Author Topic: The Pennine Bridleway - Fully Loaded.  (Read 9724 times)

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
The Pennine Bridleway - Fully Loaded.
« on: 21 August, 2015, 06:34:23 pm »
Fully loaded?  Well, we wouldn't want it easy would we?

This expedition began in the mind of my good friend Mr Bond as a next step up from the cross country rides he has done twice from Horley (Surrey) to Sherborne (Dorset).  Those rides had each been to attend the Adventure Travel Film Festival.  I accompanied Mr Bond on the first trip and met him at the festival for the second starting from the Forest of Dean.  Each time we chose our routes to be as off road as possible.  Bridleways, byways, green lanes and drove roads linked by the minimum possible tarmac.

Looking for something bigger to do Mr Bond began planning a similar ride down the country before coming across the Pennine Bridleway.  This made route planning easy-ish and so that was settled.  I got invited along and as is the way of these things when in the pub I thought it sounded fun and a good idea :facepalm:  At the time I had only touched a bike once in 18 months.  A frantic spring and summer of pedalling my way back to something approaching fitness ensued while we worked on our plans.

Due to the difficultyimpossibility of booking bikes onto the train on the London/Brighton line Mr Bond decided he'd ride into London and get the train from there to Penrith.  It's always difficult on that line but this was the day of Ride London so forget it.  I booked a through ticket from Lydney but always planned, all being well, to ride to Cheltenham where my first change would be.   Broadly speaking we ended up with 1 day to get there, 5 days to ride the bridleway and a 7th day slack which we'd use to pootle down to Derby if everything has gone well, sit one day out if the weather was against us or to finish if the journey didn't go to plan.  Go on, take a guess which it turned out to be.

Day 1 - Sunday 02 August 2015 - Home to Dufton
The day began at 06:38 for Mr Bond departing Horley and heading north into London to get on a train.  A special commendation to Mrs Bond for getting up at that hour on her birthday and allowing Mr Bond leave:

Much fun was had and it sounds like a ride I'd have thoroughly enjoyed.  His route headed North then East over the M23 which somehow the mist has managed to make strangely ethereal:

Onward to the NCN21 and eventually the river and the city came into sight at the Cutty Sark:

Down the rickety lifts to the Greenwich Foot tunnel and then through docklands:

At the Tower of London:

And eventually to Euston.  Mr Bond commented on how great it was to ride through town on a Sunday helped in no small measure by the number of occasions he came upon which the way ahead was 'No Entry - except cycles' or 'No right turn - except cycles'.

Meanwhile, on the other side of the country the day began for me at 08:00 with the sun raising a mist over the valley:

I had a pleasant ride through the forest via the Parkend, Cinderford, Mitcheldean and Flaxley (pasty break) mostly off road.  Then on road through Tibberton & Hartpury and another pasty break at the Ashleworth Ham hides:

Over the river and onto a handy looking bridleway I'd spotted through Coombe Hill Nature Reserve.  Big mistake, it was one of those lovely destroyed-by-horses slogs.  2.3 miles of blue language as my slack time to make the train evaporated.  It was pleasant to look at if not to ride:

At one point there are two paths on opposite sides of a drainage channel, I could hear a family the other side commenting on the mess the horses left it for everyone else which raised a grin.

Once back on road I just had an unwelcome head wind to contend with on the run down to Cheltenham Spa station.

For us both the train trips up to Penrith were entirely what experienced travellers of our fine rail network would expect.  Luggage piled in the bike spaces, buffet closed with no announcement, noone on the platform at B'ham New Street to open the cycle storage for me, my train 'captain' AWOL approaching Penrith.  Top marks go to Virgin though for trying to steal Mr Bonds bike.  Having found his train captain Mr Bond was assured that a message had been radioed ahead to ensure someone would be waiting to open the cycle storage.  Of course no such bod appeared and the guard had his ping pong bat in the air and hand on the buzzer to tell the driver to proceed when he spotted Mr Bond frantically running down the platform waving his arms like a loon.  'Phew, that was close' commented the guard.  On my train the driver had realised the quality of the rest of his crew and was checking for nervous cyclists outside his door at each stop.  Probably against unpteen regulations on account of being effective.

Mr Bond's excitement was taking place as I was still hurtling North wondering what the hell I'd let myself in for.  My change at New Street wasn't hugely far South of our destination in Derby.  The journey from there up to Penrith went on and on and on with me thinking about cycling the whole way back again over extreme unflatness. Bit late to be worrying I guess.

Once in Penrith we just needed a quick stop for milk and then a fairly frantic pedal out to Dufton knowing we had little time to spare to get food at the Stag,  the only pub in town.  Imagine our delight upon arriving with 15 mins to spare before the 20:00 cutoff stated on their web site only to be told the kitchen was already shut  >:(

We headed on to the excellent Dufton Caravan Park and pitched up.  Our saviour was the campsite owner whose offer to run us down to Appleby to a take away was gratefully accepted.

The routes:
https://www.strava.com/activities/374163538
https://www.strava.com/activities/374161181
https://www.strava.com/activities/374161147

[Updated with info from Mrs Bond about Ride London, the significance of the day and departure photos]
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

Re: The Pennine Bridleway - Fully Loaded.
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:12:32 pm »
Great start ... eagerly anticipating the actual ride!

« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:53:25 pm »
a 7th day slack which we'd use to pootle down to Derby if everything has gone well, sit one day out if the weather was against us or to finish if the journey didn't go to plan.  Go on, take a guess which it turned out to be.

*on tenterhooks*

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2015, 10:10:58 pm »
Lovely photos.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

SoreTween

« Reply #4 on: 22 August, 2015, 02:32:42 pm »
Day 2 - Dufton to Austwick Horton In Ribblesdale
This day we always knew would be a killer.  At 52 miles on the plan it would be the longest in distance though not in meters climbed.

We began at 08:37, a little later than planned, with a run down to Appleby and then to Kirkby Stephen.  A darned good fill of the tanks in the Mulberry Bush cafe and then Pasty up at the co-op as the way ahead was very remote and we were unlikely to make the only food possibility.  As soon as we left the village the climbing began.  We never had any intention at all of doing the first 4 miles over Long Gill which would have been 275 meters of climb just for the completeness.  Instead we headed up the B6259 past the wonderfully named Pendragon Castle:

Mr Bond took the mini mars bar from the lunch box someone had left on the wall here but passed on the somewhat furry peach.

At 1PM we arrived at our first Pennine Bridleway way marker:

So began the first of 4 big climbs for the planned day.  To begin with the going was good:

Quickly it steepened and became very loose so we settled into a routine - pedal until it got too steep/loose/both then get off & shove.  The advantage of slopes so steep is you very quickly find yourself looking way down on the way you've come, this was literally just a few minutes from the road and before the shoving began:

Once the climbing was over the climbing began.  Y'see, all the routeplanners in the worldt'internet rely on contour counting their source map.  So on the big climbs the gradient profile is accurate but when you're running on the alleged flat, rising and falling between the contours the meters really add up in a somewhat unexpected manner.  Also fun on this stretch were some sections of mountain goat country.  The path in places was a foot wide stapled to the side of a precipitous drop and loose under wheel for added funness.

Hell Gill turned out to be this:

A bogging great crevasse with a stream at the bottom.  A couple more miles of undulations and then a rapid descent for out first big grins of the trip.  Fun, but after the long slog up and undulations that followed the descent was a bit blink-and-you'll-miss-it.  Here's the scene that awaited us at the foot:

This is why I'm here :D

After refreshment in the Moorcock Inn a short off road section took us to Garsdale station and a sight to make the heart sink.  There be chevrons here :-(  We climbed, or rather shoved, from 330m up to 530 at a gradient sometimes well over 20%.  Several vehicles passed us in each direction and without exception they all stank of burning clutch, complaining brakes or plain old extreme heat.  I'm not sure where in the climb it was I reminded Mr Bond of his reply when I'd expressed concern about a 52 mile day, he'd said 'Don't worry, it's only 4 climbs and the second is on road so that'll be easy.'   He won't be allowed to forget those words for as long as I breathe.

Of road again and it's getting late, we clearly are not going to make it to Austwick so we settle on our plan B destination - Horton-In-Ribblesdale instead.  After a pleasant horizontal-ish run with the contours of Great Knoutbury Hill and Wold fell we dropped to and crossed the B6255 and for a change start climbing.  Only 150m this time and a fair bit rideable.  From the top of Kidhow Pike the descent was very much value for money, technical in places and not at all over in a blink.  This, I think, is Cam Beck just upstream of Ling Gill Nature Preserve:

A short run from here down to Holme Farm campsite.  Nice, shower block a bit basic but the showers themselves excellent and there are more facilities being built now.  This just left a stroll to the Golden Lion for a fine belly full.

By diverting to Horton the route was 46.5 miles and the cycle.travel planner shows it to be 1100m of climbing.  In fact we climbed 1389.  This error of about 25% on the climbing proved to be consistent the rest of the trip.  This is not the fault of cycle.travel, its simply due to the undulations that don't show up.

The planned route:
http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14011
The route taken:
https://www.strava.com/activities/374161189

ETA
I neglected to mention the weather - strong winds from the south all day (I.E. direct head wind) and showers.  Nothing heavy, we were drying as fast as getting wet.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #5 on: 22 August, 2015, 03:30:11 pm »
I'm still loving three things about this: the photos, the way a ride in the Pennines begins in the Forest of Dean, and that you have a friend ('friend'?) called Mr Bond. I'm wondering if he uses the pseudonym Gruber.

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #6 on: 22 August, 2015, 10:28:06 pm »
Loving this!
Milk please, no sugar.

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #7 on: 22 August, 2015, 10:36:02 pm »
Lovely photos :thumbsup:
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

SoreTween

« Reply #8 on: 23 August, 2015, 03:39:27 pm »
Day 3 - Horton In Ribblesdale to Barnoldswick

The plan had been for this to be an easy day, just 30 miles and an early finish for some gear administration.  This was falling apart apart in 3 ways:

1) We hadn't yet made our start point for the day.
2) I was cream crackered.  I'd struggled up the last climb on day 2 and been pretty useless when we arrived at the camp site leaving Mr Bond to sort things out with the owner.
3) The weather forecast was foul from about 09:00 through 14:00.

We also had a couple of minor mechanicals that would need dealing with.  Mr Bond runs cable operated disk brakes on his bike, he'd been caught out by how frequently these needed adjusting on day 2.  The pads were not far worn when we started but it was already clear the 40 clicks of the adjuster for a full set would not last the trip.  On my bike the lower bottle cage had cracked:

I reinforced it with some large cable ties I was carrying.

The sensible thing would be to nip down from Horton to Settle, sit the worst of the weather out in a cafe and then finish as planned.  I decided to be sensible.  Mr Bond wasn't having anything to do with that 'sensible' word so as we packed up we agreed to meet up later. Mr Bond particularly wanted to do the next stretch as it passed Ingleborough cave.  Then the voices in my head started up and it quickly became a meet up in Austwick instead of Settle.  My resolve to the 's' word crumbled further when Mr Bond mentioned that there was a small cafe at the cave, not much but a tea would likely be found. So literally as we swung our legs over the bikes 'ah f##k it, I'm only here once, I'm coming too.

So we pedalled North back 4km to where we'd left the Bridleway the previous night, resumed on some great early trails and soon we came upon this:

Mr Bond commented how sometimes the man made things truly complement a scene rather than despoiling it.

And here is Mr Bond wrapped up against the weather astride his bike which by now had been dubbed The Good Lady Fatarse:

After crossing the B6479 yesterdays 4th climb began initially on tarmac, then gravel, boulders and lastly just grass except for a few patches of exposed bedrock.  It was raining by now which made the going slippery.  At the top we came upon views of a vast natural limestone amphitheatre:

This is the view back down the way we'd come:

You can see that clearly defined trail can't you?

We put the cameras away as the rain became very heavy and fought our way across the top of the hills into the wind, gusts were practically stopping us in our tracks.  On the descent the heavy rain had transformed the going from slippery to trecherous.  We did see Ingleborough cave, from a viewpoint on the wrong side of the valley so no tea stop yet.  It really was very technical indeed getting down here safely in the pouring rain.  We passed our first cyclist near sighting the cave, just one going the opposite way on a hardtail & sensibly no load.
Lower down where the tracks are closer to farms they improved to this sort of thing:

As we rode into Austwick we saw a number of tandems with visually impaired stokers going the opposite way.  We asked in the post office/shop if there were any cafés near by and were given directions to a couple of options.  And the tandems came past again going the other way, back the way they'd come.  A bit of faffing and map folding while we decided what to do and here come the tandems again.  This time the postmaster flagged them down and guessing the coast to coast route they were on set them on the right road.  Same way as us it turned out.

The climb out of Austwick was hard, I wasn't surprised we didn't catch the tandems but it occurred to me the lone singleton in the group must be one hard bugger!  We skipped a short section of Bridleway as we needed to make up time.  The higher we climbed the harder the rain.  Mr Bond was dropping behind me which was unusual, he was out of fuel and struggling.  Relief came at the Knight's Table café.  We were utterly wet through.  I cannot praise or complement the staff at the Knight's Table highly enough.  From the moment we stood dripping in the doorway we were made to feel entirely welcome, the cheery "Morning!  You'll note I didn't say good!" from the chap on reception set the tone.  We were unsure about entering in our state but were assured it would be fine, the floor could be mopped.  It's also worth noting that the Knight's Table is huge, we sat dripping and no doubt stinking in a corner away from the other clientèle.

So, a pot of tea while the menu was read, hot food and another pot of tea while we contemplated the maps.  We could see across the Stainforth valley from the café:

We decided to skip the climb up the far side and instead head on road, NCN68, to Settle.  After Settle we'd resume the Bridleway as the road alternative was crap.  This sorted it was time for cake and one more pot of tea.  We settled up our bill adding a lump of flapjack each to our bags.   Our 2 restful hours ended and we were on our way in light rain. In Settle Mr Bond spied a bike shop hiding behind the market stalls so we stopped for brake pads and the strongest looking bottle carrier they had.

Looking back to Settle:

Some undulations across the top of the hill and then a whiz down to Long Preston where there's a gap in the Bridleway route, it's not hard to pick it up again.  At High Scale farm you get diverted off across a field:

This at first sight seemed to be some kind of access agreement thing aimed at keeping the hoi polloi away from the farm buildings yet at the end of this field you pass right by the rear of the farm buildings.  There is an extremely noticeable lack of way markers here which we found most odd.  You cross the field beyond the trees Mr Bond is heading for yet due to the hill you cannot see the far side so have no idea where to head for.  We had no choice but to go to the high ground, pick a gate and hope.  Thanks to Mr Bond's Garmin with full OS maps onboard we chose the correct gate.  Were it my farm I'd mow a strip or allow, as other farms have, the National Trails organisation to put way marker posts across the field.  It was worse at Low Scale farm, here there was little doubt markers had been removed both for the bridleway and for the Ribble Way footpath.  Reported to North Yorkshire council and National Trails.

At the Ribble we paused to weigh up options as we still needed to make up some time:

The trail continued next to the river or we could take a road route, we opted for the river.  This wasn't any fun at all, there we no views of the river and we were soon slogging across grass farm fields again.  There's nothing pennines-ish about that kind of bridleway, we could just as well have been in Surrey or Sussex.  As soon as we could we joined the A682 (nasty) and got through Gisburn.

Immediately the climbing resumed but we both welcomed it.  The road was quiet and easy to begin though ever narrowing.  We had to smile at the gent in a 4x4 resolutely conforming to the Yorkshire sterotype - flat cap, miserable expression and not so much as a wave of thanks as we pressed ourselves into the hedges to allow him past (up to that point every driver we'd taken to the verges for had waved thanks).  Once the road could narrow no more it became this:

That's about a 27% slope if memory serves.   

Near the top we saw the sun for the first time that day, it lasted nearly two minutes in which Mr Bond managed to get this which captures the brooding black cloud cover contrasted with the moment of sunshine pretty darned well:

We were glad to have spent our time hauling ourselves up to this rather than slogging the flat lands around Gisburn, we hadn't time for both.  Here's a couple more from the same spot:

Good trails across the top of the hills before the drop towards Barnoldswick arrived:

As we started down from the summit we were passed by a cyclocross rider moving across the ground far faster than us and were then overtaken by a couple on matching His 'n' Hers MTBs.  This was a nice long descent to Barnoldswick where we joined the Leeds and Liverpool canal heading towards our overnight stop. 

The first bad news was when we passed the pub we planned to eat at, the Anchor Inn at Salterforth.  It had a distinctly closed look about it and closer inspection confirmed it was shut on Mondays & Tuesdays.  Bugger.  On to the camp site at Lower Greenhill where ukcampsite.co.uk promised we'd find a full suite of facilities.  Instead we found nobody home.  There were caravans here but no reception, and no clues.  The only noticeboard was used for a vast array of No This, No That and certainly No Enjoying Yourself signs.  Eventually someone turned up and told us they don't take tents any more.  Problem.  We were given directions to another site so we pedalled up hill again back the way we'd come the 0.75 miles we were told would take us to 'a mini roundabout the far side of town'.  No roundabout and nor were we near reaching town yet - typical drivers distance estimation not malice.  We carried on into town and stopped at the Police Station (closed) and Tourist Information (no accommodation info at all posted in the windows).  We'd figured out by now that the site we'd been directed to was one we'd both seen in our planning and were sure was not a good option.  A check online confirmed that Thornton Hall farm is more a kids amusement type of place.  They take camping but have few facilities including no showers.

Mr Bond was struggling again - 'I'm shot, you'll have to do the thinking'.  Instead the phone and lastminute.com (iirc) did the thinking and a quick call to The Old Stone Trough secured a twin room at a bargain price.  Another volte face, downhill, past the non-campsite and on to the very welcoming hotel.  For the second time in the day we were made to feel entirely welcome and were even allowed to lock our bikes in the cellar.  Shower, beer, food.

The route planned:
http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14012
The route taken:
https://www.strava.com/activities/374938195

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 23 August, 2015, 04:21:26 pm »
As we rode into Austwick we saw a number of tandems with visually impaired stokers going the opposite way.  We asked in the post office/shop if there were any cafés near by and were given directions to a couple of options.  And the tandems came past again going the other way, back the way they'd come.  A bit of faffing and map folding while we decided what to do and here come the tandems again.  This time the postmaster flagged them down and guessing the coast to coast route they were on set them on the right road.  Same way as us it turned out.

Quite possibly this lot:

http://www.goalballuk.com/coast-to-coast-day-1/  Featuring barakta's former colleague, and our former TSO.

SoreTween

« Reply #10 on: 23 August, 2015, 05:18:10 pm »
Spot on Kim.  Nice tandem and top fettling :thumbsup:

barakta

• Bastard lovechild of Yomiko Readman and Johnny 5
« Reply #11 on: 23 August, 2015, 06:05:02 pm »
Sarah's written a blog about her experience at https://whoturnedthelightsout.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/18/

There is a video+"interesting" effects of the pics done by Sarah's girlfriend. 

Very proud of Sarah and friends for what they managed to achieve!

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #12 on: 23 August, 2015, 06:12:12 pm »
That bridge (and the horrible rocky track) looks familiar. I think we ate lunch next to the bridge on the RSF ride during the forum Clapham bunkbarn weekend.
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #13 on: 23 August, 2015, 06:16:52 pm »
I remember that climb up from Austwick Clapham only too well
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

SoreTween

« Reply #14 on: 23 August, 2015, 08:32:13 pm »
That bridge (and the horrible rocky track) looks familiar.
Simeon has been that way too it appears.  photo-fu waaay out of my league:

SoreTween

« Reply #15 on: 23 August, 2015, 09:03:11 pm »
Sarah's written a blog about her experience at https://whoturnedthelightsout.wordpress.com/2015/08/21/18/

There is a video+"interesting" effects of the pics done by Sarah's girlfriend. 
Excellent, that's definitely the group we saw, how cool!  I like the vid too.  You can tell the morning of day two, they're all suddenly much better wrapped.
Quote from: barakta
Very proud of Sarah and friends for what they managed to achieve!
Be assured, they didn't just manage.  We left Austwick not far behind them and didn't see 'em for dust (like dust was gonna happen that day!)  One of the vans stopped barely halfway up the valley presumably to deal with a mechanical and we just caught the van before it moved on.  That's a lot of time gained in a short distance = fit people. 

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #16 on: 24 August, 2015, 02:17:53 pm »
I do like dry stone walls.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #17 on: 26 August, 2015, 11:51:27 am »
I loved reading this adventure - thank you.

« Reply #18 on: 26 August, 2015, 12:02:31 pm »
Yes this was a great write-up of a good adventure, thanks.  :thumbsup:

ps if you or anybody is contemplating the pennine cycleway next year please let me know.

John

woollypigs

• Mr Peli
    • woollypigs
« Reply #19 on: 26 August, 2015, 12:24:09 pm »
OK body, you got a year to get meneded, do you hear me body! Because I want to do this.
Current mood: AARRRGGGGHHHHH !!! #bollockstobrexit

« Reply #20 on: 26 August, 2015, 08:58:31 pm »
OK body, you got a year to get meneded, do you hear me body! Because I want to do this.

Well monsieur woollypigs please count me in on your expedition, looking forward to more details. :)

SoreTween

« Reply #21 on: 22 September, 2015, 07:00:46 pm »
Day 4 - Barnoldswick to Newhey

This day would be shorter in miles than day 2 but had the highest climbing total.  Therefore we had concluded over the our meal last night we needed some shortcuts, these were planned to take out some of the gratuitous climbing sections.

The day began with a fine breakfast, and less faffing than usual.  Far from no faffing unfortunately, the room looked like tornado had been through with gear we were trying to dry out everywhere.  Mr Bond's socks hanging over the corners of the wall mirror were particilarly fetching, Lawrence Llewelyn-Bowen take note.  A few moments were spent fitting the new bottle carrier to my bike, I daren't fill the bottle as was.

Next, provisions from the co-op / petrol station and then away.  In a matter of half a mile we were climbing again, it was not a gentle start to the day.  The terrain varied and peaked in silliness with about 150 meters up a grass slope edging 30%, traction on foot was hard enough.  Shove, brakes on, step step, repeat. 230m climb in 2 miles led to this view back towards Barnoldswick:

A few more undulations led to the first navigational challange of the day.  We were faced with a downhill run through a field into a choice of 3 more fields below.  With no clear path we chose to follow the direction the Pennine Bridleway sign pointed (red below).  This put us in the North most of the 3 lower fields and was the wrong way.  The Ferndean Way footpath could have been our saviour had the gateway not been barricaded with a hefty pile of stones.  We pushed our way South on the wrong side of a dry stone wall from the footpath cursing as we squelshed in the mud another unknown farmer for allowing no wayposts on his land.  We came upon a section of partially collaped stone wall with a 5' drop the far side to the path and so had a choice; risk climbing over that or climb 50m back uphill and try again to spot the correct way.  Bags off, pass the bikes, bags on.  Note for future followers, you need to head in the blue direction from here

On the Ferndean Way a short walk brought us to the point it becomes bridleway and then to Wycoller Priory which is a fantastically picturesque place.  Heres Mr Bond stepping out....

To take this:

And this of some goon with the priory behind:

From here the Pennine Bridleway joins the Bronte Way which I regret we uttery failed to adequately photograph.  The going was far from easy.  Gritstone flags on some sections which may have been flat once upon a time but now were like dutch cobbles would be to a cycle riding mouse. 

At the top of another climb we failed our second navigational test of the day and after rolling too far downhill found ourselves in a farm yard peering at the map again tring to work out where we'd gone wrong.  We couldn't figure it out and were just departing back the way we'd come with the intention of backtracking to the last sign we could recall when there was a 'cooeee!' from the lady of the house above.  Cheerfully we were told 'go back to our cattle grid, turn left through our field and once you're through the gate at the bottom you'll be back on route'.  Bless her soul for directing us over her land and saving us half a mile of backtracking up hill.  Mind you, it must be easy to stay cheerful when your farm overlooks this view:

Worn flags weren't the only challenging surface:

I regret we got so few pictures through that section, it was stunning.

Back on road we reached the first of our route changes at Thursden, we stayed on road instead of looping over Extwistle Moor & Black Moor.  It was on road but far from a soft option.  Not far in we stopped to draw breath and looking back we were doowwwn there not long ago:

Ahead we still need to climb up there:

It's raining again so pause at the top to put jackets on.  A cold run down past Widdop Reservoir then onto a service road (with a comedy tankcycle trap in the gateway) to Lower Gorple Reservoir.

Lunch was taken at the New Delight Inn who were most accomodating to two smelly & wet bikers rolling up not far short of closing.  Refreshed we had one small hill to get over before we found ourselves looking down into the River Calder/Rochdale Canal valley just outside Hebden Bridge.  Signage was a bit scant and we ended up taking the wrong way down to the valley floor, no matter. The bits of Hebden we saw lived entirely down to the expectation I had based upon the description in Stuart Maconie's Pies & Prejudice.  Once away from the A646 the canal was the visual treat they always are. 

You wouldn't know this is a few hundred yards from derelict buildings and a sewerage works.

Here we took another shortcut by following the canal.  We had chosen our exit from the canal carefully to cut out the minimum we could, we used the canal for about 3km until the road up to Lumbutts.  This road was chosen as it has the minimum chevrons of the options to get back on route.  All bridges on canals have a walk in / walk out path, right?  Wrong:

Damn steep stairs they were too, both of Mr Bond's heels are in fresh air.  Even so we'd made the right choice, the climb up to Lumbutts was easy.  Back on the bridleway here's another section of the gritsone flags first seen on the Bronte Way.

Here's a typical Pennine Bridleway scene, a) shoving again and b) me playing catchup.  Again.

Stoodly Pike Monument in the background.
We climbed all the way up to get another great view:

Then rolled all the way back down to the canal again.  From here the bridleway takes another climb out of the valley, follows parallel for a while and then drops to cross it for a third time at Summit.  We declined that climb and used the towpath mainly due to the late hour and partly due to it raining again.  Past Summit we continued on the towpath to Littleborough and Hollingworth Lake where there was an optional overnight site, neither of us fancied it as it is almost under an M42 viaduct.

Next, on route again we climbed Nicholas Pike.  At the top of this we met a group of MTB riders out for the evening who helped us sort our options to get us to our camp site for the night.  There's a long boring way round or a very steep, exceeding technical descent that's more of a rock garden / river bed than a path and probably not wise with our load.  We took the latter and it was a grin but could have easily gone very wrong.

We pitched up at Piethorne Valley who let us in despite a) being at A&E at the time and b) the site being block booked to a large troupe of young dancers & entourage.  They were a lively lot aged from about 4 up and were bouncing around like bouncy things in the rain while we pitched.  They warned that they'd be very noisy all night and we'd not get any sleep.  To which we replied, want a bet? 

We ate copiously at The Bulls Head and slept like dead things.

Route planned: http://cycle.travel/map/journey/14122
Route taken: https://www.strava.com/activities/375826907

« Reply #22 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:22:12 pm »
That's a lovely report, Julian.  I live near Newhey, and it's good to see that the Piethorne site is finally open (the pods have been there for about three years).  I know a lot of the route, especially the canal banks and the road out of Thursden Clough, which is used on several of the local audaxes.  You did well to get up there loaded up!

Thaks again.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 22 September, 2015, 09:28:18 pm »
Those two little bridges are gorgeous! The gritstone flags look nice too, but I'm not sure I'd want to ride on them.

« Reply #24 on: 22 September, 2015, 10:56:07 pm »
Ah, my old stomping ground. I grew up in Winewall, very close to beautiful Wycoller, and spent much of my youth riding horses and bikes (not at the same time) around the local bridleways. My Auntie Madge is scattered near the Clam Bridge in Wycoller.