Author Topic: 2017: To Long Itch and Beyond ...  (Read 9646 times)

2017: To Long Itch and Beyond ...
« on: 13 September, 2016, 04:41:07 pm »
So, as mooted in other threads I have grand plans for 2017 YACF forum camping meets.   

May 2017   

Meet at Long Itch for the evening on Friday 125th May but then to start a week long tour covering no more than 40 miles each day.   The tour will look to stop at sites with facilities and even perhaps include a 'rest' day for folk to recharge batteries, do some laundry, etc.    The aim would be to get to Suffolk for Friday 1912th May for a weekend meet at a campsite which Julian of this parish has recommended*.   

I'm thinking that we could simply publish an itinerary nearer the time of the sites that we intend to use on our tour.   It could be going north east and heading for the North Norfolk coast, it could be heading into deepest inland East Anglia.   Who knows.   

September 2017

Looking to go to Silverdale, Morecambe Bay for the weekend commencing Friday 15th September for the weekend.   There is lots of scope for cycling and walking in the area and we would consider planning a Saturday ride in the Bay area.   The site, Gibraltar Farm*, has a group field which is a clearing amongst the trees and is a marvellous setting.   Silverdale is easily accessible by train from Lancaster off the West Coast mainline and is perfectly rideable from Lancaster.   We'll probably stay until the Monday as the trains are a bit crowded on Sundays.

We have no planned skillshares although I believe Ruthie wants to tell us how she managed to timeshift Raj into Wowbagger with her camera this past weekend, and, perhaps we could have a bit of a field games evening on the Saturday of both the Suffolk and Silverdale weekends with the likes of croquet, petanque and Tim Hall's 'field jenga' should folk have sets which they might bring in their automobiles.     

All sites except Long Itch are of course bigger commercial ventures so expect fees and facilities to match. 

I am aware that I will need to break this down into two separate dedicated threads at some point but for now I am seeking to gauge interest.   It will be nice to do something different from Long Itch for next year and might be the start of a different type of meet with the mini tour and with weekends in other places which I hope will attract forumites who live closer to said places.

Anyway, over to you guys.     

*  Links to follow.

<edit>

I should of course add that we cycle at a leisurely rather than frantic pace for many reasons, not least because I am not a racing snake!

</edit>

Charlotte

• Dissolute libertine
  • Here's to ol' D.H. Lawrence...
    • charlottebarnes.co.uk
Re: 2017: To Long Itch and Beyond ...
« Reply #1 on: 13 September, 2016, 04:50:50 pm »
Yup, definitely interested.  Quite possibly in the entire enchilada.
Commercial, Editorial and PR Photographer - www.charlottebarnes.co.uk

Cudzoziemiec

• Ride adventurously and stop for a brew.
« Reply #2 on: 13 September, 2016, 05:00:47 pm »
I believe Ruthie wants to tell us how she managed to timeshift Raj into Wowbagger with her camera this past weekend
You don't need to be a Time Lord to understand ageing, but what's worrying is the implication that Wowbagger was once as goodlooking as Raj.
Riding a concrete path through the nebulous and chaotic future.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #3 on: 14 September, 2016, 06:38:46 pm »
I will volunteer to cook at Long Itch on the Spring Saturday and for those that want it bacon'n'egg on the Sunday before you up sticks for Suffolk. Won't be able to join in the tour.

Early days for the late Summer plans except to say I might rock up on two wheels for that one...
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #4 on: 15 September, 2016, 09:15:29 am »
Torslanda,

Thanks for the offer.   I was in fact thinking of upping sticks and moving on on the Saturday having had a raucous evening of sausage and chips with Crabbies alcoholic ginger beer.   

Gosh, I know how to live ...    :o   ;D

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #5 on: 15 September, 2016, 04:09:26 pm »
Interested, but not yet able to make plans that far ahead.

« Reply #6 on: 15 September, 2016, 04:15:00 pm »
Fully appreciate that Kim.   

I wanted to get dates and ideas out there so as to give people the time to consider the options offered.

I'm guessing that some folk might want to do part of the May week, some may join or leave us en route, some may do a night at Long Itch or a weekend in Suffolk.   Should be an opportunity for many who do not normally get to Long Itch to come and join the fun.     :thumbsup:   

As for Silverdale and with a whole year's notice, I hope that some of the northerners might find tuits to join us.    8)

« Reply #7 on: 20 September, 2016, 09:07:49 pm »
Interested subject to ancient parenting and usual caveats regarding life.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #8 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:34:44 pm »
It's time to start filling the diary with your adventures for 2017 and I have updated the OP reflecting a slight change in the first Long Itch event of 2017.   I am now looking at the weekend of 5th - 7th May and not the 12th - 14th as previously indicated.

I am still proposing the mini tour if anybody is interested to Suffolk for the following weekend but that is up for you guys to indicate your willingness and availability to tour as well as for attendance in Suffolk for the following weekend.   Camping fees at Long Itch have been maintained at £5 per adult per night in spite of indications of an impending price hike.   

One of the many stand out events at Long Itch weekends is the main event, a skillshare held on the Saturday evening.

This year I have something very special in the making which is about 95% confirmed.   The upside is that you will be thoroughly entertained for about 90 minutes by a most engaging, amusing, humble, thoughtful and good natured person.   The downside is that it might come at a cost, an entry ticket fee of £10 max.   I may even need to take advance payments on this one.

Now, it's not worth speculating because I will confirm the identity of our speaker once it is firmed up.   However, without giving the game away yet I am pretty sure that you will want to be there for the Saturday evening main event as this has been a whole year in the making.  Even if you don't want to be there for the camping, cycling and bon homie for the rest of the weekend, you surely will not want to miss this.

I might be able to reserve the entire field with enough advance notice so, why not take a small risk and book yourselves in.  ;)

It's time to start throwing in your helmets into the ring.   Are you in? 

« Reply #9 on: 23 January, 2017, 07:49:26 pm »
Yes of course subject to domestic approval and some major work chez nous having been finished (and gulp, paid for). I am still hoping to get to Avignon at the end of the month. If heading Suffolk wards would probably make sense for me to start from Home tbh unless Trump has started the 2nd great depression by then. Decisions decisions. I can of course drive over for a special event.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 23 January, 2017, 08:18:11 pm »
Probably.  Circumstances permitting.

« Reply #11 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:15:33 pm »
Probably, house move, future job and small child permitting.
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #12 on: 23 January, 2017, 10:58:27 pm »
Um....Err......
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

« Reply #13 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:01:30 pm »
Possibly. Depending upon family stuff.
Not fast & rarely furious

tweeting occasional in(s)anities as andrewxclark

« Reply #14 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:02:05 pm »
You wouldn't regret it Basil.   Bring the delightful Mrs Basil too.    :)

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #15 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:02:55 pm »
And a tent  :P

« Reply #16 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:05:07 pm »
And a bicycle.

Basil

• Um....err......oh bugger!
  • Help me!
« Reply #17 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:26:43 pm »
Admission.  I'm actually not that fussed about cake.

Torslanda

• Professional Gobshite
  • Just a tart for retro kit . . .
    • John's Bikes
« Reply #18 on: 23 January, 2017, 11:34:52 pm »
Social and work diary duly altered. Put me down for 2 nights and cooking duties on Saturday.

What's the collective view on food? I'm happy to carry on with the veggie paella but if there's enough interest could reinstate the prawn version.

If my e-bike is ready I may well be joining you on a trundle.*

*Note to Cudzo: Standard pedal assist, the awesome awesomeness is just a drawing at the mo.
VELOMANCER

Well that's the more blunt way of putting it but as usual he's dead right.

« Reply #19 on: 24 January, 2017, 07:41:07 am »
me and apollo are up for it  :thumbsup:
the slower you go the more you see

« Reply #20 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:16:37 am »
Might be able to shoehorn a night or so en route to Suffolk, depending on your route.

essexian

« Reply #21 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:21:55 am »
CBH goes away for a week with her "Aged Mum" three times a year leaving me at home to look after the house and more importantly, our pride of cats (currently only 8 of them. It feels quite empty around here so I might sneak a couple of kittens in whilst she is away.....mad cat man? Me????  ;D )

Anyway, can you guess when two of the three weeks fall? Yep, the same weeks as these trips. Thus, I regret that I am out....apart from perhaps a Saturday day/evening trip down to Long Itch which I will need to confirm closer to the date.

So, may I be a: "perhaps; I'll let you know."

« Reply #22 on: 24 January, 2017, 08:23:19 am »
Can you good folk indicate whether you'd be happy to stump up for the Saturday speaker please?

Perhaps I should run a poll ...   

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #23 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:20:13 am »
Social and work diary duly altered. Put me down for 2 nights and cooking duties on Saturday.

What's the collective view on food? I'm happy to carry on with the veggie paella but if there's enough interest could reinstate the prawn version.

If my e-bike is ready I may well be joining you on a trundle.*

*Note to Cudzo: Standard pedal assist, the awesome awesomeness is just a drawing at the mo.
That gives us even more to look forward to.  :)

Cudzoziemiec

« Reply #24 on: 24 January, 2017, 11:21:02 am »
Definitely intend to be at the Suffolk campingness, not sure if I can fit in a week before that too.