Author Topic: YACF portrait workshop at my studio - 29th November 2015  (Read 9022 times)

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
YACF portrait workshop at my studio - 29th November 2015
« on: 04 November, 2015, 11:41:06 pm »
Speaking with Clarion last week, we mooted the possibility of my running a YACF beginners portrait workshop at some point.   I've got a little rented studio in Perivale near where we live and I could probably manage to work with a group of 4-6 people to show some basic techniques, a bit of off-camera lighting and so on.

Not looking to charge for this, just for fun.  Anyone interested?

[EDIT]

It's definitely on the 29th November.  People confirmed as coming:

Andrij
Gerald
Jaded
Wombat
Clarion
Zipperhead
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: YACF portrait workshop at my studio
« Reply #1 on: 05 November, 2015, 08:57:18 am »
Yes.

Your last two Instagram ones particularly impressed me, and I just thought, that Charlotte has got "it", whatever "it" is...  Not about equipment, although the right equipment is obviously necessary. 

For me, my weak points are about managing lighting, usually off camera "normal" flashguns, and actually posing and interacting with the model, which in my case is usually just a friend who happens to strike a pose I like, inspiring me to photograph it.  There are several people I know that I'd like to take portrraits of because they are interesting, but I need a bit more confidence to carry it off.

My normal equipment is a Sony A77 (APS-C) and a couple of Metz flashguns including a dear old 45CLI, but I rarely use the flash because I'm not good with them.

Locatino is achievable, although I don't actually know where Perivale is.  Timing, well I can always take a day off work, but I don't work Fridays anyway.
Wombat

« Reply #2 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:47:09 am »
Interested!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #3 on: 05 November, 2015, 04:53:46 pm »
Still interested! :)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: 05 November, 2015, 09:56:56 pm »
Your last two Instagram ones particularly impressed me, and I just thought, that Charlotte has got "it", whatever "it" is... 

Persistence and luck, generally :D

Timing, well I can always take a day off work, but I don't work Fridays anyway.

Fridays would probably be good for me as Iris is in Nursery, but I think a weekend might suit Clarion and Gerald better.  What say you guys?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #5 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:03:32 pm »
Interested.  Weekends if possible, please.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #6 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:03:55 pm »
Weekend please, or weekday evening?

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #7 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:33:49 pm »
I'm shit at portraits. If the date suited I could come and be shit.   :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #8 on: 05 November, 2015, 10:51:08 pm »
Sounds interesting, depending on date. I'm slightly worse than Jaded. Weekday evenings can be tricky, but maybe Fridays.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: 05 November, 2015, 11:48:07 pm »
Sounds like we have enough people to make a go of it.  I'm going to pitch a date and see what happens.

Sunday 29th November.  Kick off at a civilised 11am, finishing up by 5pm?

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
« Reply #10 on: 06 November, 2015, 08:14:14 am »
Sounds reasonable.  Plus it gives me incentive to get home at a sensible time the night before.  O:-)

I'm in.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #11 on: 06 November, 2015, 10:05:44 am »
29th is good for me

« Reply #12 on: 06 November, 2015, 10:33:32 am »
i think I'm away that weekend :(  if plans change and I can make it, I'd love to join in the fun.  Will keep you posted, Charlotte.

« Reply #13 on: 06 November, 2015, 10:44:16 am »
Sorry to derail, but while portraits would be fun it's not something I find myself doing very often but if someone could what I'd really like is some help getting my brain around using the manual mode on my cameras I'm hopeless and I'm sure some sort of group session would sort this out once and for all. I'm sure there must be a handful of us on the forum in a similar position.

Just a suggestion, pretty please?

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

« Reply #14 on: 06 November, 2015, 11:08:10 am »
Sorry to derail, but while portraits would be fun it's not something I find myself doing very often but if someone could what I'd really like is some help getting my brain around using the manual mode on my cameras I'm hopeless and I'm sure some sort of group session would sort this out once and for all. I'm sure there must be a handful of us on the forum in a similar position.

D.

A skillshare perhaps?

« Reply #15 on: 06 November, 2015, 11:25:29 am »
Knowing (?) your lighting setup uses a lot of flash I'd be fascinated to see how that works, I've only ever used lightboxen. Not sure I can make it over, even if I can, if there are too many I'll drop.

benborp

• benbravoorpapa
« Reply #16 on: 06 November, 2015, 02:43:43 pm »
I'm not sure if this is useful but I have three Bowens 500 heads, two soft boxes and some reflectors sitting unused in a storage unit in south London. I'd be happy for them to be used for the greater good while they are out of my reach. Depending on available space and how much equipment you already have available it might make more time available for shooting.
A world of bedlam trapped inside a small cyclist.

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #17 on: 06 November, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »
Would love to but can't make it.

Maybe Session #2 in 2016???

Love the portraits in your portfolio (linked via your footer) Charlotte.

At some point I'll grab a really cheap umbrella/Soft-box setup from Ebay, plus another Yongnuo & Trigger.  Just so I can grab some "proper" shots of friends and family over Christmas.

My conservatory has great light (if uncontrollable) so maybe I could even get away with a backdrop.

That would be a great topic for me (and other I bet) "Making the most of natural light for portraits"
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #18 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:05:54 pm »
Sounds like we have enough people to make a go of it.  I'm going to pitch a date and see what happens.

Sunday 29th November.  Kick off at a civilised 11am, finishing up by 5pm?

In the diary.  Important Qs:

1. Is there a cafe nearby?
2. Can The Little Duck come & play with your bairn?
3. Tea-making facilities at the studio?

Slightly more seriously (more serious than tea?!), following up on Lee's point, is there natural light at the studio?  Or a chance to go outside, perhaps (maybe save that for a warmer day)?  And would there be a chance (depends on numbers, I suppose) to have a go with our own basic gear to see how to make the best use of a simple set up?
Getting there...

« Reply #19 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:30:10 pm »
Would love to but can't make it.

Maybe Session #2 in 2016???

See Long Itch 2016, September skillshare.   See you there, perhaps?   

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #20 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:40:54 pm »
Is there space for me to come along? I could stop off at the cake shop on the way*

* (with a view to bringing some, not eating them all**)

**((I'm not sure quite how well they would travel though***))

***(((still, if it looks like they are not good travellers, I could put them out of my misery)))
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #21 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:43:10 pm »

D.

Well that's easy.

I use manual all the time, as I started off with a 5x4 Sinar and a spot meter.

I'd be happy to help and answer Q's, if you wish.

I'll start a thread.

« Reply #22 on: 06 November, 2015, 03:49:57 pm »

D.

Well that's easy.

I use manual all the time, as I started off with a 5x4 Sinar and a spot meter.

I'd be happy to help and answer Q's, if you wish.

I'll start a thread.

That's cool I'd probably find it easier in a workshop type thing to begin with because I just don't know where to start really, I'll have another play this weekend and try and work out what I want to ask.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Aunt Maud

• Le Flâneur.
« Reply #23 on: 06 November, 2015, 05:05:47 pm »

That's cool I'd probably find it easier in a workshop type thing to begin with because I just don't know where to start really, I'll have another play this weekend and try and work out what I want to ask.

D.

https://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=94115.0

Otto

• Biking Bad
« Reply #24 on: 06 November, 2015, 05:11:35 pm »
I'd be up for this if I can get a pass out from the Mrs