bracket makes it feel incredibly burly. It does not seem to give at all side to side. Weight is on the chunky side. I think it was 8.6kg before I added lights and guards.

Feels ideal for commuting.

PS those Fabric cageless bottles are shit. Avoid.

bikey-mikey

• AUK 6372
  • Yes, I am completely mad ! a.k.a. 333
« Reply #580 on: 15 April, 2016, 05:34:29 pm »
Black is the only colour for a Gentleman's Bicycle, as I believe has been said before.  In the current socio-economic climate being mistaken for an Oik could lead to criminal proceedings, deportation or exposure in a Sunday newspaper, and no-one wants that.

Errr, I'm sure you mean FLUORESCENT black, which is the only way to go  ;D ;D ;D
I’ve decided I’m not old. I’m 25 .....plus shipping and handling.

Cycling heatmap
https://www.strava.com/athletes/4628735/heatmaps/6ed5ab12#10/51.12782/-3.16388

« Reply #581 on: 15 April, 2016, 05:52:12 pm »
]

Got it setup as per my Madone, which necessitated a stem swap and a "slammed" headset cap. Tyres are 28s, which with the flexy seat tube makes for a very comfy ride. One finger braking from 160mm hydraulic discs is fabulous. I can see tired hands on audaxes loving them. Through axles and the BB90 bottom bracket makes it feel incredibly burly. It does not seem to give at all side to side. Weight is on the chunky side. I think it was 8.6kg before I added lights and guards.

You have guards on. I hate you. Please tell me the shop did it.

« Reply #582 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:00:48 pm »
You have guards on. I hate you. Please tell me the shop did it.
Last time I bought a bike I made the shop fit the guards. Does that make you feel better?
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #583 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:19:35 pm »
My LBS (Chevin, especially Paul and Kev the mechanics) is super lovely. They took my Madone, took measurements, and made all the changes as part of the PDI to make the Domane fit the same.

Yes, including the guards. They did a lovely job of shaping the stays to mount on the calliper bolt.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #584 on: 15 April, 2016, 06:26:28 pm »
]

Well, all things are relative I suppose.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #585 on: 15 April, 2016, 07:22:38 pm »
Well, all things are relative I suppose.

Relative to Dr M, 8.6kg is probably about 20% of his bodyweight!

(Really lovely looking bike, by the way, Dr M)
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #586 on: 15 April, 2016, 07:40:42 pm »
Rode a rim brake bike in the rain today after riding discs for 6 months.

I was reminded how much better discs are.

« Reply #587 on: 15 April, 2016, 08:02:00 pm »
Cheers citoyen. I wasn't sure about it, but I'm pleased how it turned out. Cables need shortening, and there are stickers to remove, but the guys at the shop are extraordinarily patient and accommodating. Paul delayed building up his own Remedy 9 to get this ready at short notice, and Kev moved some BSO jobs around.

The stiffness of thru axles and the huge, wide rims, plus the effortless braking, makes it feel more like my mountain bike than my Madone. Also, the Madone is 7.2kg, with 1500g wheels, with 190g tyres and 50g tubes. The Madone flies - it's a thrill. This feels safe. It's weird being in the same position, but the bike beneath me feeling so different. I think the 1800g wheels and big tyres will be a big part of it.

This is my bulk miles bike. I'm hoping it'll be fun without costing too much to keep running. I won't be putting Zipp 404s on it, regardless of how much they reduce them.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #588 on: 15 April, 2016, 08:10:36 pm »
nice looking bike. i wonder when the good quality and light wheels (and not costing well into four figures) will become more widespread. i'd like some stiff and reliable 1.5kg (including rotors) wheels that i could put on a disc-braked bike..

« Reply #589 on: 15 April, 2016, 11:15:05 pm »
http://www.justridingalong.com/wheels/jra/jra-jawbone-wheelset-with-pacenti-sl25-rims.html

We will get there.

I've got several wheels from JRA, and they've been flawless. Never gone out of true, never a loose spoke.

Now if you swapped the £70 450g Pacenti rim  for a $150 390g LBC carbon rim, you are down to 1490 not including rotors, but under £500, I reckon.

I'd probably stick with the Pacentis - the SL23s I've been running have been great.

« Reply #590 on: 16 April, 2016, 01:48:55 pm »

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #591 on: 17 April, 2016, 05:19:03 pm »
Had I gone with JRA wheels instead of the Hunts, I know I'd have been happy. Hunt have the Aero Light Discs (1469g) for £459 (or will when their next batch arrives). Plenty of good options if you don't mind an extra 100g....

« Reply #592 on: 17 April, 2016, 06:07:06 pm »
Had I gone with JRA wheels instead of the Hunts, I know I'd have been happy. Hunt have the Aero Light Discs (1469g) for £459 (or will when their next batch arrives). Plenty of good options if you don't mind an extra 100g....
I really like the look of the Hunts.

As an aside, I used to ride BMX at R & D bikes' quarry back in 94/95 when Dom Mason has just come back from Taiwan, and only had one product (a bmx gyro without sharp edges). DMR wasn't really a thing back then - he just seemed to be bringing occasional batches of cheap alu bmx over that the local scrotes used to buy. After I went to uni, the v8/v12 pedals and the trailstar frame came out and the rest is history.

I once badly crashed a prototype full-sus bmx of his attempting to use a kicker to jump out of the quarry. He was very nice about it.

StuAff

• Folding not boring
« Reply #593 on: 17 April, 2016, 07:24:09 pm »
Little update pic of the T5G, on the train yesterday morning heading to the smoke for Sam's London-Hastings ride. According to the wise men at my LBS, not really designed for mudguards. Fortunately they took this as a challenge and didn't charge me full labour. As the fork lacks 'guard fittings, this involved little brackets on the brake and near the through-axle lever, with Sugru & cable ties as a belt and braces solution for the crown. Rear was rather simpler (Trek mounting brackets went into those eyelet holes) but still involved a bit of cutting to clear the FD. Rack much easier- new seatpost collar for the top mount, P-clips on the frame. Both 'guards and rack very effective and rattle-free. Litespeed have just announced the 2016 model at Sea Otter- rack mount eyelets are now an optional extra, the geometry has been tweaked for a slightly longer wheelbase plus even more tyre clearance (though they still say 40mm), and they've gone to flat mount disc fittings and a 12mm axle on the fork instead of 15mm on mine. Not that fussed about the changes- this one has everything I wanted, and it's awesomely good. Jack of all trades? Just a master :)

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

velosam

• '.....you used to be an apple on a stick.'
« Reply #595 on: 03 May, 2016, 03:08:59 pm »
I have just been browsing the planet x site, aren't all of its gravel bikes based upon one frame and then built or coloured differently - or am I missing something?

« Reply #596 on: 03 May, 2016, 08:39:14 pm »
I'm doing the same! I think the Viner Strada Bianca and the Tomac Montezuma are the same, the On One Bish Bash Bosh seems to have different geometry (higher BB and longer chainstay), maybe a bit more off-roady?

Would be good to hear anyone's opinion of them. My intended uses are year round commuting (2x20km) and Audax.

« Reply #597 on: 10 May, 2016, 05:19:16 pm »
Went to pull the trigger today to find the Domane Disc frameset price has shot up to £1200  :( :( :(

Anything else remotely close to it in terms ofweight/comfort/discs/guards/fat tyres..?

tiermat

• According to Jane, I'm a Unisex SpaceAdmin
« Reply #598 on: 10 May, 2016, 06:05:23 pm »
Went to pull the trigger today to find the Domane Disc frameset price has shot up to £1200  :( :( :(

Anything else remotely close to it in terms ofweight/comfort/discs/guards/fat tyres..?

Are you back in Glasgow, or could you make it to Thornaby tomorrow night? If the latter you could try my Renegade.
I feel like Captain Kirk, on a brand new planet every day, a little like King Kong on top of the Empire State

IJL

« Reply #599 on: 10 May, 2016, 06:10:07 pm »
I'm doing the same! I think the Viner Strada Bianca and the Tomac Montezuma are the same, the On One Bish Bash Bosh seems to have different geometry (higher BB and longer chainstay), maybe a bit more off-roady?

Would be good to hear anyone's opinion of them. My intended uses are year round commuting (2x20km) and Audax.

The Strade and the Montezuma are the same frame but there should be some good deals coming on the Tomac as the right to use the Tomac name is coming to an end.  The Viner was reviewed in cycling+ recently and got a less than glowing report.  The Bish bash bosh looks very nice but I've not seen a review or spoke to any owners.  I live fairly close to planet x and the showrooms are well worth a visit and everyone is very helpful.  There is a new Ti Audax bike with discs but the price is a bit high for me