Author Topic: Marmalade  (Read 72630 times)

Re: Marmalade
« Reply #150 on: 07 January, 2017, 06:26:31 pm »
Today I have quince cheese :D. It is popular in Portugal, Spain and in the south of France and actually not cheese at all but marmalade made from quince. It’s dark red, very sweet and a bit astringent. I used to like it at my childhood in the French Riviera where my parents used to spend holidays. The landscape and the local food seemed out of this world (to get an idea see for example here https://tranio.com/france/cote_d_azur/ ).

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #151 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:54:31 am »
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/feb/28/future-less-bright-orange-marmalade

Very good piece! None of my children is under 28, but the youngest is the only one of them who does not like marmalade. A frisson of anticipation goes around the family whenever I make a batch.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #152 on: 28 February, 2017, 09:42:37 pm »
Though we are around twice 28, we seem to have stopped eating any preserves, aside from occasional RED jam in my rice pudding.
My jam sugar remains years old, untouched in the kitchen cupboard, as do several jars of jam and Rose's Lime Marmalade.

We no longer have toast & preserves for breakfast at home.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #153 on: 28 February, 2017, 10:21:31 pm »
I am having far less than I was, as I have mostly cut out refined sugar, but there are some things without which life would not be worth living. Good marmalade is one of these. I think I have had no more than 5 slices of bread with marmalade in the past 4 months or so.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #154 on: 28 February, 2017, 11:22:28 pm »
My jar of marmalade, Frank Coopers Thick Cut Oxford, is now years old, but still viable. Being T1 these days I very rarely eat it, but my other half got very short shrift when she suggested binning it last week.

Some standards must be maintained.
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

« Reply #155 on: 08 March, 2017, 10:21:09 pm »
Wow's marmalade is seriously good and especially the version with molasses and Seville oranges. Nom nom. Today's Youf do not know what they are missing. There is some seriously good produce made within these walls.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Tigerrr

• That England that was wont to conquer others Hath made a shameful conquest of itself.
  • Not really a Tiger.
    • Humanist Celebrant.
« Reply #156 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:22:10 am »
I love dark, heavy, bitter lumpy marmalade. The best I know comes from Ludlow food centre where they make their own, but it is prohibitively expensive to get sent to London. Can anyone recommend a source for really lush marmalade London way?
Humanists UK Funeral and Wedding Celebrant. Trying for godless goodness.
http://humanist.org.uk/michaellaird

« Reply #157 on: 12 March, 2017, 07:45:03 am »
Aside from the store cupboards chez Wow & myself, I would recommend the Duchy Originals , if I ever run out that's the one I buy.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #158 on: 07 December, 2017, 12:36:58 am »
Another 17 pots of wonderful marmalade, destined for (mostly) my nearest and dearest. A pot of top quality home-made marmalade is worth any number of Christmas cards.

« Reply #159 on: 07 December, 2017, 10:16:38 am »
Which reminds me I should go and see if the greengrocer's got any Sevilles in...

« Reply #160 on: 07 December, 2017, 02:07:05 pm »
Didn’t see any until February last winter.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #161 on: 08 December, 2017, 07:31:57 am »
If any of you don't make your own and happen to be there Castle Howard's Lime and Elderflower marmalade is a thing of wonder. Only sold at the shop in their stables so far as I know though.
I think you'll find it's a bit more complicated than that.

« Reply #162 on: 06 January, 2018, 04:11:17 pm »
Which reminds me I should go and see if the greengrocer's got any Sevilles in...
Our local Waitrose has the boxes of 'marmalade oranges' back. Three, along with two bags of lemons (which were half price) are now sitting in my kitchen. I know what I will be doing in the morning.
"No matter how slow you go, you're still lapping everybody on the couch."

« Reply #163 on: 07 January, 2018, 11:54:32 am »
If any of you don't make your own and happen to be there Castle Howard's Lime and Elderflower marmalade is a thing of wonder. Only sold at the shop in their stables so far as I know though.

We were there again last week and I tried to buy some more. Unfortunate it seems the lady who made it has retired and they had sold the last jar :(

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #164 on: 07 January, 2018, 12:46:48 pm »
Seville oranges were on sale in Waitrose the other day. £2.79 a kilo. They can stay there at that price.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #165 on: 18 March, 2018, 12:04:23 am »
I didn't buy any Seville oranges this year, but will rely on frozen stocks from previous years. I just filled 11 jars with hot marmalade. It's luscious!

Mrs Pingu

• Who ate all the pies? Me
    • Twitter
« Reply #166 on: 18 March, 2018, 10:32:32 am »
Do not clench. It only makes it worse.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #167 on: 18 March, 2018, 02:47:41 pm »
I saw this in Lakeland the other week and was intrigued.....
http://www.lakeland.co.uk/15261/Home-Cook-Marmalade---Prepared-Seville-Oranges-Thick-Cut-850g

I have, once, used an equivalent. "Mamade" I think it was called. The claim was that the tin contained nothing but shredded Seville oranges but the resultant marmalade was much blander than the stuff I get when I start with the whole fruit.

« Reply #168 on: 18 March, 2018, 05:17:12 pm »
I need a recommendation for a really good bitter marmalade. Most of the commercial ones are too sweet. I had found a great one locally from a small producer but they have ceased production (retired).
Currently working my way through  all the brands but keep getting disappointed.  Next year I will make my own I think.

« Reply #169 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:27:48 pm »
Waitrose Duchy Organic is my favourite, but the stuff I make is closer to achieve proper bitterness, I boil any scraped off pith in a separate muslin wrap, doing it together with the pips I find I don't get sufficient pectin out.

« Reply #170 on: 13 April, 2018, 01:32:22 pm »
We had to resort to gelatine this year to get a semi-set. Still miles better than anything bought.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

hellymedic

• Just do it!
« Reply #171 on: 14 April, 2018, 11:45:07 am »
I didn't ask Lynn how she made the marmalade we had for breakfast today but it was rather good...
www.cambrianway.com

« Reply #172 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:34:56 pm »
we made bergamot marmalade this year which is amazing!  Tart but undertone of sweetness with the bergamot top note.

« Reply #173 on: 17 April, 2018, 10:41:17 pm »
OK, sounds interesting, what did you do? My bergamot was all dead by Jan. Dried it? How much?

« Reply #174 on: 11 January, 2019, 03:22:50 pm »
Saw the suggestion today from a friend on Facebook that along with her regular plain and whisky marmalades she'd also made Campari marmalade. I am now minded to try this, as well as Aperol marmalade...