Author Topic: Transferring transparencies into digital format  (Read 7776 times)

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
Re: Transferring transparencies into digital format
« Reply #25 on: 06 December, 2016, 11:13:48 pm »
35mm?

Capture a Nikon scanner on eBay and suck up the time...
It is simpler than it looks.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #26 on: 07 December, 2016, 09:37:28 am »
35mm?

Capture a Nikon scanner on eBay and suck up the time...

Yep 35mm

There's a Coolscan IV on there now - clicky finger's twitching ::-)

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #27 on: 07 December, 2016, 01:37:42 pm »
Are you going near Andover in Hampshire any time soon? 

I have 35mm projector & screen you are welcome to.  You can get great results (especially if you have a big white wall).
Some people say I'm self-obsessed but that's enough about them.

slope

• Inclined to distraction
    • Current pedalable joys
« Reply #28 on: 07 December, 2016, 04:35:45 pm »
Are you going near Andover in Hampshire any time soon? 

I have 35mm projector & screen you are welcome to.  You can get great results (especially if you have a big white wall).

Thanks LEE for the kind offer. Alas not spending chrimbo this year back at Lavender Cottage in Marten (near Oxenwood) - you must have cycled past a few times when I lived there?

I have a Leica projector and an ancient screen and stand that screeches like a banshee when being erected, but no large white wall.

And then I remembered ::-) I have an old Epson Perfection 3200 flatbed scanner with neg and trannie holders/adapters. Previously used with a G5 (non Intel) Mac and Photoshop from the way beyonds.

Don't think it works with my current 2010 Mac Mini (unsupported by Epson?) - BUT it might with VueScan or Silverfast for $50? Both have free trials so will play tomorrow and see if that's a goer or as Jaded suggested, a used Nikon dedicated neg and trannie jobby and move it on after the tedious deeds?

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #29 on: 07 December, 2016, 09:24:49 pm »
Alas not spending chrimbo this year back at Lavender Cottage in Marten (near Oxenwood) - you must have cycled past a few times when I lived there?

Looking at the map I think Marten may have been the only place around there I haven't cycled through...or possibly I have. 

It's certainly slap-bang in the middle of glorious cycling country though.  I've lost track of how many times I've been through Oxenwood, Bedwyn and the hills around Combe Gibbet.  Lovely.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #30 on: 07 December, 2016, 10:57:21 pm »
Vuescan is well worth a punt.

It's never failed to work with scanners for me.

« Reply #31 on: 07 December, 2016, 11:19:08 pm »
Thread resurrection

Got loads of trannies and negs taken over the many decades prior to digital.

Most will be crap images

But I KNOW there are a few gems - and specific photos/images that I NEED digitising

Given that there are hundreds and way more

Loads of us must be in the same position?

Buy a decent slide/neg scanner and hunker down to the tedium but probably fun (in parts) - then sell it on afterwards?

Any other suggestions?

Or use a dslr and macro lens with some creative thinking for the side stage and lighting. I'm in the process of putting my Pentax K1 on a copy stand adaptor on an old LPL 687 enlarger and intend to use the head, inverted, and neg carrier for the stage. All paid for by the sale of my second hand Nikon 9000.

« Reply #32 on: 18 February, 2017, 02:54:04 pm »
Jurek has kindly let me play with his 7dayshop slide scanner thing and I was similarly underwhelmed.  In terms of ease of use and speed, it's great.  But for teasing out the fine detail of hydrogen alpha emission nebulae on old slides, it's beaten by a projector/dslr combo.

Does anyone want this next?  It's currently sitting in SE23 but I could probably post it.

Shout now, as we plan to move house and this will not be coming with me.

« Reply #33 on: 18 February, 2017, 10:59:17 pm »
Thread resurrection

Got loads of trannies and negs taken over the many decades prior to digital.

Most will be crap images

But I KNOW there are a few gems - and specific photos/images that I NEED digitising

Given that there are hundreds and way more

Loads of us must be in the same position?

Buy a decent slide/neg scanner and hunker down to the tedium but probably fun (in parts) - then sell it on afterwards?

Any other suggestions?

Options:

1. Eason v800 - better than people say, but struggles a bit with slides

2. Plustek 120

3. Secondhand Nikon 5000 or 9000 for 35mm only or up to 120

4. Dslr scan - needs time and effort for set up, but can be excellent

Mike

LEE

• "Shut Up Jens" - Legs.
« Reply #34 on: 20 February, 2017, 12:01:57 am »
Trust me, a big white wall, a darkened room, a projector and a decent digital camera with RAW and/or custom white balance.

Potentially you can exceed the resolution of your DSLR's sensor doing it this way.

Wombat

• Is it supposed to hurt this much?
« Reply #35 on: 21 February, 2017, 08:56:42 am »
I've got a variation on the need to transfer normal film into digital.  Its 35mm microfilm, and there is a microfilm reader/scanner available at its home  but its a Canon MS300ii, for which there are no scanner drivers available for any OS later than Win7 32bit.  The project is important, so I think the only way out is to buy a skanky old laptop (there's no way I'm taking my shiny Sony Viao running Win 10 back to Win 7, as it probably wouldn't work.  Only alternative I see, is a scanning bureau, but I'd need to take a 450 mile round trip to re-look at the film, note which frames (they're not numbered) I need, and then get the film sent to a bureau with those instructions.  I'd prefer to take a laptop with all the correct software and do it myself.  Ultimate quality isn't critical, as they are poor quality monochrome things anyway.
Wombat

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #36 on: 21 February, 2017, 09:04:53 am »
Although yours isn't in this list, it might be worth asking them about your scanner.

Wombat

« Reply #37 on: 21 February, 2017, 10:14:04 am »
I've got Vuescan, so checked the list.  I will ask them if there is any hope.

I got Vuescan a few years ago, when I found my Canon 8800F scanner wasn't supported under Win8.1, and they (Canon) didn't care.  It is generally a very good answer to the annoying lack of drivers for reasonably new scanners.  There was nowt wrong with my scanner, so I didn't want to buy a new one.
Wombat

Zipperhead

• The cyclist formerly known as Big Helga
« Reply #38 on: 21 February, 2017, 02:29:39 pm »
How about running virtualbox/vmware on your laptop and running a virtual win7 machine inside it, connected to the scanner.

That's what I do at home to save polluting my machine with the scanner software.
Won't somebody think of the hamsters!

Wombat

« Reply #39 on: 24 February, 2017, 09:34:11 am »
Well, we have success, but not in the way I expected, far from it.  Despite the fact that none of the staff I have previously spoken to knew, the new head archivist does know, and has a secret skanky laptop available.  Even better, they've somehow managed to fund funding for a brand new microfilm scanner!  This means that either I'll be able to connect to it with modern machinery, or they'll have a suitable device available.  Sadly, it will still cost me money, for access.  C'est la vie...
Wombat

« Reply #40 on: 05 March, 2017, 01:55:11 pm »
I've currently got Jurek's slide scanner thing, and with a house move coming up (I hope!) it would be good to move this on to a new home.

It's this one: scanner

It's free.  Happy to post.