Author Topic: [LEL17] LEL The Start  (Read 11953 times)

[LEL17] LEL The Start
« on: 15 October, 2016, 01:15:53 pm »
I will be flying in from Spain. Will the start be Loughton and the nearest airport Stanstead? I'm thinking about booking my flights and hotels etc now so I can concentrate on my training.

hellymedic

• Just do it!
Re: LEL The Start
« Reply #1 on: 15 October, 2016, 01:30:43 pm »
Loughton appears closest to London City Airport (whose planes might not be big enough for bikes), followed by Stansted. Heathrow and Luton are approximately equidistant next.

« Reply #2 on: 15 October, 2016, 01:34:38 pm »
Thanks, Stanstead it is then.

Phil W

« Reply #3 on: 15 October, 2016, 02:09:53 pm »
Stansted is just south (and west) of the Great Easton control.  From the airport it is easy to join the back lanes and ride to Loughton.  It would be a ride of approx 35km. Other transport options are available.

« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2016, 08:59:43 am »
Thanks for the replies. I intend to fly into Stanstead a few days before the start then get a taxi to take me complete with my bike box and luggage to a hotel somewhere close to the start. Any suggestions on a suitable hotel?

Also I’m sure I was told a few months ago that there would be storage space for bike boxes etc. Is this indeed true? If so is this something I need to book plus when would I be able to drop off my bike box, during registration?

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:25:09 am »
We can look after your stuff, no problem.

All the suitable hotels are already booked, alas.

« Reply #6 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:26:59 am »

So no hotel vacancies within 15km from the start?

« Reply #7 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:36:18 am »

You can book an "audax hotel"?  :o

« Reply #8 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:39:26 am »
Just had a quick panic look online and there seems to be loads of hotels available within a few miles of Loughton. Am I looking at the wrong Loughton?

« Reply #9 on: 16 October, 2016, 09:56:21 am »

This is one time where I think alwyn has either got it wrong or is trying a wind-up that doesn't really work.

Obviously "suitable" is governed by individual preferences and budgets, but there is plenty of choice reasonably near Loughton and AFAICS plenty of availability this far away from the end of July. After all, staying in central London is perfectly feasible, and that's never going to be sold out ...

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
« Reply #10 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:13:11 am »
Just had a quick panic look online and there seems to be loads of hotels available within a few miles of Loughton. Am I looking at the wrong Loughton?
Well I don't know :P

But this is probably the best page to check your plans against, for peace of mind: https://londonedinburghlondon.com/route/

you can zoom in to see exactly where Loughton is!
Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #11 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:16:18 am »

This is one time where I think alwyn has either got it wrong or is trying a wind-up that doesn't really work.

Obviously "suitable" is governed by individual preferences and budgets, but there is plenty of choice reasonably near Loughton and AFAICS plenty of availability this far away from the end of July. After all, staying in central London is perfectly feasible, and that's never going to be sold out ...

Thanks. Yes plenty even within a couple of miles. Was worried then for at least a little while.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #12 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:20:10 am »
I suspect alwyn's reply is along the lines of http://lmgtfy.com

Maybe if you'd asked "What hotels near the start are other folk booking?", you'd have got a different answer.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #13 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:23:55 am »
I suspect alwyn's reply is along the lines of http://lmgtfy.com

Maybe if you'd asked "What hotels near the start are other folk booking?", you'd have got a different answer.

This is getting silly now. I actually posted..

Any suggestions on a suitable hotel?

LMT

« Reply #14 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:48:48 am »
I'd expect a more constructive reply from the organiser TBH.

OP, given the choice I'd go with the Premier Inn at Buckhurst Hill. Premier Inn hotels in the UK (the ones that I've stayed in) are clean and you can get a good nights sleep. They also have a very good choice of breakfast which should fuel you for that first day. In addition Loughton is only a couple of k's from the hotel.

Phil W

« Reply #15 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:49:08 am »
Premier Inn, Waltham Abbey is 6km from Loughton. They let you keep your bike in your room , you get a good bed, and it's not far from the Lee Valley Park which is a country park with lakes. They have an attached pub for food and drink, and a buffet or continental breakfast which are optional. A little walk to the nearest station or Waltham for shops  but no more than 20 mins or so.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/essex/waltham-abbey/waltham-abbey.html?INNID=WALBAK&ARRdd=27&ARRmm=07&ARRyyyy=2017&NIGHTS=3&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=1&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&SID=4&ISH=true&BRAND=PI

A flex booking means you can cancel with no charge right up to your day of arrival.

« Reply #16 on: 16 October, 2016, 10:55:28 am »
Premier Inn, Waltham Abbey is 6km from Loughton. They let you keep your bike in your room , you get a good bed, and it's not far from the Lee Valley Park which is a country park with lakes. They have an attached pub for food and drink, and a buffet or continental breakfast which are optional. A little walk to the nearest station or Waltham for shops  but no more than 20 mins or so.

http://www.premierinn.com/gb/en/hotels/england/essex/waltham-abbey/waltham-abbey.html?INNID=WALBAK&ARRdd=27&ARRmm=07&ARRyyyy=2017&NIGHTS=3&ROOMS=1&ADULT1=1&CHILD1=0&COT1=0&INTTYP1=DB&SID=4&ISH=true&BRAND=PI

A flex booking means you can cancel with no charge right up to your day of arrival.

Thanks. Thats perfect!

« Reply #17 on: 16 October, 2016, 11:46:53 am »
I'd expect a more constructive reply from the organiser TBH.

OP, given the choice I'd go with the Premier Inn at Buckhurst Hill. Premier Inn hotels in the UK (the ones that I've stayed in) are clean and you can get a good nights sleep. They also have a very good choice of breakfast which should fuel you for that first day. In addition Loughton is only a couple of k's from the hotel.

Thanks.

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #18 on: 16 October, 2016, 11:52:46 am »

Danial .. think carefully and check again .. I know that you have had problems booking volunteers into accommodation .. but seems as if you may have got hold of duff info... maybe places you tried were just not accepting bookings that far ahead.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #19 on: 16 October, 2016, 12:25:51 pm »
oops, yes, butterfingers. I should have checked my post first. There are no suitable hotels left in Loughton, but there is camping at Debden House campsite if you want to bring a tent. Plenty of options further afield.

« Reply #20 on: 16 October, 2016, 01:18:29 pm »
oops, yes, butterfingers. I should have checked my post first. There are no suitable hotels left in Loughton, but there is camping at Debden House campsite if you want to bring a tent. Plenty of options further afield.

No problem at all Alywn. Thanks to the good members of this forum I'm all sorted now. Keep up the good work.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:07:39 pm »

And a "nice" climb over Epping Forest between there and Loughton to get your knees nicely warmed up ;D
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #22 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:22:11 pm »
Talking about arrangements for the start is panicking me😯

Is there parking at the start?

« Reply #23 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:48:46 pm »
Is there parking at the start?

Yes. £35 for the week.

ElyDave

• Royal and Ancient Polar Bear Society member 263583
« Reply #24 on: 16 October, 2016, 05:50:14 pm »
Is there anywhere available to leave a car for the duration?  I'd ideally train it down, but never tried that with a recumbent, and would probably end up needing to go via London which wouldn't help.

[EDIT: crossed posts]
“Procrastination is the thief of time, collar him.” –Charles Dickens