Author Topic: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?  (Read 153510 times)

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
Re: Have you been out today on a Perm or DIY?
« Reply #250 on: 14 May, 2017, 07:44:43 pm »
A very enjoyable 200 devised by and in the excellent company of IanN. Through the Two Tunnnels and out past Westbury, providing lots of opportunities for rail-geekery, down the beautiful Wylye Valley into Wilton, then up the equally picturesque Avon (not that one!) to Amesbury, where, being near Stonehenge, we had a real caveman lunch: fried everything including bread ( :sick:). With mammoths in our stomachs, we rode over the Salisbury Plain, sometimes north, sometimes south, sometimes west and occasionally east, blessing the hedges which sheltered us from the wind (south-west) – at least, when there were hedges – before plummeting down towards Calne and winding our way to Corsham. Here we stopped for supplies at the Spar, where we had a very pleasant encounter with an elderly shopper. She looked the archetypal Little Old Lady but appearances were deceptive; seeing our jerseys, she encountered where we'd come from and where we were going, but rather than regarding cycling from Bristol to Corsham (about 20 miles) as the limits of human endurance, she said our 125 mile was an excellent thing to do and she used to have a colleague who did things like that.  :)
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

citoyen

• Occasionally rides a bike
« Reply #251 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:15:28 pm »
Got home late last night from a DIY 600 in Belgium, though I don't expect the ride will be validated since I lost the first 72km of the track due to a moment of stupidity - entirely my own fault, nothing I can blame Garmin for. The number of diversions due to roads being dug up might also be problematic - I think it must have been Belgian National Roadworks Weekend or something. Note to self: next time you're doing a big ride in unknown territory, take the safe option of traditional proof-of-passage and advisory route. Oh well, it was a great way to spend a weekend anyway, and gives me a good excuse to do another 600 this year to get my SR!

The conceit was to visit four countries in one weekend, starting in France and riding through Belgium and the Netherlands as far as Germany, then back again. In that respect, at least, it was a successful adventure. There are some sections I would change if I were doing it again but some of the route-planning decisions were purely pragmatic, in order to keep the distance as close to 600km as possible, which unfortunately meant riding a few main roads (not as bad as it might have been, thanks to Belgian cycle paths). And parts of the route were absolutely glorious - the rolling countryside between Liege and Namur was particularly wonderful in the Sunday morning sunshine.

I might do a fuller write-up at some point but I'm trying to stay awake to catch up on some work today...
"The future's all yours, you lousy bicycles."

« Reply #252 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:27:36 pm »
The conceit was to visit four countries in one weekend

Shame about the first 72k but sounds like a cracking thing to do on a weekend!

Wycombewheeler

• PBP-2019 LEL-2022
« Reply #253 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:30:31 pm »
There is one spot (descending into Salisbury) which I ride regularly where my Garmin always (100% without fail) switches off. I'm the least techie person in my universe so conclude that this must be evil spirits on that very specific street corner. But nevertheless, there's clearly a Garmin glitch that something localised and signal-related causes a shut-down.

I understand that this is a map issue.Two tiles do not join together correctly and the Garmin cannot cope. You could prove by changing map or turning off map. Alternatively you could just put up with it. My solution is to not use maps - in return I get 100% Garmin reliability, a rare beast.
No. It's just ley lines  ;)

Eddington  127miles, 170km

citoyen

« Reply #254 on: 22 May, 2017, 01:39:45 pm »
The conceit was to visit four countries in one weekend

Shame about the first 72k but sounds like a cracking thing to do on a weekend!

Yes, it gave a very satisfying narrative structure to the ride, if that doesn't sound too poncey. Part of me wants to do it again with better planning to avoid the pitfalls we encountered, and with some route alterations to make it more scenic, but another part of me thinks that attempting to recreate it would ruin what made this adventure special.

I forgot to mention that the overall distance came to a bit over 650km in the end - it was somewhat over-distance to start with, but the diversions added up to about an extra 20km. Easily the longest 600 I've done to date!

https://www.strava.com/activities/999435356

« Reply #255 on: 22 May, 2017, 10:54:02 pm »
There is one spot (descending into Salisbury) which I ride regularly where my Garmin always (100% without fail) switches off. I'm the least techie person in my universe so conclude that this must be evil spirits on that very specific street corner. But nevertheless, there's clearly a Garmin glitch that something localised and signal-related causes a shut-down.

I understand that this is a map issue.Two tiles do not join together correctly and the Garmin cannot cope. You could prove by changing map or turning off map. Alternatively you could just put up with it. My solution is to not use maps - in return I get 100% Garmin reliability, a rare beast.
No. It's just ley lines  ;)

Weird. Mine does the same at &searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf]Kirknewton, or it has done the last couple of times I rode along that stretch of road, and I was blaming the military as Otterburn's not far off, but maybe it's The Mystical Powers of the Ancient Kings of Northumbria.

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #256 on: 28 May, 2017, 03:44:53 pm »
Did a 200 DIY yesterday, the first of my own devising and on my own. Up to Pershore all went very well. Then I was into the wind but it wasn't too strong and there were beautiful villages and country as far as Bishop's Cleeve. It was here I made my mistake; I stopped at Cafe No 9, where I had a bowl of roasted vegetable soup. It was disgusting! Ridiculously salty and full of little horrid bits of aubergine skin. I like aubergine but these were just skin and very tough. After that I wasn't quite full so had a scone, which they served hot with clotted cream. Then I was too full and spent the next 30 miles struggling and burping. Hit the headwind on the A38 and struggled at about 12km/h. After Whitminster perked up a bit and finished relatively quickly (for me).

bhoot

• MemSec (ex-Mrs RRtY)
« Reply #257 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:34:30 am »
Not today, but Saturday... A DIY which we could call the "Dunwich Daylight" - starting in east London, controlling at Haverhill, Hadleigh, Eye and then finishing in the Ship Inn at Dunwich before heading for the beach for a swim. The water was lovely, that "it's really too cold to be in here" feeling for the first five minutes and then totally comfortable. Then into the headwind (fortunately decreasing by this time) to Ipswich for pizza on the waterside and train home to London.

« Reply #258 on: 29 May, 2017, 11:50:15 am »
Sunday did a 200 DIY, heavily hacking a route by wilkyboy into the chilterns from cambridge - my version started in London! The middle half as per wilkyboys route; first 25% did the LEL route out of Loughton as I hadn't ridden the first 5 k of it, despite haviong been riding out this way for 15 years... then joined route at Pukerdige for some really ride riding through gently rolling hills on a glorious day to Gravely. From here the hills got a bit stiffer and the real estate a lot more expensive all the way to Tring at 120km. Big lunch from M&S and picnic on Church lawn with a snooze in the sun. Had been riding near to a 25kph average but knew that was going to come down a lot as I was a bit tired at this point. Biggest climb of the day straight out from lunch (burp) then a series of short and sometimes nasty hauls up over the chilterns for the first hour or so,  then it evened out somewhat thankfully. Baking heat, lots of cyclists around, nice riding but getting a bit fried. My route back to hertford for a long stop at a Nero for multiple ice coffees, then onto Lee Canal which was always going to be slow on a warm sunday afternoon, and indeed it was, but nice just to amble the last 20km back.

Wilky's route: http://www.camaudax.uk/rides/cambridge-chilterns-pathfinder-200/
My hack: https://www.strava.com/activities/1010928302

Recommended for a bit of climbing in the challenging but not deadly mode, and a great scenic change for regular Essex/Cambs riders.

« Reply #259 on: 29 May, 2017, 03:20:56 pm »
200km DIY by GPS yesterday from Musselburgh. The route is a sort of Merse and Moors 300 lite, missing out the southern part by cutting across to Norham from Denholm.
I met up with a mate in Eskbank and we rode up the A7 to join the Old Coach Road at Heriot. The tailwind pushed us towards black clouds in the south but these had moved off by the time we climbed up to Lindean and the sun came out for the descent into Denholm. The cafe on the corner was closed but a local cyclist pointed us to another on the other side of the village green called The Meet.
After that we enjoyed a tailwind again past Fatlips Castle and over the Merse to Kelso. Great view of Floors Castle. The road to Norham skirted huge country estates and castle ruins. We crossed into England at Norham. Our control was the Honey Farm at the Union Bridge where we watched people going on helicopter rides while we ate food served from an old double-decker bus.
Expecting a headwind we set off north but the wind was once again behind us and pushed us on past Chirnside to Preston village. We took the Whiteadder road through the Lammermuirs, passing the Whiteadder's source near Whitecastle and descending through Garvald to our East Linton control.
We'd planned a sheltered ride back to the start but the wind was once again blowing strongly from behind us so we got onto the exposed road over Gladsmuir and enjoyed a flying finish through Tranent. A 200km tailwind.

dod

« Reply #260 on: 30 May, 2017, 10:27:15 pm »
An overnight 320, using Wilkyboy's East Anglia Tour route starting last Saturday in Chatteris at 2:45pm (my LEL start time) and heading clockwise.

The tailwind from heaven saw me cruising through March, Swaffham and on to Norwich, with some great views across the rolling fields of green. In Framlingham by 11pm for a kebab at Zorba's (open 24 hours they told me), then discovered that the GPX file for part 2 of the ride had vanished from my Etrex 20. Spent a couple of minutes cursing the idiot who managed that, then downloaded the route from RidewithGPS onto my phone and navigated using both devices.

Ipswich at 1am on a Bank Holiday Sunday was lively, and the wind had dropped for my turn to the west. However the navigation suffered somewhat, especially in Kersey where I missed a turn and went shooting down the hill, spotting the ford at the bottom just in time. Of course I had to climb the hill at the other side before realising I had gone the wrong way, so crossed the ford again in reverse. I'm sure it's a beautiful spot in daylight, and I hope my squealing brakes didn't wake too many folk!

After my phone battery died the navigation accuracy dropped further, and I probably added around 10 miles in the section between Ipswich and Cambridge. The 24 hour garage in Girton supplied the final feed, and the last 20 miles were done on autopilot.

Finished in just under 18 hours, and it's a great route with plenty of gentle scenery that looks superb at sunset and sunrise. My first 300, with lots learned about trying the 'no sleep on the first night' method for LEL.

Bairn Again

« Reply #261 on: 01 June, 2017, 12:02:50 pm »
I decided to take advantage of the pleasant weather yesterday to bag a 200km ride after work.  Im also on organisers duty Fri/sat so riding this weekend isn't possible for me.

It was my very simple and flat fallback 200, from home in Edinburgh out to Bridge of Allan and back for 120km and a second leg from home to Dirleton in east Lothian and back. 

The first bit out to BoA was tailwind assisted and I covered the 60km in 2h 15m.  Though I had put the tri bars on my audax bike too which helped.  I knew Id not get back to Edinburgh without having to eat so stopped at the cyclists favourite, corrieris in Causewayhead for a small calzone and a big drink of water. It was pretty hot and humid.

The wind dropped soon after I started on the return leg and I managed to keep good pace, using the tri bars when I was outside any 30/40 mph zones.  Training turned into audaxing when I got off the flats at Grangemouth and I took it a bit easier back to Edinburgh, though I had to keep one eye on the clock as I didn't have a front light (not deliberate, Id forgotten to fit one in my haste to get going).  I got home almost bang on 10pm so 5 hours for 122km wasn't too shabby.  I was still warm in my short sleeve top and bib shorts

I had some supper, sorted lights, arm & leg warmers and overshoes and got back under way at 2245.  the final leg wasn't particularly lumpy but isn't that fast as it goes east through central Edinburgh and a good few towns in east Lothian.  It does however have the advantage of street lights the entire way to around 10km from the turn.  The roads were quiet and it was a very still and mild evening.  I got slightly confused in Gullane where there were an array of red lights, but these were temporary crossing points for an upcoming golf tournament.  I was hoping to find a tailwind at the turn but in truth there was no wind.  after a banana from my back pocket (warm on one side, nice) I started counting down the distance to the finish. 

Musselburgh and central Edinburgh were very quiet, no revellers like you get on a Friday or Saturday.  Just a few dog walkers and folk using the last kebab shop open at Tollcross (ggod to know for future reference).

After Roseburn it became apparent to me that the shortest route to home would be a fraction under 200km so I added in a modest dog leg round the bike path by Carrick Knowe golf course to make the distance. 

My GPS showed 0230 when I went to switch it off at the house so it was job done. 

Id never ridden  200 strting at this time of day, I recall Steve A having posted a ride report of a few of these the year he did  his mega points total. 

I had a long lie until 0815 this morning and made it to work bang on 0900, having driven.    :o   

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #262 on: 04 June, 2017, 12:27:08 pm »
I was out on a 200km DIY yesterday afternoon. Egremont-Loweswater-Aspatria-Carlisle-Bowness on Solway-Egremont.

It was a lovely day to be out, and there were lots of cyclists out. Around the turn was'nt much fun where the cafe had closed early, then a road was shut, and then I turnedinto the strong SW wind made the return leg along the coast hard going, especially on the Allonby Coast Road. I set off a lot later than planned due to procrastinating, but riding back through Maryport and Workington down the main roads was probably nicer at 11pm than it would have been earlier on :)

Crummock Water

Solway Firth

Sunset over the Galloway hills
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #263 on: 12 June, 2017, 10:50:48 am »
When you ride with three people in training for TCR, an Outdoor Activities teacher and a veteran of several PBPs and LELs, you end up doing your first 300 faster than you've ever done a 200. Going to be eating a lot today.

citoyen

« Reply #264 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:14:16 pm »
Was planning to do the Fairies 200 or 300 yesterday but had to be home early for a family social event so did a DIY 200 instead, by way of testing some route variations for my 200 I'm putting on in September.

Planned to set off early to beat the heat. Woke up at 4am, but rolled over and went back to sleep... By the time I got going at just after 5.30am, it was already warm enough that I didn't need a vest.

Headed over to Herne for the official start point, made good progress on the quiet roads down to Charing and on to Biddenden. The roads start to get a bit more undulating after that, but I mostly kept up a steady pace, except for the steep bits around Bodiam and Salehurst. The long slog up to Brightling isn't too demanding if you come from Robertsbridge, so that was fine, then came the descent down to Wartling, which was fun. Then made good use of the tri-bars on the flat section across the levels to Pevensey, where I stopped at the services to replenish my empty bidons and scoff a chicken and avocado sandwich.

I'm thinking of changing the control location from Hailsham to Pevensey Services - not as many shops/cafés etc but what is there should be adequate, and it avoids going into Hailsham town centre, which is not the most bike-friendly place. And I like the alternative route too.

Next section was along the coast to Bexhill, and then continuing along the seafront through Hastings. There's a stretch of cycle path I wanted to try out between Bexhill and Hastings. It's partly good tarmac, partly that plastic netting stuff embedded in the dirt/gravel, and partly rough unsurfaced gravel trail - but only for a couple of hundred metres. However, there were signs saying it's going to be closed for a few weeks from today, so maybe they're resurfacing it. Will have to go back and check again before September.

After Hastings, it's another long uphill slog to Fairlight. Again, I was trying a route variant along the minor roads through the country park, rather than the main road out of Hastings. It's mostly good, but viciously steep in places and has another section of rough, unsurfaced trail. Personally, I don't mind that but I will provide on-road alternatives on the route sheet for the benefit of those with skinny tyres and loose fillings.

By now, it was properly hotting up and I must have lost about a litre of sweat on the climb.

The descent to Pett Level is an absolute blast, though, then it's flat all the way through Winchelsea and Rye, and along the Military Road to Appledore, so it was back on the tri-bars for most of that section.

The road through Appledore, Kenardington and Hamstreet to Smeeth is rolling but fairly easy going, except for a short but steep bit up through Aldington.

Stopped again in Brabourne to take on more liquid and an apple, which I consumed sitting on the pavement outside in the full blazing sunshine - it was now about 1.30pm, and and up into the low 30s celsius, so I didn't hang around. The climb out of Brabourne is another short but very steep one, but once you're up onto the Downs, it's a quick road to Waltham, and then a long, fast, fun section, mostly downhill to Chartham.

The railway crossing at Chartham was closed so had to hike the bike over the station footbridge - would have been a few miles detour otherwise, so was very grateful for that. From there, the climb to Chartham Hatch is a nice steady one, and then it's a horrible twisty descent through the woods to Harbledown.

After that, the route skirts round the edge of Canterbury before climbing up one last hill past the university, and then along the fast country road back to Herne.

Got back not long after 3pm, having taken a total of 9:36:33 to cover 216km, of which my moving time was ten seconds inside 9hrs, so I'd only spent just under 37 minutes stopped - which is a minor miracle, given my propensity for faffing at controls (I normally spend more like 60-90 minutes stopped on a 200), and just goes to show what you're capable of if you're against the clock. Very pleased with that.

Also very pleased with my route variations - will need to run the change of control past the powers that be, but I think it will be fine. The amended route is much nicer in several respects. I'll try to ride it again at least another couple of times before September though.

« Reply #265 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:28:33 pm »
Did consider entering a DIY today but a forecast of 30 degrees c and humid saw me chicken out and just do an early morning short local spin.

My respect to Citoyen and anyone else who did ride a DIY in this heat. :thumbsup:

citoyen

« Reply #266 on: 19 June, 2017, 07:56:53 pm »
Thanks! But looking at the reports of the Three Coasts 600 this weekend, I think those riders deserve far more respect...

Respect to those doing the Fairies rides as well. I last did the Fairies 300 in 2011, when it was similar conditions, and that was pretty tough going - slogging across the vast open expanse of Romney Marsh to Dungeness in full sun and searing heat is no fun at all.

Feanor

• It's mostly downhill from here.
« Reply #267 on: 20 June, 2017, 11:08:23 am »
Did the Snow Roads 300 Perm yesterday.

Much more overcast than the weekend.
Heavy drizzle from Oyne all the way over the lumpy bits to Strathdon, well soaked.
Dried out for the rest of the ride.

Final big and normally fast descent down the North side of the Cairn o' Mount was a big disappointment.
It was awash with surface dressing for several K, and the bike was swimming around in it.
This is a steep descent, and felt dangerous at the 20kph I did it at!
My wrists were sore from working the brakes so hard for so long.

https://connect.garmin.com/modern/activity/1807497776

« Reply #268 on: 20 June, 2017, 08:15:58 pm »

After spending the weekend at the Fairies Flat Audaxes
Paul aka Cold Snail organizing and me making tea and coffee'
We decided to do a gentle 200k today.
We thought starting at midnight might be fun.
I managed 2 hours sleep and Paul had five minutes in an armchair.
Midnight found us at Tonbridge
Was perfect cycling , warmish and no cars
We stopped for a snack in Appledore at about 50k
Rye ,Camber and  Dungeoness flew by without any problems
75 miles in we found the first open shop and had sandwiches and drinks
Another ten miles and I was nodding off on the bike..
A coffee each and red bull for me from the garage at Brenzhet and we had a nap on the edge of the forecourt'
Most pleasant  it was too.
Bethesden , Headcorn and Staplehurst passed without incident
Paddock Wood and a very smokey car passed us . A while later the lady driver had stopped by the side of the road.
We helped as best we could, she had no mobile so she used mine to get her breakdown service to the rescue
Next stop Five Oak Green for more snacks then back to Tonbridge
By the end it was properly hot and we'd covered 211 km

« Reply #269 on: 21 June, 2017, 12:40:28 am »
Another very hot one - a mandatory DIY 200 from centre of London to Marlow and Henley with 4 climbs up from the river towards the Ridgeway. I set off at 1400 which meant I got the worst of the rush hour madness in the hills. Roads that were previously quiet for me flipped to aggressive commuter rat runs. I came across one head-on collision on a single track road. Long skid marks from each car so thankfully no injuries.

It was very very hot until about 1900 but luckily there was quite a bit of shade about. The countryside was beautiful but I was too hot'n'bothered to take a picture.

I consumed 8 litres of fluid and could have had another bottle. I've no idea how folk completed 600 at the weekend.

Bairn Again

« Reply #270 on: 24 June, 2017, 10:43:42 pm »
Id entered the National 400 but a post holiday illness and inability to travel far from home meant I changed plans and did a DIY 300km. 

Starting from Edinburgh at 8pm I first headed west to Callander, 80km into a very strong headwind.  I then turned and went to Perth via Dunblane and Auchterarder.  I reached Perth (150km) at 4am and it hadnt really got dark at all during the night, just a bit gloomy from around 11.30pm - 2am.  Id had a few very small showers but not enough to require anything more than my gilet. 

I left Perth at 6am, buyoed by a SW wind which helped me through Forfar Montrose to my penultimate stop at Edzell where I had an al fresco lunch and briefly cycled with a couple from Stoney.

The final stretch from Auchenblae to Stonehaven is one of my favourite roads and I enjoyed counting down the kms.  I arrived in Stoney at 1400 and managed to get a train to Edinburgh almost immediately.

Warm day and Im glad I didnt try a longer ride as I am still suffering the effects of an illness a few weeks ago. 

Very enjoyable to be out at night when the nights are so short, its a special feeling.   

Bairn Again

« Reply #271 on: 10 July, 2017, 12:31:38 pm »
i took advantage of the warm weather to bag a 600 and subject to validation, my 13th consecutive SR.  :P

Leg 1 of 350km was darlo - malton - Beverley - Epsworth - York - Ripon - Darlo

Leg 2 of 250km was a Darlo - Thirsk - Stamford Bridge - escrick - Boroughbridge - Darlo. 

Busy and hot on Saturday, my lack of detailed local knowledge had me on busier roads than might have been the case, the busy B road from Malton - Beverley in parrticular had no other cyclists. 

I was glad that the heat subsided about 6pm and it became a lovely evening pootle, enhanced by a beautiful sunset from the top of  Hutton Bank just after Ripon.   

Local yoof tried a ride on my bike at leeming services c 2300, until threatened him with physical violence (Scottish accent always helps in this regard).  By Sunday afternoon, part of me was wishing hed ridden off on it!

back to Darlo by 0100 up at 0430 and away on Sunday by 5am. 

Long slow day, wish I had a £1 for every sign that said "York 10 miles" - also when circumnavigating the bits on main roads A64, A166, A1079 that look like staggered crossroads online are in fact longer (and I didn't much like turning right off them with their buys traffic).

Part of my route on Sunday seemed to direct me to a bridle way near Pilmoor which had me wishing Id just ridden the A19 as I ended up adding about 12km.   I was stopping every hour or so to fill up with water and to just cool down, I saw slathered in sun cream so had my very own bug collection on legs and arms, im sure I was a sight. 

Once I got to York I knew I could get back to the finish on memory, and I stopped in Boroughbridge for a big feed.  Chocolate eclairs (the cream variety) always seem to hit the spot for me on a long ride.

almost got taken out by a woman driving on her mobile phone with about 10k to go, we exchanged pleasantries. 

Finished at 1900, so 37 hrs all in, 3 edit - sorry - 5 hours in hand for the DIY limit of 42. 

My body is in decent nick given the circumstances but Ive noticed my right foot a little numb which im putting down to the poor road surfaces, of which there were many. 

ive done 600s as early as easter and as late as September, this felt like just about the right time to do one,  I felt great on Saturday night approaching the sleep stop but I was woken up with cramp during the  night which set the scene for a sluggish sunday. 

Anyhow, job done and i even managed a couple of very nice pints of Northallerton Dark in the Quakerhouse before the train back home to civilisation.

On my ride to the railway station I was amazed to see that darlington actually has driving instructors.    :D

Work today....not firing on all cylinders...and a stinky kit bag waiting for me at home..... :sick:

« Reply #272 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:04:45 pm »
At the last minute I arranged to visit a friend over the weekend on the north east end of the Quantocks.  The forecast looked pretty reasonable and she seemed keen to have a go at a 200k on Saturday.  I love planning DIY's but not knowing the area and not having much time I looked at Ian H's site for inspiration.  I ended up 'stealing' bits from 'Mad March Coasts and Quantocks' and from 'Valley of the Rocks' and splicing them together with my own bits.  An advisory DIYxGPS was put in on Saturday morning for Holford - Sampford Peverell - Lynmouth -  Combe Martin - South Molton - Holford.  This looked a bit hilly but hills are good for you aren't they?

After the usual pre-ride faffing we set off just after 0800.  It was overcast but not too cool and the lovely climb to Dead Woman's Ditch soon had us up to working temperature.  The descent into Crowcombe was a bit worrying as my brakes seemed to be barely slowing me at one point.  The braking performance that I am more than happy with around Leicestershire was found sadly lacking for the hills of Somerset and later Devon.  I vowed that I would be careful not to let the speed get too fast on the really steep stuff no matter how good the sight lines, road surface etc.

We headed southwest away from the Quantocks towards the Vale of Taunton Deane (apparently) and the countryside became pleasantly crinkly with little lanes and picturesque villages.  I couldn't remember quite where the borrowed route finished and my bit started but at some point after Milverton we ended up on a narrow track with a dodgy surface and I knew that this was my bit!  On the OS map this was the most direct route to Sampford Peverill and just had to be done as it had a ford at the end of it.  OK so the Streetview man had decided not to go down it but when he drove past the other end you could definitely see that there was a footbridge for if the water was too deep.  The track itself was passable with care and although we managed to avoid the footbridge we rejoined 'proper' roads at Lutley Bridge where we had to stop for a 'lets pretend we just rode through the ford' photo.

This also put us on NCN3 which took us to the first control via a decent section of canal towpath where we herded flocks of small birds through the reeds.

We turned north and followed the Lowman Valley to Bampton where the bakers caught our eye.  We bought a snack then headed off up the hill to enjoy the view while we ate it.  The hills were getting larger again and began in earnest after Dulverton.  Eventually the manicured grass fields with sheep and cattle changed to proper moorland with heather, bracken and even the occasional pony.

After the previous braking problems the descent into Lynmouth was taken with care.  To be honest I didn't really enjoy this part of the ride as I was worried about the brakes and the road surface also needed watching in places.  The climb to Lynton was a bit of a shock - it tested my legs, my lungs, my shoulders and the new rear hub.  We stopped for lunch outside the town hall and watched the world go by for a while.  I was trying to work out what time I had to finish in order to get the ride validated.  It didn't look too promising but I wasn't massively bothered (honest).  I thought that I had heard that the 14.3kph could be relaxed for particularly hilly rides but wasn't sure by how much or whether I had imagined the whole thing.

The Valley of the Rocks was pretty spectacular but a bit too busy and manicured.  The lovely lanes and fantastic views along the next 15k to Combe Martin almost took our minds off the climbs.  I wasn't sure how far down into Combe Martin I had to go to be controlled and the welcome sign at the very top of the hill felt like a bit of a cheat.  I passed a church and a chippy then noticed that I was on High Street but finally turned round when I got to the library.

My riding partner was struggling with a bad back so to avoid unnecessary climbing hadn't bothered descending into the town and had headed off along the A399 for the last control at South Moulton.  As usual it took me longer to catch her than expected but we then made decent progress along the gentler inclines of the A-road.  The time was approaching 1800 and there was a fair amount of traffic but it was mostly very well behaved.  Another refuel in the centre of South Moulton and we had about 65k left to go and just under 4 hours to do it.  This wouldn't sound too bad normally but my route now took us back across Exmoor with (I later discovered) some gratuitous climbs.  The legs were now getting tired and the back was more of a problem on the climbs requiring frequent dying fly impersonations on the grass verges to straighten it out.  I was encouraged to bugger off to try to finish in time but declined.  At least the descents were kinder and you could generally let the bike run rather than hanging on the brakes.

Back to the relatively flat lands and we decided to stick to the A39 rather than follow the planned route through Watchet as the nav was easy, the surface was good and, as it was after 2100, the traffic was now light.  With 15k including two allegedly 'massive' hills to go and about 45 minutes before cutoff time I finally agreed to bugger off up the road and finished with about 10 minutes to spare (I think).  I then pedalled back along the road and we finished again about bang on time  :)

This was a (mostly) lovely route in a new area for me.  It was a great day out on the bike with good company but with just less than 4000m of climbing it was jolly hard work !

ETA:  Now validated and I didn't imagine the relaxation of speeds for AAA rides.  Also passed to AAA man who reckons 4250m of climbing  :thumbsup:

« Reply #273 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:09:18 pm »

On my ride to the railway station I was amazed to see that darlington actually has driving instructors.    :D

Who do you think causes all the problems? :)

(The only time I've been told to get on the cyclepath in Darlo, it was a driving instructor telling me)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #274 on: 10 July, 2017, 05:23:20 pm »

That looks more like a "river bed used as road" than a ford!