Author Topic: [HAMR] A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker  (Read 120491 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Re: A new women's HAM'R challenger- Amanda Coker
« Reply #500 on: 20 April, 2017, 06:10:34 pm »
She will pass 80000 miles tomorrow.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #501 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:01:42 pm »

She passed 80k early this morning.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #502 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:26:58 pm »

She passed 80k early this morning.

I always had trouble with time zones...
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #503 on: 21 April, 2017, 02:53:37 am »

« Reply #504 on: 21 April, 2017, 08:08:44 am »
She's short of cash - there is a gofundme page
https://www.gofundme.com/goamandacoker
or paypal
www.paypal.me/amandacoker92
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #505 on: 21 April, 2017, 04:24:42 pm »

Have I got this right .. Amanda is about to start a go at the 100,000 mile record on May 14th. Can she not just add on miles and days to the current amazing sequence
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #506 on: 21 April, 2017, 04:48:14 pm »
She is just adding onto her existing riding FB but she hadn't announced that she was going for it till now. Therefore she is 'going for' the 100,000 only now.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

Bianchi Boy

• Cycling is my doctor
  • Is it possible for a ride to be too long?
    • Reading Cycling Club
« Reply #507 on: 21 April, 2017, 06:24:49 pm »
This is beyond my understanding. I would fall apart both physically and mentally. How can you ride round in a loop for so long. It is mental - but that is probably why it is a record.

BB
Set a fire for a man and he will be warm for a day, set a man on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life.

« Reply #508 on: 22 April, 2017, 12:03:41 pm »
This is beyond my understanding. I would fall apart both physically and mentally. How can you ride round in a loop for so long. It is mental - but that is probably why it is a record.

BB

She is clearly mentally very tough, and dedicated to the cause. She is probably so used to the loops now, that carrying on is 'no problem' at all.  The knowledge that physically she can cope/is fast enough to recover well, the motivation for the record, and all the support of friends, family, visitors must really help. 
Cycle and recycle.   SS Wilson

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #509 on: 22 April, 2017, 07:40:33 pm »
It probably helps that she loves (road) cycling and is afraid to ride with traffic.

« Reply #510 on: 22 April, 2017, 09:35:38 pm »
OCD, or Aspergers would be my guess.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #511 on: 22 April, 2017, 09:49:17 pm »

As is the case with many brilliant achievers; they are wired differently and that helps them to do amazing things.  It doesn't always give them an easier life though.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #512 on: 23 April, 2017, 01:02:21 am »

The key to Amanda's success is not due to any type of mental defect- it's her love of riding, drive, and off the charts mental and physical toughness.

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #513 on: 23 April, 2017, 12:45:40 pm »
Another monster day - 275 miles.  Whereas I could sit in my armchair and contemplate 200 miles/day, to add an extra 75 miles each day to that is mind-blowing, thinking that she has to recover and start from scratch each day, to ride so far and so fast without going into the red is an achievement that would be hard to parallel in any form of activity.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #514 on: 23 April, 2017, 02:39:14 pm »

The key to Amanda's success is not due to any type of mental defect- it's her love of riding, drive, and off the charts mental and physical toughness.
Anyone who watches videos of her riding, or the photos of her riding, would see that she is a sociable, friendly and open person.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #515 on: 23 April, 2017, 05:29:17 pm »

While on a ride with her father a little over 3 miles from their house, she was struck by a car from behind and thrown nearly 100 feet.

"Dislocated shoulder, broken legs, broken back, brain injury," her father said. "She was literally hurt from head to toe."

The family moved to Zephyr­hills in 2014.

In 2015, she rode from Florida to California on her bike. Upon her return, she decided to go for the world record for miles pedaled in a year.

Coker rides both a traditional upright and a recumbent bike and has to consume at least 5,500 calories a day.

"That girl can eat," her father said with a laugh. "She likes pizza, tacos, spaghetti, subs. She goes through a lot of Nutella because it has high calories in small samples."

And rarely does she listen to music.

"She likes to be alone with her thoughts."

For Coker's mother, Donna Coker, it's the mental barrier her daughter overcame that was most touching.

Her brain injury turned the once-outgoing Coker reclusive.

But after she broke the record Wednesday, Coker eagerly soaked in the adulation.

"That was so telling of how far she has come," her mother said.

Flatwoods Park, popular among bikers, also is where the men's record for most miles ridden in a year was set.

Kurt Searvogel of Little Rock, Ark., pedaled in eight states before completing the final laps of his 76,076-mile journey at Flatwoods in January. That record had stood since 1939.

Whether Coker pedals that far matters little to her. She said she just feels blessed to be able to ride again.

"I really don't have a mile goal," she said. "I just have a goal of doing my best."

http://www.tampabay.com/news/humaninterest/zephyrhills-woman-overcomes-brain-injury-to-set-bicycling-record/2294569

The story of a promising college athlete, who has a setback, but fights back to claim a record with the help of her family and friends is inspiring. It's clearly a different path from the usual one. A young athlete would be expected to work their way though the shorter distances. I don't think there's any endurance advantage to older physiology.

« Reply #516 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:26:15 pm »

Neither is a "defect", at least I don't think so.  Just different personality to the mainstream.
We are making a New World (Paul Nash, 1918)

LMT

« Reply #517 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:32:30 pm »

Neither is a "defect", at least I don't think so.  Just different personality to the mainstream.

Both of which you know sweet FA about.

Given her injuries it is perfectly reasonable and practical to expect her to stay away from the road whilst undertaking this record breaking ride, in addition to this you have the other practical elements that make riding around the park the most pragmatic approach.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #518 on: 23 April, 2017, 07:55:52 pm »

Indeed.

The following is PURE SPECULATION. But:
Brain injuries are complex things. They often never heal properly; it seems possible that AC still suffers in some way, and the symptoms may well affect her behaviour/personality.
At the same time - not speculation! - it is great to read about her recovery and dedication  :thumbsup:

p.s. @rafletcher: I don't know how anyone can know that YOU know Sweet FA about any subject  :-\
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #519 on: 23 April, 2017, 09:40:58 pm »
It must have been a long road for Donna Coker. It's extraordinary for anyone to discover a space in their lives that can only be filled by well over 200 miles a day for a year. I can see the logic in going for 100,000 miles, but it's natural to wonder what comes after.

« Reply #520 on: 23 April, 2017, 10:46:28 pm »

Indeed.

They're both commonly seen as disabilities or disadvantages though, which isn't too far from 'defect' in popular perception. In any case, I'm not sure that attempts to label people are very helpful, and still less when they come from a position of assumption or guesswork.

I just remain in awe of Amanda's determination, and absolutely staggered by the consistency she has brought to this.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #521 on: 24 April, 2017, 11:48:44 am »
Not defects.  And not the point, either.

Amanda is an exceptional athlete, physically and mentally, and it is really exciting she is going for the 100,000.  I hope she does get it, and that it provokes interest in the achievement for other riders, just as Steve's interest in the Year has sparked off this wave of amazing activity and achievement.

I thought the UMCA didn't cover this record, though?  Am I wrong, or is there another body validating?
Getting there...

« Reply #522 on: 24 April, 2017, 12:57:28 pm »

I thought the UMCA didn't cover this record, though?  Am I wrong, or is there another body validating?

Amanda petitioned the UMCA to add the 100k mile category and the board approved it a little over a week ago.

clarion

• Tyke
« Reply #523 on: 24 April, 2017, 03:41:48 pm »
Oh, well that's great news! :thumbsup:
Getting there...

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

« Reply #524 on: 01 May, 2017, 09:42:57 pm »
8012.4 miles in April.  Not quite Godwin's July 1939, but heading well over 86,000 miles for the year.  Unbelievable.