Author Topic: homebrew?  (Read 65001 times)

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
Re: homebrew?
« Reply #75 on: 02 February, 2014, 07:32:52 pm »
+1 to leaving it a few months. I don't think we've drunk anything less than 3 months old. Mind you, there's stuff in the shed that must be about 4 yrs old now!
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #76 on: 02 February, 2014, 08:10:15 pm »
Actually it tastes all right at 15C. I've got a bottle in the fridge to try later.
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #77 on: 14 February, 2014, 02:32:21 pm »
Today I am bottling the Brupaks Belgian Christmas Ale that my sister gave me for Christmas. It's been fermenting for nearly four weeks - didn't intend that to happen but I was ill the weekend I'd originally planned to bottle it, and I haven't had time to do anything with it since.

Sitting on the trub that long doesn't seen to have harmed it - it tastes fine.  Slight estery flavours but I think that's normal for style anyway. From an OG of about 1040, iirc, it's down to 1010, which is lower than I was expecting - instructions said to expect FG of around 1015. That puts it at about 4% abv, by my reckoning. I've batch primed it with 50g of sugar (for a 9L batch) prior to bottling, which should give it a bit more oomph after conditioning.

Now to see if I can keep my hands off it until next Christmas...

"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

David Martin

« Reply #78 on: 14 February, 2014, 11:53:12 pm »
My efforts appear to have found universal favour. Definitely tastes less than 4% though. I find a 300ml bottle to be just right.

citoyen

homebrew?
« Reply #79 on: 15 February, 2014, 09:57:23 am »
4% for a Christmas beer seems a bit low?

It does, doesn't it. I may be misremembering the OG...

I've found someone's home brewing blog and using the same kit, he got an OG of 1050. That would put it at a bit over 5%, which sounds more like it.

The kit included a teabag of coriander and juniper, and another of chocolate malt, to be steeped in boiling water in the can with the residual wort.

citoyen

« Reply #80 on: 10 March, 2014, 03:26:49 pm »
I'm planning my next brew. My sister wants me to do something for our family get together for her 40th in June. I had the idea that something like a Saison would go down well. I asked for tips on the JBK forum and was pointed at this recipe on the Cooper's site:
http://www.coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/ale/detail/biere-du-mois-saison/

1.5kg can Cooper's APA
1.5kg can Cooper's Wheat Beer
500g light DME
25g Saaz hops
11g Belle Saison yeast

Brewed to 20 litres, that should make a good, strong, flavoursome brew. I'm going to get it on asap to give it plenty of time to condition ahead of June. Mmmmmmm!

citoyen

« Reply #81 on: 15 March, 2014, 02:00:10 pm »
Ingredients bought:

I've also got a Coopers Stout on the go at the moment. I've used my fish tank heater for the first time in this brew, to ensure consistent temperatures. However, I didn't think to calibrate the thermostat before starting and I think the gauge is reading substantially under - I set it to 20C but the thermometer strip on the outside of the FV is showing 22-24. Result: overpowering estery banana smell! (Isoamyl acetate, I believe, caused by overworked yeast.) Which might be a desirable quality in the Saison when I make it, but isn't really to style in a stout.

Oh well. One to chalk down to experience. I'm not going to chuck the brew - might yet turn out drinkable.

David Martin

« Reply #82 on: 15 March, 2014, 05:53:26 pm »
The Coopers IPA is good at 23 litres. I brewed at the lower limit of the temp range (probably below)and it is very nice.

citoyen

« Reply #83 on: 06 April, 2014, 06:09:03 pm »
I bottled the Saison today. Tastes flipping great already and should be even better after a couple of months in the bottle. It's come out at about 7.2% abv, which is higher than I was expecting, but that's because the final gravity was considerably lower than I was expecting. Interesting.

I've put the next one on already - a Coopers APA beefed up with a bunch of Fuggles and EKG hops. 

Unfortunately, because the last two brews have been for special occasions, I've got nothing ready to drink at the moment except the overheated stout, which has turned out drinkable but not great. And it gives me a stinking hangover.

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #84 on: 28 April, 2014, 10:15:02 pm »
On Saturday Vernon started a brew (15l) using Milestone Green Man and the dregs of 4 Duvel bottles. It already smells very Belgian.

David Martin

« Reply #85 on: 19 May, 2014, 09:05:54 pm »
The pilsner (Coopers Pilsner, with Youngs beer enhancer as a sugar source) is underway in the usual brew it cool and long method. Seems to be doing well and smells good. 1010 now after 2 weeks, might have to assist it a little with a modicum of warming if I am to get to bottling next weekend.

David Martin

« Reply #86 on: 20 May, 2014, 06:31:12 am »
Probably around 14-15C ? Whatever temperature the cellar is at. The bumpf in the kit said that they used a different yeast for the Pilsner than the other kits. I was thinking a mild increase of a degree or so. It certainly didn't seem quite as enthusiastic as last time, but I used a spray malt/dextrose mix rather than plain white sugar.

David Martin

« Reply #87 on: 24 May, 2014, 10:08:28 pm »
Didn't raise the temp. It had finished a couple of days ago so I bottled it tonight. Light, citrussy. Sweet as I had added priming sugar (Add an amount as a solution to the intermediate transfer vessel so it is a consistent priming.)

IMAG2203 by davidmamartin, on Flickr

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #88 on: 25 July, 2014, 02:20:32 pm »
oops, I got myself a DIY kit from Coopers today and it is brewing away with a lager, only thing they had in the shop. Good news if I fail, it's only lager and I can start on something with taste sooner.

Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #89 on: 01 August, 2014, 01:37:11 pm »
Bottled 38x500ml today, now two more weeks of waiting to go ...

While I wait any Home Brew Kits recommendation, especially IPA or APA? I do like them hoppy so was thinking about doing a bit of dry hopping.

Will ask for a Leffe Blonde like beer later :)

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #90 on: 30 August, 2014, 11:22:05 pm »
Hmmm the lager is still not right. I think it is because I had it in the FV at 28c the first two days before the temp started to drop.

Though the Authentic IPA, a Coopers' recipe, I bottled today tasted really good. Wonder if I can wait the four weeks I had planned to leave it in the bottles.

Next up a crimbo beer clone of Tuborg's brilliant Julebryg, again a Coopers' recipe.

« Reply #91 on: 02 September, 2014, 01:35:19 pm »
While I wait any Home Brew Kits recommendation, especially IPA or APA? I do like them hoppy so was thinking about doing a bit of dry hopping.

You could try adding some hop oils in secondary/bottling bucket instead of dry hopping (which can be a pita due to the hops floating around). You could add to any kits you like but reckon could do with some extra hoppiness...

I believe the Malt Miller sells small bottles of Cascade and a couple of others with syringes and instructions - the Cascade would obvs be ideal for American style beers.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #92 on: 19 September, 2014, 06:24:53 pm »
Well the Authentic IPA have now lived for three weeks in the bottles and is going to struggle stay much longer in these bottles, tasty!

Well I can now say I have brewed beer - colour me chuffed :-)

David Martin

« Reply #93 on: 05 October, 2014, 09:56:56 pm »
Was that the Coopers IPA? A very good kit that IME was far too morish.

I have just got a new brew on. It uses spray malt as the sugars and has 'teabags' to steep the hops/grains before fermentaiton. I more or less followed the instructions (sort of) but boiled up the teabags for longer as I have a suitable cannibal pot (along with a coulpe of extra secret ingredients just for fun to see what happens with that). Then dissolved the malt in the hot liquor before making up to 23l. Waiting for it to cool down before adding the years and transferring it to the cellar.

It should be an 80/- when done. Probably be awful or at least not live up to the standard of the Coopers kits which were most excellent.

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #94 on: 05 October, 2014, 10:14:27 pm »
Yes it was with added extra, just like this one - http://coopers.com.au/#/diy-beer/beer-recipes/strong/detail/authentic-ipa/

I think it got too much sugar in for the carbonation. The next time I brew it up I will do 100-110g instead of the 150g I used.

David Martin

« Reply #95 on: 07 October, 2014, 06:44:00 pm »
I think I used about 75g of fructose for my carbonation.
The 80/- is progressing well.

David Martin

« Reply #96 on: 12 October, 2014, 07:30:37 pm »
The 80/- was bottled today. Very dark and quite a lot of suspended yeast. However there is the very faintest hint (if you know what to look for) of the seekrit flavours. It seems to be drinkable, a suitable winter ale. Give it some conditioning and then see.

So far so good. 40 pint bottles and a small 'leftovers' as well. An ideal present for a friend who is being inducted as a minister this week (and likes a pint or two).

..d

David Martin

« Reply #97 on: 27 October, 2014, 09:49:34 pm »
Very dark. Not stout dark, but getting that way. The extra ingredients defintiely make it interesting. A hint of sweetness, a long lasting head, a malty aroma. Slightly earthy with a taste that seems to be growing, and at a readily drinkable strength. A suitable winter brew.

I probably should have let it sit a little longer before bottling - it was very keen to exit the bottle.

citoyen

« Reply #98 on: 28 October, 2014, 08:25:08 am »
Sounds lovely.

I currently have a Coopers stout on the go, which I've beefed up with some extra malt so it should come out around 5% abv. I've also added a hefty dose of Amarillo hops, and I'll be dry-hopping it with some more Amarillo tonight. Looking forward to seeing how it turns out.

David Martin

« Reply #99 on: 01 November, 2014, 09:29:56 pm »
It has recieved rave reviews farm various of my colleagues.