Author Topic: Ventouxs  (Read 8811 times)

Re: Ventouxs
« Reply #25 on: 13 August, 2015, 09:02:38 pm »
I might give this a go on the Moulton, which breaks up into TGV-friendly hand luggage.  Direct train from St Pancras to Avignon, then onto the newly opened Avignon-Carpentras train.

« Reply #26 on: 14 August, 2015, 07:48:22 am »
what planning/logistics did it take, had you been to ventoux before? I've never been, would I be ill advised to try this blind?

I had never seen Ventoux before and never cycled a mountain like it.

Looking at the elevation profiles I'd quietly decided it didn't look too bad. Bedoin, considered the hardest has an average elevation of 8.5%. Though the first few km is quite gentle which has to made up for.

But seeing as its not unusual to see gradients of 15% in the UK I expected a long gentle climb going on forever. Well I got a bit if a shock on my first ascent. Those 15% grades in the UK generally only last 100m on so. 20km averaging 8.5% with kms that average 13% is a lot different. There's no respite, no top just around the corner.

I was unwell the night before and halfway through the first ascent I thought I'd bitten off more than I could chew. I was looking at the speed I was crawling at and doing the math and didn't think I would finish in time. It was going to be a long day, but I'd just carry on and do my best till I ran out if time.

The first descent was worse than the climb. It was freezing and I wasn't used to it having been riding fixed recently. It kept going on and on with sharp hairpin corners long scary straights and by the time I got the bottom my hands had pins and needles and my shoulders where in knots from gripping into the brakes in terror.

After a desperate emergency bathroom stop to aleve my upset stomach, my next ascent was significantly faster than my first. I was starting to feel better and my legs were getting used to the idea if pushing consistently for that long.

It's nice how the ride is so easily broken up into 6 chunks. I was doing the climbs in descending order of difficulty, so after I'd done Bedoin twice I knew it should be all down hill from there (well not literally). From the time it'd taken me to do that I knew I was doing OK and should be able to finish this after all if I looked after myself and could just keep going.

The descent to Malaucene was perhaps the most beautiful road I'd ever seen and there were hundreds if cyclists out now tackling the climb. The ascent however was much harder than I expected. Wasn't this supposed to be getting easier? It starts off quite gentley for the first 1/3 and luls you into a false sense if security so you start riding faster and harder than you should. Then the next 1/3 hits you and you spend what seems like forever grinding up gradients between 11-13%. Then you come around the corner and see what appears to be a sheer cliff not too far away with the observatory at the top and think how can a road go up there? And how will I get up it? Luckily this looks worse than it is and then I was at the summit again. Though now I had to weave my way through a mosh pit of cars looking for parking, tourists taking in the view and cyclists collapsing relieved and hunting desperately for shade.

After Maulaucene the Sault ascent is relatively gentle until in rejoins the Bedoin route. You even have to pedal in parts in the way down. But it's still over 100km that has to be done. It's a test if your will to complete the challenge. The last approach to the summit was the hardest. The last 8700m of climbing must've really taken it out of me. But of course, by then there was no way I wasn't going to make it, if it meant dragging myself with my arms.

Well sheesh, that turned into a bit of an epic write up on my phone.

But yes I think it's doable by most if you have the will. I ended up finishing in under 20 hours and I'm over 100kg so by no means a climber.

The main thing to remember is safety. This is a mountain. It's not like anything in the UK. Its half a kilometer taller than Ben Nevis. In the summer it can be 30c at the summit or it can be -5c. And both in the same day. And all while it's a sunny 38c in Bedoin. Winds over 300km/h have been recorded on the mountain. Clothing options are essential. The ascents could take over 3 hours of labour in temperatures that will scorch fair British skin so you need to have ample liquid available.

It can be hard, but it really is a beautiful mountain and you should totally give it a go!

« Reply #27 on: 14 August, 2015, 09:39:55 am »
 I agree that  Malaucene is one of the most beautiful ascents!

hillbilly

« Reply #28 on: 14 August, 2015, 10:06:45 am »
Four questions do I have, hmmm:

What's a good base to stay at beforehand?
Is there a recognised window of time when it is generally felt to be "optimal" in terms of likely weather conditions?
Would an attempt in late September / Early October be particularly at risk of snow/rain disruption?
Can you buy the brevet over there or do you have to order it in advance?

Any views/thoughts on these would be rather helpful in shaping my current fuzzy thinking of "maybe" and "possibly".  At least for the cingles (I don't think I want to attempt the bicingle).

« Reply #29 on: 14 August, 2015, 05:04:46 pm »
We wanted to stay in Bedoin because its were we wanted to start from. We stayed in Hotel des Pins, because it was the only place with availability when we booked 2 weeks ago. I'm sure it wasn't the cheapest, but it was lovely with hammocks and a pool and just a few km down a slight grade to the start of the climb. There's plenty of bike friendly accommodation oprions for all budgets if you book in advance.

I don't know about what time of year is best. Our weather was great. But 38 degrees in Bedoin might be too hot for some. Obviously it was much cooler on top. But the website has some tips about that type of thing. It's a really cool informative site.

http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org

I entered on the website. I prefer to be prepared, and had to get straight into it the morning after I arrived.

Bedoin and the surrounding villages are one of the worlds little cycling meccas. So if nothing else the cingles are a great excuse to visit a lovely place.

« Reply #30 on: 14 August, 2015, 07:31:12 pm »
Just a bit of info on travelling to that area by train...there are now options on the Paris-Avignon TGV that take fully assembled bikes, which means that if you take the London-Paris Eurostar train opting for the £30 bike service and pay an extra 10 euros on the Paris -Avignon leg you don't have to bag your bike up. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #31 on: 15 August, 2015, 06:31:41 pm »
HK and I couldn't book our bikes from Avignon to London in July. Luckily we were on separable bikes (Moulton and S&S respectively) and raided the local hypermarket to pack them as hand luggage before the train arrived.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #32 on: 17 August, 2015, 04:58:42 pm »
I stayed at Des Pins for my 40th birthday Ventoux celebration this year and it was lovely.

I hired a bike from France Bike Rentals in Bedoin and they were excellent. I eschewed the really expensive option and went for the bike equiped with a tiagra triple and 12-30 cassette, which was definitely a good option.

I wanted to avoid stopping on the way up but it was sometimes a wee bit of a struggle to drink on the steep slopes. I saw a lot of people with camelbaks which seemed a pretty good idea.

I went mid June and the weather was fairly benign, but there were a couple of thunderstorms and I spoke to a chap who had been forced to turn aroun 1k from the top due to lightening crashing around him. As Brokebutt says, it's a big mountain and the weather needs to be respected.

Audax Ecosse - always going too far

arkle

• Mr Full Value...
« Reply #33 on: 17 August, 2015, 06:40:26 pm »
I stayed in Bedoin for a week in June - my third visit - and did the three Ventoux ascent routes (although not all on the same day).

In my opinion the area is a cycling paradise, there are many superb days out, eg Gorges Du Nesques, as well as Ventoux. After a day on the bike one can sit under the plane trees in the square in Bedoin and a nice person brings you cold beer from the bar on the corner. You can amuse yourself trying to identify the different languages and cycling shirts. People visit from all over the world to try the mountain, the whole atmosphere of the place is unique in my experience. If you can, go there.

I'd also add that the locals seem genuinely friendly and pleased that you are supporting their town, not something I'd say about everywhere in France!

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #34 on: 17 August, 2015, 07:40:59 pm »
(thats not the Gorge that was on Le Tour this year, is it? I've been down Verdon(sp?), thats amazing - the French do have some nice gorges. Mainly in Provence, it seems! )

I had no idea what the locale was like! From race coverage (and blogs of cyclists) you would think that Ventoux is in the middle of a boring plateau. Its beginning to sound like quite a nice all-round destination ...

(but not for Audaxing ;) )
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #35 on: 24 August, 2015, 08:54:01 pm »
Hoping to do this in late September. I've looked at the online form and it seems you have to specify the date you will do the challenge (3 ascents is enough for me). Is that correct? Presumably buying the paperwork once there means you have more flexibility? Just thinking that might be the better option so can judge the weather in the days before.

« Reply #36 on: 25 August, 2015, 04:13:53 pm »
Top marks mate - I did the Cingles a few years back and that was hard enough so a big Chapeau for doing that twice in the day!

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #37 on: 25 August, 2015, 04:57:29 pm »
Zigzag and I stayed in Malaucene - where there is a wide choice of hotels and restaurants and then rode round to Bedoin to start the ascent from there, which meant we finished our descent in the town square for our breakfast.   :smug:  We also had perfect weather on 3/7/14 - cloudless sky, no wind, and about 20C at the summit by 9am.  It would have been very hot later in the day.  (31c by 11am when we left Malaucene for the drive home)
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 571 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #38 on: 25 August, 2015, 05:56:18 pm »
It can be done very easily. Just fly to Marseille and hire a car to Ventoux to a b&b place etc. Most of them will have locked garages for bikes. Then just climb the next day. Only logistics is knowing when to go. I would say late May and ALL of June is best time personally.

You can order your brevet here : http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/en/ but I think it actually cheaper to buy it over there in a shop.

You don't even have to fly with your bike because there are loads of hire places. Did Ventoux last year on 1st August on an unusually windless day. Walked into a hire shop at random in Bédoin with no prebooking and hired a Trek Carbon Madone for 45€. Triple chainset, lowest gear 30X30 AND IT STILL WASN'T LOW ENOUGH!! They also switched out the pedals to suit my shoes, having options available for every eventuality. One ascent was quite enough though. Scariest part was a visit from the p-fairy while bombing down at full tilt on the descent.  Maybe go back for another pop at it for my 60th in 2014?
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #39 on: 25 August, 2015, 07:06:36 pm »
I've read that a Boris Bike is adequate, and possibly cheaper?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #40 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:50:18 am »
It can be done very easily. Just fly to Marseille and hire a car to Ventoux to a b&b place etc. Most of them will have locked garages for bikes. Then just climb the next day. Only logistics is knowing when to go. I would say late May and ALL of June is best time personally.

You can order your brevet here : http://www.clubcinglesventoux.org/en/ but I think it actually cheaper to buy it over there in a shop.

You don't even have to fly with your bike because there are loads of hire places. Did Ventoux last year on 1st August on an unusually windless day. Walked into a hire shop at random in Bédoin with no prebooking and hired a Trek Carbon Madone for 45€. Triple chainset, lowest gear 30X30 AND IT STILL WASN'T LOW ENOUGH!! They also switched out the pedals to suit my shoes, having options available for every eventuality. One ascent was quite enough though. Scariest part was a visit from the p-fairy whule bombing down at full tilt on the descent.  Maybe go back for another pop at it for my 60th in 2014?

I hired a bike first time out there and i didn't like it despite trying to get it to be like my normal bike set up. I am very particular to my bike setup. But yes anyone can just hire a bike out there :)

« Reply #41 on: 26 August, 2015, 10:49:30 am »
I wasn't wholly comfortable on the hire bike either, with limited opportunity to adjust position other than saddle height, and I didn't get that quite right. The hire shop had a huge range of choices from basic aluminium framed machines to the latest carbon bling. Their steel bikes appeared to have been retired from the hire fleet and were for sale at silly 'retro' prices, for which read high. It was probably a mistake not to have spent more time on set up before setting off, but the day was advancing and the heat was rising. Earlier riders were coming down as I set off mid-morning. For mid-summer an early start is recommended, but we had to drive there from 60km away so mid-morning was the best we could do. Cingles or Bicingles - madness!- would need a really, really early start! 
They laughed when I said I was going to be a stand-up comedian. They're not laughing now.

« Reply #42 on: 26 August, 2015, 11:09:34 am »
The recommended time start for Cingles is 4am as it meant that the first two climbs should be finished by 12 pm if you were good enough and then you can eat/relax for an hour or so and then get on with the final climb of Sault. I don't even want to think about doing bicingles!

« Reply #43 on: 26 August, 2015, 01:00:13 pm »
I booked the bike hire online in advance and they asked for various measurements such as height, inside leg and wingspan. They did a pretty good job of setting the bike up in advance with only minor tweaking required.
Audax Ecosse - always going too far

« Reply #44 on: 26 August, 2015, 03:40:45 pm »
Wasn't meaning to sound as if I was criticising the hire shop. They were friendly and helpful. The lack of set-up adjustment was mostly due to my impatience to get on with it and my lamentable lack of French to ask for what I wanted.

Meanwhile, there's them that does it twice or thrice or six times in a day, then there's thems that get obsessed with the 'Giant of Provence'. See below the current third 'story' on the Ventoux page of http://www.climbbybike.com/climb.asp?qryMountainID=4

Story by Hurtecant Roland from Bellem ( Aalter), Belgium, submitted on 05/07/2015
I am Roland momentarily the recordholder of number of climbs in Belgium as well in the Netherlands.I climbed mont Ventoux for the 187th time on sunday 7 th of June 2015.Iam emotionally attached to this mountain because there is a statue since 1979 on the Col des Temêpêtes with my name on it but the statue is dedicated to all cyclists of the world the. Each climb is different and I enjoy every moment ,greeting picknickers ,greeting cyclists passing me or encouraging cyclists standing by foot because they underestimated the climb or are using the wrong gear to tame this beast.I know each curve, each stretch and adapt my speed with the right gear. Coming through the wood is welcome with the Chalet Reynard in sight.Some riders make a stop .I mostly don''t interrrupt my rhythm I am a fan of small gears -seen my age and weight.My heart beat rate is about 115-120 maximum. and my average for the climb is 2h50-3hours...and I Always laugh at the top!

ONE HUNDRED AND EIGHTY SEVEN TIMES!!

iddu

• Are we there yet?
« Reply #45 on: 11 February, 2017, 04:39:04 pm »
I may need therapy...

Entered a Bicinqlette for May.

Contemplating using t'cog - can't find any nutter that's Bicinglette'd on t'cog yet  ::-)
I'd offer you some moral support - but I have questionable morals.

« Reply #46 on: 11 February, 2017, 06:13:24 pm »
I may need therapy...

Entered a Bicinqlette for May.

Contemplating using t'cog - can't find any nutter that's Bicinglette'd on t'cog yet  ::-)

Having done just the cingles with gears last Autumn, I can say that would be well and truly mad. Good luck with it!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #47 on: 11 February, 2017, 09:59:02 pm »
Octopus from RUSA did the four Ventoux climbs on fixed just before PBP. I can't remember whether it was PBP11 (probably) or PBP15. HK rode the Cracker Swamp 1200 pre-ride with him and he finished PBP Audax 2016.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #48 on: 11 February, 2017, 11:47:26 pm »

« Reply #49 on: 12 February, 2017, 12:06:31 am »
It was definitely 2011. I don't think anyone who met him would fail to know about it.