Author Topic: ACME Miscellany  (Read 524452 times)

Re: ACME Miscellany
« Reply #2425 on: 21 April, 2017, 06:41:32 am »
We need to think of your superhero name.

I don't think Shit Batman really cuts it.

Now there's a thought. Plenty of interesting ideas in this list ... http://www.superherodb.com/characters/

I either want to be Alfred Pennyworth or Captain Epic.

Not Wonder Women?

'Negasonic Teenage Warhead' is a brilliant name but not that fitting, so given OD's love of heading off the solid path, 'Swamp-thing' or 'Sandman' might be more apt? One of the special powers of the latter is 'density control'.

Eddington: 133 miles    Max square: 43x43

« Reply #2426 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:30:23 am »
Another trip to our spiritual home last night.

I joined the Witham Peloton at Spa for my first night out in a while.  Sadly, news of my presumably eagerly anticipated return can't  have reached everyone as there were only two other riders at Spa.  What was lacking in quantity was made up for in quality however with the Award Winner and Huggy both awheel.  Huggy must have a secret Strava account where he records his other rides because, in his own words, he had his summer legs on and shot off up Terling Road with the Award Winner hot on his heels leaving me trailing in their wake.  The fact that he didn't have his usual rack and panniers on probably helped.

We made good time along the classic route, picking up Grey Sheep at the top of TMNH and arriving at the spiritual home a few minutes earlier than scheduled.   I am not entirely clear how the Award Winner made it there, he had borrowed AW Junior's glasses which meant he could only see things close up (at his age he needs a special prescription).  I think he probably just followed my gasping breaths.

No sooner had we arrived than Tomsk hove into view.  He was just back from a cycling trip to the Forest of Dean where he had been doing some colouring in.

Half way through our first sample we were joined by Gavin SSN and Tsar Nicholas II.  Between us we sampled Dark Star's Festival, Fat Cat Mild and local staples Citra, Ridleys Rite and Essex Boys.  The Award Winner was too busy throwing his lack of weight around ordering GavinSSN and the last of the Romanovs about to bother with voting for a Quaffers' Choice.

We actually had some proper grown up conversations about cycling before the evening descended into its usual nonsense.  Things took a further turn for the worse when our resident geeks started discussing migrating on a cloud to a data centre that had been lost in the Amazon, or possibly Middlesex.  If that wasn't a cue to leave then I don't know what is, so we left.

The wind made it a colder ride than it should have been but at least the temperature didn't drop later.  It was nice to arrive at the pub almost in daylight though.  I haven't looked at Forward Planning  but doubtless OD will have us touring the county and possibly even Forrin during the long evenings to come.
The pleasure of pain endured
To purify our misfit ways

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #2427 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:35:08 am »
Another trip to our spiritual home last night.

I joined the Witham Peloton at Spa for my first night out in a while.  Sadly, news of my presumably eagerly anticipated return can't  have reached everyone as there were only two other riders at Spa.  What was lacking in quantity was made up for in quality however with the Award Winner and Huggy both awheel.  Huggy must have a secret Strava account where he records his other rides because, in his own words, he had his summer legs on and shot off up Terling Road with the Award Winner hot on his heels leaving me trailing in their wake.  The fact that he didn't have his usual rack and panniers on probably helped.

We made good time along the classic route, picking up Grey Sheep at the top of TMNH and arriving at the spiritual home a few minutes earlier than scheduled.   I am not entirely clear how the Award Winner made it there, he had borrowed AW Junior's glasses which meant he could only see things close up (at his age he needs a special prescription).  I think he probably just followed my gasping breaths.

No sooner had we arrived than Tomsk hove into view.  He was just back from a cycling trip to the Forest of Dean where he had been doing some colouring in.

Half way through our first sample we were joined by Gavin SSN and Tsar Nicholas II.  Between us we sampled Dark Star's Festival, Fat Cat Mild and local staples Citra, Ridleys Rite and Essex Boys.  The Award Winner was too busy throwing his lack of weight around ordering GavinSSN and the last of the Romanovs about to bother with voting for a Quaffers' Choice.

We actually had some proper grown up conversations about cycling before the evening descended into its usual nonsense.  Things took a further turn for the worse when our resident geeks started discussing migrating on a cloud to a data centre that had been lost in the Amazon, or possibly Middlesex.  If that wasn't a cue to leave then I don't know what is, so we left.

The wind made it a colder ride than it should have been but at least the temperature didn't drop later.  It was nice to arrive at the pub almost in daylight though.  I haven't looked at Forward Planning  but doubtless OD will have us touring the county and possibly even Forrin during the long evenings to come.

What's happened to you these days.......?  ::-) I remember the days when the ride reports were submitted circa 0600 hours!!  :facepalm:

Oscar's dad

• aka Septimus Fitzwilliam Beauregard Partridge
« Reply #2428 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:04:56 am »
Doggers, I remember the days when you turned out on Wednesday evenings and actually featured in ted's lovingly crafted ride reports!  Any plans to come out of retirement?

« Reply #2429 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:26:31 am »
OD, I remember the days when you used to plan a ride and actually ride it as well.

We were discussing your freewheeling challenge last night and trying to work out what rules we would apply given that you probably won't turn up  :o

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2430 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:56:35 am »
OD, I remember the days when you used to plan a ride and actually ride it as well.

We were discussing your freewheeling challenge last night and trying to work out what rules we would apply given that you probably won't turn up  :o

I would love to be able to turn up for every Wednesday evening ride but unfortunately work (or eating and drinking on expenses, which is still work) gets in the way.

Talking of TMNH Freewheel Challenge I'm going to propose a date change cos I'm otherwise engaged on 7 June. What conclusions did you come to regarding the rulz of said challenge?

« Reply #2431 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:22:34 pm »
1. OD has to ride Dakota as Fred will reach terminal velocity before the Rodney

2. Fixed wheel bikes may remove their chains

3. Anvils may be carried on rear and front racks

4. ACME rocket boosters and catapults are permitted but may not be used concurrently. No dynamite to be used in any circumstances.

5. The drawing of false roads that lead either into railway tunnels or solid walls is not permitted however false diversions that lead to precipices will be encouraged

Then Oaky moved on to data centres  ;D

The Retiree

• Zappi Clothing Ambassador - http://zappi.clothing/
« Reply #2432 on: 04 May, 2017, 12:49:24 pm »
Doggers, I remember the days when you turned out on Wednesday evenings and actually featured in ted's lovingly crafted ride reports!  Any plans to come out of retirement?

I do actually, having carefully looked through the FORWARD PLANNING document I have pencilled the trip to The Monkey in Terling down as one to attend  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2433 on: 04 May, 2017, 01:10:48 pm »
Excellent!!!

« Reply #2434 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:31:36 pm »
1. OD has to ride Dakota as Fred will reach terminal velocity before the Rodney

3. Anvils may be carried on rear and front racks

4. ACME rocket boosters and catapults are permitted but may not be used concurrently. No dynamite to be used in any circumstances.

5. The drawing of false roads that lead either into railway tunnels or solid walls is not permitted however false diversions that lead to precipices will be encouraged

Then Oaky moved on to data centres  ;D
You say 'may remove their chains' does that mean it is not a requirement? At what point would that mean the fixed gear machine is considered to have stopped  ;)

I suspect Hot Black might be bringing out the deep section equipped TT bike for this one!

edit: Will there also be a 'prize' for Max Speed achieved?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2435 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:39:43 pm »
Please be aware that TMNH Freewheeling Challenge is an idea I have nicked from that inspirational bunch down in Portsmouth.  I gather its not unknown for participants to turn up with a Carradice full of bricks!

The question which has been troubling me is this: do we all sit at the bottom of TMNH with takeaway refreshments (beer and the like), perhaps in the tearooms carpark field, and watch each rider come down and thus note who rolls the furthest?  But my original idea was that spectators could base themselves at the grassy bank outside the Rodney which would be a smashing vantage point but how will we know who has rolled the furthest?  Or do we have officials at the bottom of the hill and the spectators loiter at the Rodney?

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2436 on: 04 May, 2017, 04:44:33 pm »
By the way ted, Google translates "quo usque tandem abutere, Tomsk, industria nostra" as "How long, Tomsk, our industry".  What's all that about then???

« Reply #2437 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:13:09 pm »
That's about google translate not knowing its classics.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2438 on: 04 May, 2017, 08:16:45 pm »
Please be aware that TMNH Freewheeling Challenge is an idea I have nicked from that inspirational bunch down in Portsmouth.  I gather its not unknown for participants to turn up with a Carradice full of bricks!

The question which has been troubling me is this: do we all sit at the bottom of TMNH with takeaway refreshments (beer and the like), perhaps in the tearooms carpark field, and watch each rider come down and thus note who rolls the furthest?  But my original idea was that spectators could base themselves at the grassy bank outside the Rodney which would be a smashing vantage point but how will we know who has rolled the furthest?  Or do we have officials at the bottom of the hill and the spectators loiter at the Rodney?

I'll try to get some unpowered runs down the hill on the way home whilst on late shift (assuming traffic lights don't require use of brakes) to get an idea of where to expect people to roll to a standstill. No point waiting down the road to take the piss out of everyone if they don't get that far or go flying past, and they may want a set of cutters to remove the cable tie before pedaling back up the hill for refreshments.

« Reply #2439 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:11:40 pm »
Back up the hill !

« Reply #2440 on: 04 May, 2017, 09:46:26 pm »
OD, surely you have a road cone (or maybe a hat that resembles one) which we can pin a list to and the rider that goes the furthest pops his name on it. (For anyone who has ever played golf, like a closest to the pin)

« Reply #2441 on: 04 May, 2017, 10:21:07 pm »
I think the daily commute down TMNH is going to be fun next week ;D

Jan
Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

BFC

• ACME Wheelwright and Bike Fettler
« Reply #2442 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:13:41 pm »

Jan

I'll be heading down TMNH in about an hours time on my way home. Not much traffic to get in the way, but lighting will be on full to spot the wildlife and the parked cars.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2443 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:20:14 pm »
saw this on the Pompino thread and thought of OD  ;D

I'm sure you've all done it...I just made a terrible error while carrying out a google image search.  All I was interested in was seat post colour.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #2444 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:22:18 pm »

Jan

I'll be heading down TMNH in about an hours time on my way home. Not much traffic to get in the way, but lighting will be on full to spot the wildlife and the parked cars.
Watch out for the traffic lights half way down.

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

Proving ambition is undone by ability since 1958...

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #2445 on: 04 May, 2017, 11:26:26 pm »

You say 'may remove their chains' does that mean it is not a requirement?

Not a requirement, but the alternative is to have the cranks cable-tied to the chainstay like the gearies, which may be sub-optimal.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2446 on: 05 May, 2017, 06:06:41 am »
That's about google translate not knowing its classics.

So what is the translation?

« Reply #2447 on: 05 May, 2017, 10:54:04 am »
I have stolen from Cicero's Catiline orations and used industria in its meaning as energy or industry.

More familiar as:

quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra ?

There are, of course, many similarities between posting on the ACME miscellany thread  and making a speech to the Roman Senate in 63BC.

Perhaps for OD an extract from Cicero's defence of Sextus Roscius might be more apt:

Audacissimus ego ex omnibus?

Isn't google a wonderful thing for trying to look educated  ;D

Oscar's dad

« Reply #2448 on: 05 May, 2017, 12:01:19 pm »
I have stolen from Cicero's Catiline orations and used industria in its meaning as energy or industry.

More familiar as:

quo usque tandem abutere, Catilina, patientia nostra ?

There are, of course, many similarities between posting on the ACME miscellany thread  and making a speech to the Roman Senate in 63BC.

Perhaps for OD an extract from Cicero's defence of Sextus Roscius might be more apt:

Audacissimus ego ex omnibus?

Isn't google a wonderful thing for trying to look educated  ;D

I think you're guilty of being too clever for your own good!

Anyhow I prefer "Sed quid temptare nocebit?" which should mean "What's the worst that can happen?" but more literally translates as "What harm can it do to try?" which I believe is an Ovid quote.  For those of us who much thicker than ted Ovid was a Roman poet who lived during the reign of Augustus (I just Googled that).

« Reply #2449 on: 05 May, 2017, 01:10:37 pm »
ACME should really have a latin motto.