Author Topic: Paris - Roubaix Sportive 2016  (Read 5311 times)

Paris - Roubaix Sportive 2016
« on: 16 December, 2015, 11:06:58 am »
I am doing the 163km sportive next April. Any tips on riding on cobbles?

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
Re: Paris - Roubaix Sportive 2016
« Reply #1 on: 16 December, 2015, 12:46:19 pm »
Hang onto the bars 'loosely' and spend most of the time on the tops.

Pedal a big gear, stay seated but with little weight on the saddle and go as quick as you sensibly can on the cobbles. Going slowly is worse.

Choose your position on the cobbled road carefully. Avoid missing cobbles, slippery mud, other riders, etc. Make sure nothing will fall off your bike.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #2 on: 16 December, 2015, 12:48:52 pm »
Thanks! would you bother with extra padding on the bottom/hands/extra gel strapped to the handlebars or that just unnecessary faff?

« Reply #3 on: 16 December, 2015, 12:52:47 pm »
I have VERY limited experience but I did a couple of sectors on a trip to Belgium after PBP and I would say,

- Put the biggest tyres you can possibly fit on the bike (I had 23's on an down the Arenberg Trench the front one lasted about 50 metres before I had a pinch flat)
- Get used to the noise of the chain slapping around
- Try and get a wheel sponsor  ;D (although that is probably just me)

Look forward to hearing how it goes!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 16 December, 2015, 01:09:04 pm »
I just ride my normal Audax bike with the mudguards and saddlebag removed. I already have gel pads under the handlebar tape and use 25mm or 28mm tyres. My frame pump does get a Velcro strap that it usually doesn't have.

'Pick your intended route on the cobbles carefully' takes care of most tyre/ wheel problems.

I did the 260km route a decade ago and ended up with bruises on both forearms and missing skin under my watch (still have the scar). 50km of cobbles make for a brutal ride. Take it easy beforehand and between cobbled sectors. I've not found a tougher 300 brevet yet, regardless of hills.

« Reply #5 on: 16 December, 2015, 01:20:56 pm »
Oh yes, tyres! Will see if I can get 28 fitted on my tubeless wheels. Thanks for that. And for the fully descriptive injuries!! so I won't wear anything that causes rubbing!

Strangely looking forward to it. This one is only 163km/100miles thankfully....

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #6 on: 16 December, 2015, 01:31:35 pm »
That just means 100km less of flattish asphalt, the cobbles remain in wait.

« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2015, 04:23:52 pm »
What length of cobbles will you will riding?

Rather like LWB, I did the full amount as per PR race and would support his comments.  As an aside, my audax bike has foam under the tape anyway, but only on the tops.  Having done cyclo-cross prepared me for the sudden change when you go from tarmac to cobbles and although you are tempted to slow down, you must hit them at speed and keep going as best you can; don't slow down.  Velcro on pump essential and if you have not got them already, buy some metal bottle cages that can be bent to really secure the water bottles.  First section of cobbles was strewn with pumps and bottles!  Careful with the amount of air in the tyres as there is a temptation to inflate too hard.  If I did it gain, I would be using my CX bike with 32-35 tyres.  Finally, get used to the term pave!

« Reply #8 on: 16 December, 2015, 04:41:34 pm »
Thanks Veloman,

The route will be finalised on the website in March 2016 so I have no idea about the lengths of each pave section.  HOWEVER..... on their website in badly written English is this statement on the 163km route:

"The numbering of the varying cobble stone sections is identical to the numbering in the elite race. Some consecutive sections have the same number."

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #9 on: 16 December, 2015, 04:48:29 pm »
I'm guessing I will be there getting battered by the pave
I won a trip there with Eurosport to ride with Ex pro Juan Antonio Flecha, hotels flights the lot, except I have no clue yet what its all about.
should be fun if he slows down a bit.

28mm tubeless on a Ti frame for me and don't grip hard.  :D

« Reply #10 on: 16 December, 2015, 04:52:16 pm »
The worst bit for me was the coming to a stop when the  pinch flat happen how I stayed upright I am still not sure! :o

« Reply #11 on: 16 December, 2015, 05:08:34 pm »
I'm guessing I will be there getting battered by the pave
I won a trip there with Eurosport to ride with Ex pro Juan Antonio Flecha, hotels flights the lot, except I have no clue yet what its all about.
should be fun if he slows down a bit.

28mm tubeless on a Ti frame for me and don't grip hard.  :D

What a great prize :) enjoy it!

« Reply #12 on: 21 December, 2015, 01:20:38 pm »
Thanks Veloman,

The route will be finalised on the website in March 2016 so I have no idea about the lengths of each pave section.  HOWEVER..... on their website in badly written English is this statement on the 163km route:

"The numbering of the varying cobble stone sections is identical to the numbering in the elite race. Some consecutive sections have the same number."

I rode it a couple of years ago and so far as I could tell, did exactly the same route as the pros, but missed the first 100km which is regular road. 

cygnet

• I'm part of the association
« Reply #13 on: 23 December, 2015, 09:57:38 am »
Make sure nothing will fall off your bike.

This ^

After breaking two seat-packs on the cobbles, (fortunately they were also tied on with elastic) last year I resorted to a second jersey instead of a baselayer, and carried tubes and tools in the 'under-jersey' pockets, leaving the over jersey free for snacks, camera etc.
Also zip tie any computers on.
I Said, I've Got A Big Stick

« Reply #14 on: 23 December, 2015, 10:46:20 am »
Haven't done Paris-Roubaix but have done plenty of cobbles near my parent's in East Lancs.
The only tips I have are: don't ride on the hoods.  Preferably set your bars so you are comfortable riding in the drops.  Or ride on the tops.  If you ride on the hoods your hands will get bounced off.
Don't wear a watch or wedding ring.  A wedding ring could make a real mess of your hand.
Use a metal bottle cage and bend the cage in slightly.  Consider adding gripper tape to your bottles.
Ride as quickly as possible in as big a gear as possible.  Rest on the asphalt between the cobble sectors.
Take your mudguards off, otherwise they'll rattle against the tyre and drive you mad.

« Reply #15 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:02:37 pm »
Nearly time !!

Bike serviced. Cassette needed replacing so that a bit of money spent. Got a tight bottle cage. I'll be wearing two set of padded bottoms, shorts underneath the long bib. The weather is set for chilly with massive tailwind. Zip tying the Garmin and its sensors onto the crank and wheel. Gonna wear two jerseys as suggested. My father and girlfriend will meet me at the second feed station somewhere so that'll be nice as I'll have done the first 14 of the 27 sections !! Wearing normal cut off gloves because it just a case of suffering and having soft hands.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #16 on: 06 April, 2016, 01:14:33 pm »
New drive train for me too, but good point about securing stuff to be sure.

Flying out Friday to Paris, driven to hotel by Eurosport, late night bike reassemble and then up super early and delivered to the start. Still not sure about what the whole tie up with Juan Antonio Flecha is all about, we shall see.
Heard that one of the sections was totally covered in mud yesterday from farmers operations.

As it's all being arranged for me, hadn't paid much notice on the event, guessing there's enough drink stops for 1 750ml bottle use, dumping all my tubes and stuff in another bottle and tying it to the frame instead for security. 

« Reply #17 on: 11 April, 2016, 09:30:30 am »
Hey Burlycross! I hope you found it fun.... I loved it!! my bike was FAULTLESS. Amazing experience on Arenberg  :o :o :o Jesus, that is something I never want to ride again.. it was like riding on ice.... some nasty falls on that I saw and the pro moto crashing into Elia was just embarrassing. I can understand that it was slippery and the motor bike is just as prone to fall over as a push bike but seriously, safety should be number one!

Anyways, back to my bike ride, the bottled stayed in the cage the entire time, my 28mm Conti's were inflated the entire time when everyone's was puncturing left right and centre. But I did notice they were using their racing tyres! I was slow and steady. 27 sections was a LOT!..... and Carrefour l'arbre was a joke.... whole cobbles just sticking out.. I took the sides as often as I could!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #18 on: 11 April, 2016, 03:28:32 pm »
When I rode the PR Cyclo, there was a lot of chest-thumping beforehand about riding the pave and spurning the smoother sidepaths as being an 'honourable ride'. I figured I'd come there specifically to ride pave and I could have more efficiently avoided the pave by staying at home.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #19 on: 11 April, 2016, 04:48:09 pm »
Which is more honourable:
riding all the pave (at whatever speed), or
choosing the 255km route over the more popular shorter options.

;D
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles