Author Topic: Dunwich Dynamo XXV - 8th July 2017  (Read 17486 times)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
Dunwich Dynamo XXV - 8th July 2017
« on: 30 August, 2016, 12:29:11 pm »
Yesterday I was invited for drinkie-poos by Rebecca, the lady with whom I completed this year's DD. I found when I got there that I had somehow acquired minor celebrity status as there was a photo of Rebecca and me on the back page of their community newsletter, and most of the community concerned were also enjoying drinkie-poos.

It transpires that the Clissold Court community has been very taken with the idea of the Dunwich Dynamo and that a team of them is likely to set sail, as it were, from London Fields next year. Pretty well everyone I spoke to yesterday was a cyclist, and one lady was aware of a certain Jane, OTP, through Lewisham Cyclists. There was also a guy there who works for TFL and I nattered to him at some length.

So, here we are with only a little over 10 months to go before the 25th DD. I am hoping to be there and it would be very nice if there could be a fraternal Team Slow (they liked that idea) involving YACF and the Clissold Court Community.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Andrij

• Андрій
  • Ερασιτεχνικός μισάνθρωπος
Re: Dunwich Dynamo XXV - 8th July 2017
« Reply #1 on: 30 August, 2016, 12:39:28 pm »
I hope to ride next year - it all depends on other commitments at this point in time.

While I have been pretty darn slow (first attempt), and managed up to brisk-but-not-speedy, I'd really like my next attempt to be 'fast'.  This would fit in my my plans for getting back into regular cycling as well as long-distance rides (maybe even A***x).  But there's still a lot of time between now and then.
;D  Andrij.  I pronounce you Complete and Utter GIT   :thumbsup:

« Reply #2 on: 16 January, 2017, 05:25:48 pm »
I've put the Dynamo in my diary, though probably on a Solo rather than a tandem.

I'm still deciding if I'm going for a fast run or a team slow run though, depends how the diets going.

D.
Somewhat of a professional tea drinker.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #3 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:25:49 pm »
Blimey! Less than 6 month to go! How time flies!

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #4 on: 16 January, 2017, 06:38:10 pm »
I hope to ride next year - it all depends on other commitments at this point in time.

While I have been pretty darn slow (first attempt), and managed up to brisk-but-not-speedy, I'd really like my next attempt to be 'fast'.  This would fit in my my plans for getting back into regular cycling as well as long-distance rides (maybe even A***x).  But there's still a lot of time between now and then.
I haven't heard that you're either supporting Ajax or experimenting with Anthrax, so I presume these plans have been put on hold.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

« Reply #5 on: 29 January, 2017, 12:40:51 pm »
Unfortunately this year's date falls during the week of The Fridays' Tour. :(
Rebecca

2013 custom Enigma Etape
2010 Surly Cross Check
1978 Puch Princess mixte
2012 bespoke Brompton S8L

velovoice.blogspot.co.uk/
@velovoice

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #6 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:09:39 pm »
How far is it?
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens

yorkie

• On top of the Galibier
« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2017, 07:26:33 pm »
London to Dunwich Beach is roughly 180km, give or take a couple of metres (as measured by me on the last 2 times), keeping as close to the official route as possible.

Last year I did it as a DIY by GPS to Sheringham YHA to take it to 300km, bit of a long day out, but worth it!
Born to ride my bike, forced to work! ;)

British Cycling Regional A Track Commissaire
British Cycling Regional A Circuit Commissaire
Cycling Attendant, York Sport Village Cycle Circuit and Velodrome

« Reply #8 on: 29 January, 2017, 08:34:50 pm »
It is 112 miles.
If you've clocked more it is because you've become lost.
No reason that being lost shouldn't be enjoyable......

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #9 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:10:24 pm »
It is 112 miles.

Or because you've forgotten you've included the ride to the start, which seems to be a traditional bit to get lost on.

« Reply #10 on: 29 January, 2017, 09:37:14 pm »
It is 112 miles.

Or because you've forgotten you've included the ride to the start, which seems to be a traditional bit to get lost on.

Yes, that.

« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2017, 01:20:12 pm »

I think I might be doing it this year for the first time. A friend of mine has been nagging me for years to do it so I've relented. He's since suggested we ride to the start which wouldn't be so bad except we live in Ipswich so it's only 30 miles from the finish.

Oh well I'd hoped to do a 400km this year, it might as well be the DD.....
Duct tape is magic and should be worshipped

Mango Smith

• Dawdling around Norfolk, 74" at a time.
« Reply #12 on: 26 February, 2017, 01:48:04 pm »
I'll be a Dunwich Debutante this year, riding 74" single speed, and am looking forward to it immensely. I've heard people going on about the bike congestion in the first few miles but, you know, it's a pretty relaxed start time. Just go earlier or later. Personally, I can't wait to be among the crowds, and have always wanted to do a decent night ride. Roll on, July 8th!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #13 on: 03 March, 2017, 08:10:46 am »
It's great fun :)
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #14 on: 03 March, 2017, 03:00:51 pm »
Blimey! I think I had better do some cycling. Haven't been out for months, other than very local potters.

« Reply #15 on: 03 March, 2017, 07:42:55 pm »
Yet another aspirational ride Would love to do it once.   Will have to try and work something out.

Chris S

« Reply #16 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:10:01 pm »
25th? Wow!

I have very mixed memories of this ride. It can be great, but at least once - it was tragic, and that was probably enough for me. I tried to ride it as a DIY audax a couple of times after, but always found good reasons to stop before the event itself.

But hey - if you don't have memories to cloud your opinion - and you've not ridden it before - definitely go for it, it's a mental experience on a bike!

Ruthie

• Her Majester
« Reply #17 on: 26 April, 2017, 09:23:12 pm »
I bloody loved it last year, even though I bailed just outside Ipswich.  I'd be there this year if it didn't clash with me being overseas  :D
Milk please, no sugar.

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #18 on: 26 April, 2017, 10:17:55 pm »
That night was very cold. Extreme measures were taken to warm me up.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #19 on: 27 April, 2017, 12:22:59 pm »
I see the logistics have got worse: there is NO official feed stop now, there may be 2,000 riders and there are NO trains.

I wonder if we could arrange YACF transport back?  I don't mind driving (I have C1 on my licence and I am now fully signed off by the opthalmologist with 6/6 in both eyes, in case you were worried!).  What sort of vehicle could take up to 10 bikes and people?  There are 15-seat minibuses but I doubt they are flexible enough to fit the bikes in.  Or a Luton van and a minibus?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #20 on: 27 April, 2017, 01:08:19 pm »
25th? Wow!

I have very mixed memories of this ride. It can be great, but at least once - it was tragic, and that was probably enough for me.
Was it the year when someone was killed at North Weald or was it tragic for another reason?
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

Chris S

« Reply #21 on: 27 April, 2017, 01:24:33 pm »
25th? Wow!

I have very mixed memories of this ride. It can be great, but at least once - it was tragic, and that was probably enough for me.
Was it the year when someone was killed at North Weald or was it tragic for another reason?

Yes. Killed right in front of us. I was talking about it with fboab just the other day. There are some sounds we encounter in our lives that never leave us. The sound of head on concrete (My eldest boy did a head-long off a garden wall onto a patio when he was about 5) is one, the sound of the van hitting that guy right in front of us, and the screaming woman and child who were walking on the other side of the road, are others.

I also remembered that I'd forgotten that another guy was injured too - injured by the flying body of his mate.

It was just fucking horrendous. We were all so close to just riding off to our respective homes; any fun had gone from it.

« Reply #22 on: 27 April, 2017, 01:30:34 pm »
I see the logistics have got worse: there is NO official feed stop now, there may be 2,000 riders and there are NO trains.

If you like that sort of stuff great.  Personally, I would prefer to DIY by GPS with a couple of other folk.  Risk of being knocked off by other riders seems far less that way!

telstarbox

• Loving the lanes
« Reply #23 on: 27 April, 2017, 01:36:51 pm »
There were loads of 'unofficial' food stops last year though (and the queue at the 'official' one in Sudbury was very long so we carried on for 10 mins and found a pub doing a BBQ). You won't go hungry.
2019 🏅 R1000 and B1000

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
« Reply #24 on: 27 April, 2017, 06:41:29 pm »
Having a friendly relative to get you back is the ideal solution. My plan this year is to get Dez to drive to Minsmere, where there is an EV charging point, and I will cycle to meet him there. Last year he met us at the beach but then had the faff of finding a charger on the way home. This year, the car has a bigger battery and a faster charger.

Could cycle back with camping gear though. That was lovely when Jane and I did that. Will have to find an alternative camp site though: Auntie Helen has moved to Der Vaterland since then.