Author Topic: Jeremy Vine posts video of angry driver threatening to knock him out  (Read 22421 times)

Re: Jeremy Vine posts video of angry driver threatening to knock him out
« Reply #100 on: 19 April, 2017, 07:16:16 am »
No sympathy here either.  It sounds as if JV tangled with a real villain. Credit to him for standing up to her.
Move Faster and Bake Things

« Reply #101 on: 19 April, 2017, 08:40:25 am »
I find her rather terrifying.

The entitlement, the hyper-sexualised-vanity, the complete disregard for the law/other people and all topped off with some confusing religious bent. ("The courts can't judge me, only God can" etc.)

It's a dangerous mix. Is she a lone nut-job or a just another sad indictment of our society?

ian

« Reply #102 on: 19 April, 2017, 09:24:51 am »
More nuts than KP and less empathy than a rock.

But don't forget fellow denizens of London, she'll be back behind the wheel in a couple of months with ALL NEW GRIEVANCES and ADDED BAD ATTITUDE (I didn't see if she got a ban, but it'll be concurrent with her sentence I'm sure). I very much doubt she'll be NEW AND IMPROVED the next time she tries to overtake a cyclist.

« Reply #103 on: 19 April, 2017, 09:37:45 am »
I find her frightening (she has no empathy or social awareness) and also rather sad. She'll go through life not understanding why things keep going wrong around her, why she keeps on getting in trouble.
Doubt very much whether being banned will stop her from driving once she is released from prison.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

« Reply #104 on: 19 April, 2017, 09:44:59 am »
I find her frightening (she has no empathy or social awareness) and also rather sad. She'll go through life not understanding why things keep going wrong around her, why she keeps on getting in trouble.
Doubt very much whether being banned will stop her from driving once she is released from prison.

I don't think she is that different from any number of pond life scumbags that the police spend most of their time and resources dealing with. In prison she'll meet a whole bunch of people just like her. She's clearly really very fucking thick, and on the basis of my one experience of spending a day amongst inmates in a prison, I'd say that and social class are the common factors.

Next time she runs up against a white male middle-class celeb with a helmet cam she might think twice.

SoreTween

• Most of me survived the Pennine Bridleway.
« Reply #105 on: 19 April, 2017, 10:59:00 am »
(I didn't see if she got a ban, but it'll be concurrent with her sentence I'm sure)
No, the law was changed recently so that bans cannot be concurrent.
2023 targets: Survive. Maybe.
There is only one infinite resource in this universe; human stupidity.

« Reply #106 on: 20 April, 2017, 09:52:39 am »

Next time she runs up against a white male middle-class celeb with a helmet cam she might think twice.

You are right, but how's your maths?

2 x 0 = ?

« Reply #107 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:35:52 pm »
    ;D

Among the usual anti cyclist rubbish in the BBC comment section was someone moaning about how sanctimonious Vine had got some poor driver sent to prison for making hand gestures after he goaded her.  ::-)
Quote from: tiermat
that's not science, it's semantics.

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #108 on: 20 April, 2017, 07:47:05 pm »
Yup.

The guilty party has been sent down for 9 months, and people are still finding negatives in the legal process! Maybe I'm misreading posts ... ::-)

Prison may not be the best rehabilitation method out there, but it's probably the best we have. I reckon even a few days behind bars would be a massive shock to most, and has fair chance of making them think about the consequences of their actions. Start a petition if you want her hands chopped off.

She will have quite a bit of time alone with her thoughts.

(And those suspended sentences from previous offences might not seem like a let-off now.)
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #109 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:02:37 pm »
She is an irredeemable psychopath, whose skewed view of the world will only be strengthened by her short time in jail. She will be nothing but trouble to those around her for the rest of her days, supported and encouraged by those she surrounds herself with.

« Reply #110 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:12:26 pm »
She is an irredeemable psychopath, whose skewed view of the world will only be strengthened by her short time in jail. She will be nothing but trouble to those around her for the rest of her days, supported and encouraged by those she surrounds herself with.
I'm struggling to find myself arguing with any of that^.
Time bomb.
I've seen little to be convinced that she is capable of processing the information.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #111 on: 20 April, 2017, 08:19:17 pm »
Matt, I'll give you 10:1 that she'll be a dangerous shit for pretty much all her life. Nothing has got through to her in the slightest yet.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #112 on: 20 April, 2017, 10:59:42 pm »

I don't think she is that different from any number of pond life scumbags that the police spend most of their time and resources dealing with. In prison she'll meet a whole bunch of people just like her. She's clearly really very fucking thick, and on the basis of my one experience of spending a day amongst inmates in a prison, I'd say that and social class are the common factors.
You are probably right.
I hesitate to lump all prison inmates into that category though. MrsC used to teach in a women's prison, and I sat on a bus with inmates who were on day release (work practice). From my (and MrsC's) experience, not all inmates are like this stupid girl/woman. Ok, obviously the ones I've met were were the ones working on their rehab, but still that shows that some were working on life. They'd committed all sorts of offenses from car crime, not paying fines, drug dealing,  to crimes of violence.
<i>Marmite slave</i>

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #113 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:24:17 pm »
Matt, I'll give you 10:1 that she'll be a dangerous shit for pretty much all her life. Nothing has got through to her in the slightest yet.

So what's your plan?
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

Jaded

• The Codfather
  • Formerly known as Jaded
« Reply #114 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:41:17 pm »

So what's your plan?
We could deport her to some godforsaken island the other side of the world?
It is simpler than it looks.

« Reply #115 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:53:09 pm »

So what's your plan?

i know you were not asking me, but in terms of direct punishment I don’t think there is a solution. It’s just how some people are, and their existence is a result of the sort of society we live in, i.e one that promotes completely misperceived “rights” at the expense of others. 

Thinking more generally about road safety and people who drive while banned, perhaps it’s time to consider measures against those who knowingly lend, hire or sell cars to such drivers. But given that there are not enough resources to adequately police existing traffic laws, I won’t be holding my breath.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #116 on: 20 April, 2017, 11:59:21 pm »
I think that a move towards treating cars in the same way that industrial equipment is would be a good thing. HSE investigation is somewhat more rigorous.

It saddens me when someone has died and the put-upon motorist complains about the time they are delayed by as the investigation takes place.

One always has to remember how beholden, financially, the average newspaper is to the motor industry.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #117 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:08:23 am »

So what's your plan?

Why reward her behaviour?

Given she is likely to remain a danger to other road users, anything that keeps her off the road for as long as possible gets my vote.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #118 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:25:56 am »

So what's your plan?

Why reward her behaviour?

Given she is likely to remain a danger to other road users, anything that keeps her off the road for as long as possible gets my vote.

I thought Australia had passed hate legislation on cyclists.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #119 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:29:26 am »
So fits in with her view. Again, why reward her?

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #120 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:30:41 am »
Happy to have her deported to a country that hates cyclists.

Win. Win.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #121 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:34:35 am »
I'm sure the remaining cyclists there will appreciate your actions.

By the way, NSW isn't the entire country of Australia, though that state is bigger than countries over here.

Jaded

• The Codfather
« Reply #122 on: 21 April, 2017, 12:43:35 am »
I'm sure the remaining cyclists there will appreciate your actions.

By the way, NSW isn't the entire country of Australia, though that state is bigger than countries over here.

Ah, I hadn't realised that the MHL only applied in NSW, sorry.

or that there were so few remaining cyclists in Australia. Sorry.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #123 on: 21 April, 2017, 05:49:51 am »
The introduction of the MHL is ancient history, granddad!