Author Topic: YACF portrait workshop at my studio - 29th November 2015  (Read 9011 times)

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
Re: YACF portrait workshop at my studio
« Reply #25 on: 06 November, 2015, 05:53:50 pm »
I might be up for this.  Just need to check with SO.  Or she could come too, to meet you weirdos.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

IanN

• Voon
« Reply #26 on: 06 November, 2015, 06:39:25 pm »
Sorry to derail, but while portraits would be fun it's not something I find myself doing very often but if someone could what I'd really like is some help getting my brain around using the manual mode on my cameras I'm hopeless and I'm sure some sort of group session would sort this out once and for all. I'm sure there must be a handful of us on the forum in a similar position.

Just a suggestion, pretty please?

D.
IIRC you're from somewhere not that far from Bristol. Happy to help if you're stuck but I'm busy for a few weekends from now.
Ian

« Reply #27 on: 06 November, 2015, 06:58:32 pm »
I might be up for this.  Just need to check with SO.  Or she could come too, to meet you weirdos.

SO is scarily normal.   I guess that she knows how weird cyclists are though Roger, being hooked up with your good self...    :D

« Reply #28 on: 06 November, 2015, 09:36:32 pm »
Sounds like we have enough people to make a go of it.  I'm going to pitch a date and see what happens.

Sunday 29th November.  Kick off at a civilised 11am, finishing up by 5pm?
I can't do a Sunday either, but I wouldn't change for me, or you'll still be looking for dates by 2017. Have fun and I'll watch for the photos!

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #29 on: 06 November, 2015, 11:52:03 pm »
I've got a pass out so it is in my diary. Subject to last minute issues, but should be there  :thumbsup:
It is simpler than it looks.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 08 November, 2015, 03:05:32 pm »
Okay so as I mentioned upthread, I've got room for 4-6 people.  My studio isn't big (it's a fine artist's studio rather than a photographer's studio) and with me, gear and a model, there's not as much spare room as you might imagine.  So don't bring kit other than a camera and a midrange lens.  If you shoot Nikon, then just bring a body and you can use one of my bits of big glass (135mm f/2 DC or 85mm f/1.4).

So if you're definitely in for the 29th, it's first come first served and I'll add names of people who've confirmed the first post.  So far we have three, which means that there are three places left.  If we fill all six, we'll be quite crammed in.

Is there space for me to come along? I could stop off at the cake shop on the way*

Totally.  Cake more than welcome!

For those who can't make it, if there's demand, I'll do another in 2016.  Also, we need another YACF Photoday, no?

I'm not sure if this is useful but I have three Bowens 500 heads, two soft boxes and some reflectors sitting unused in a storage unit in south London. I'd be happy for them to be used for the greater good while they are out of my reach. Depending on available space and how much equipment you already have available it might make more time available for shooting.

That's very kind Ben, but I have plenty enough gear and we just don't have room to run two simultaneous shoots  :)
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #31 on: 09 November, 2015, 12:16:19 am »
Would love to but can't make it.

Maybe Session #2 in 2016???

See Long Itch 2016, September skillshare.   See you there, perhaps?

Hmmm.. just seen the post.

I have Air Rifles as well.
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
Re: YACF portrait workshop at my studio - 29th November 2015
« Reply #32 on: 09 November, 2015, 08:42:02 am »
Count me in, please, Charlotte.  Obviously I'll need some details of where, before the date!  I'll almost certainly be coming by train (as I've got an old wrinklies railcard...)  With Sony A77 and Sigma 17-70 2.8.  It does have a traditional PC socket amongst its assorted connections.
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #33 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:39:03 am »
Also, we need another YACF Photoday, no?

Also, yes.

Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #34 on: 09 November, 2015, 09:41:16 am »
I am minded to bring a couple of film cameras along...
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #35 on: 09 November, 2015, 12:21:22 pm »
Count me in, please, Charlotte.  Obviously I'll need some details of where, before the date!  I'll almost certainly be coming by train (as I've got an old wrinklies railcard...)  With Sony A77 and Sigma 17-70 2.8.  It does have a traditional PC socket amongst its assorted connections.

You're in.  PC connection is all you need.  In fact, you don't even need that as we can always slave off whatever flash you do have if it can be turned down and angled away from the model...

I am minded to bring a couple of film cameras along...

Does that mean you're coming?  Hurry up and say so as there are only two places left!

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #36 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:02:57 pm »
Yes indeeeeeeedy! :)
Getting there...

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #37 on: 09 November, 2015, 01:04:43 pm »
Still interested! :)
Sounds like we have enough people to make a go of it.  I'm going to pitch a date and see what happens.

Sunday 29th November.  Kick off at a civilised 11am, finishing up by 5pm?

In the diary.  Important Qs:

1. Is there a cafe nearby?
2. Can The Little Duck come & play with your bairn?
3. Tea-making facilities at the studio?

Slightly more seriously (more serious than tea?!), following up on Lee's point, is there natural light at the studio?  Or a chance to go outside, perhaps (maybe save that for a warmer day)?  And would there be a chance (depends on numbers, I suppose) to have a go with our own basic gear to see how to make the best use of a simple set up?

Do pay attention, Charlotte! ;)
Getting there...

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #38 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:23:13 pm »
Do pay attention, Charlotte! ;)

Ooops  ::-)

1. There are two or three cafes within walking distance, although as it's on an industrial estate, I'm not sure about Sundays.  Worst case scenario, there's a Costa in Tesco Hoover, five minutes walk away.

2. If Julian's around (she was talking about using the day to go visiting), the Little Duck is very welcome to come and play.

3. Of course there are tea making facilities.  What kind of savage do you take me for?

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #39 on: 09 November, 2015, 02:36:22 pm »
:D
Getting there...

David Martin

• Thats Dr Oi You thankyouverymuch
« Reply #40 on: 10 November, 2015, 10:23:06 pm »
I really must loan you the 4x5" camera at some point. Love to do a Scottish field day where we each shoot a couple of sheets of B&W and then develop in a traditional manner.

Anyone up for a trip around the Angus Glens with a large and heavy antique (and the camera as well)?

..d
"By creating we think. By living we learn" - Patrick Geddes

Wombat

« Reply #41 on: 11 November, 2015, 08:25:03 am »
Now that sounds interesting...  I thought I'd managed to suppress my desire to take up 5x4 or 5x7, but https://intrepidcamera.co.uk started me thinking again.  I must re-look at my ebay search for a 90mm super angulon. 
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #42 on: 11 November, 2015, 01:16:59 pm »
*heart skips a beat*
Getting there...

Wombat

« Reply #43 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:04:43 am »
Are we still "on" for this, Auntie C?

If you could give a clue of exact location - (I can see roughly where it must be) and approx timings, that would be great if you are still available.

Best make sure my (camera) batteries are charged....

I can, of course email your commercial email for details rather than post publicly....
Wombat

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #44 on: 25 November, 2015, 02:39:30 pm »
We certainly are still on, Wombers.  Probably the best bet is for you all to email me on charlotte@charlottebarnes.co.uk and I'll send you directions to the SEEKRIT STOODIO.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #45 on: 25 November, 2015, 08:59:43 pm »
Thanks to everyone who's mailed me - I've just sent out some instructions.  For those who didn't mail, I copied you in on the email address you signed up to YACF on (well, there's got to be some perks to being admin).

We'll start at 11am at the studio.  I'll probably be there from about 1030 if you want to come a bit earlier and have a cuppa first.

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
« Reply #46 on: 27 November, 2015, 09:26:28 am »
Would anyone object if I booked a local model to come along after lunch?  No money's changing hands, it would be just a time-for-images arrangement (and I'll make sure that she gets some nice photos for her time) but you're more likely to go away with some photos that you really like if we're not shooting each other...

Wombat

« Reply #47 on: 27 November, 2015, 10:59:17 am »
Not a problem, Charlotte.

I'm sure we are all capable of shooting each other in a positive way, though... ;D

I'm beginning to understand what those who carried "the one ring" in Lord of the Rings felt like -  the inexorable pull of full frame has got its hold on me, but how long can I resist?  I think I need to take an older camera on my Sierra Leone trip, though, so maybe I can fend it off till March 2016.  APS-C will have to do for now.
Wombat

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #48 on: 27 November, 2015, 02:08:10 pm »
Still enjoying making the decision what camera(s) to bring :)
Getting there...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #49 on: 27 November, 2015, 06:23:31 pm »
I would love to do this but it's my mother's 70th birthday party (actually the weekend before her birthday, I hadn't forgotten the main event).  How annoying.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.