Author Topic: Zwift online trainer fun. Anyone using it?  (Read 3256 times)

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
Zwift online trainer fun. Anyone using it?
« on: 18 March, 2015, 02:45:27 pm »
http://www.zwift.com/

If you haven't seen this yet it's in its Beta state and you initially have to request an invite to use it. Only usefull if you have a power meter or supported trainer, then you have to buy an Ant+ dongle for your PC or Mac.

I'm on a long recovery from injury and hate turbos but its been fun playing around on here, there is a weird sort of community even if most riders so far are from the USA. 
Recieving encouragement and having quick chats with riders from around the globe takes the tedium out of indoor spinning.

The other day the legend Jens Voigt caused quite a stir as many riders tried to ride with him, bizarre yet fun.

so anybody else using it, or interested ???

There is a facebook group but this is an ideal place to discuss and arrange virtual rides in future if it takes off.

gibbo

• Riding for fun, cake and beer.
    • Boxford Bike Club
Re: Zwift online trainer fun. Anyone using it?
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2015, 10:45:41 am »
A friend of mine is using it. He seems to be enjoying it.  I don't have a power meter (you don't actually need one to ride the course) and am too tight to buy a ~£25 dongle so won't be investing.

« Reply #2 on: 09 May, 2015, 10:01:03 pm »
I got a BKool turbo for Christmas which has similar online sexiness.

I find that I get a much better session than I used to on my regular turbo and there's been times when I can barely stand up when I get off. Only problem is my internet connection can be a bit dodgy so it can drop out.

TimC

• Old blerk sometimes onabike.
« Reply #3 on: 09 May, 2015, 10:27:19 pm »
Yes, I'm on it occasionally. I use rollers, which can be a bit disorientating when you go round corners (I find the same using Sufferfest videos with TrainerRoads!). I'm on the Mac version, which didn't work at all for ages, but an update last month finally got it working for me.

As yet there are no training workout, though they're coming. The social side is really good, and some people have done several thousand kms round the two courses we've had so far. I also have a BKool trainer, and I have to say though it's good for structured training, it's nowhere near as much fun! It would be good if BKool would release their Private Ant+ protocols to Zwift so the program could control the trainer's resistance. There have been hints that they may do so, so I'll hang on to it for now.

« Reply #4 on: 30 December, 2015, 01:21:35 pm »
Zwift got a huge update. Lots more routes are available now and also you can ride with the whales.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #5 on: 04 January, 2016, 12:41:09 pm »
had a quick look at the underground "beach " route, looks smart and the turn choice adds a whole new perspective too it. I noticed yet another section where another turn was under construction.

I arranged with several local riders to get on there together the other night, it was really good fun "riding" with 6 other friends chatting and blasting out a few sprint competitions while the rain hammered down. I hope they let us add a team jersey in future.

« Reply #6 on: 04 January, 2016, 02:23:02 pm »
Team jerseys can be added if your team has more than "350" members.

Jack_P

• Cycling hobo
« Reply #7 on: 04 January, 2016, 02:42:20 pm »
Team jerseys can be added if your team has more than "350" members.
I seriously doubt if any "team" has 350 riders logged onto zwift, guess its like most things, its who you know.

« Reply #8 on: 04 January, 2016, 09:34:08 pm »
I would need a touring version, you know, 2 overfilled paniers and a bit slow after a big lunch........

simonp

« Reply #9 on: 05 January, 2016, 02:01:29 am »
If Bluetooth support were there I'd be in. Surprised this has been such a low priority for them. Might try it anyway if I ever find my ant+ dongle again.

« Reply #10 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:34:42 am »
I have an ant+ dongle, but when I log in, there's a BT option.

simonp

« Reply #11 on: 05 January, 2016, 09:57:50 am »
I have an ant+ dongle, but when I log in, there's a BT option.

According to their website only via a phone app. And last I checked it was still in beta and no claim to be reliable.

« Reply #12 on: 15 January, 2016, 09:40:25 am »
The bluetooth on Zwift is working very well for us.

It is in BETA but anyone can use it.

The instructions are here

https://support.zwift.com/hc/en-us/articles/206576683-Bluetooth-LE-BLE-Support-for-HR-Monitors-Power-Meters-and-Cadence-Speed-Sensors

We have a Polar H7 HR strap and a Wahoo SC speed and cadence sensor and use an iPad for the app.

We also have some ant+ stuff and you can easily mix and match if you need to.