Author Topic: Rear Suspension Question  (Read 2398 times)

Rear Suspension Question
« on: 16 October, 2016, 11:03:13 am »
The standard coil shock on my Challenge Seiran is a rather creaky lump of metal that doesn’t seem terribly effective at dampening most of the bumps that litter our roads. (No photo unfortunately as I’m currently at work and Flickr is blocked). 
So I’ve been wondering for a while about updating it for a lighter and hopefully more effective air shock but not being a mountain biker my experience in this area is effectively zero. So what should I look for in a new rear shock for a bent? Chain Reaction seems to be best on price and currently has big reductions on offerings from Fox and RockShocks. 

Re: Rear Suspension Question
« Reply #1 on: 16 October, 2016, 11:50:56 am »
This article tells you the measurements you'll need and give and overview. I suspect you want the lightest air shock with an emphasis on small bump compliance. I've included a link to an older review that includes some shocks likely to be in the sales.

http://hub.chainreactioncycles.com/buying-guides/components/rear-shocks-buying-guide

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/gear/article/six-of-the-best-mountain-bike-air-shocks-44817/

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #2 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:02:38 pm »
Many years ago I dobbed in the rear shock from my Speedmachine, which appeared to be of the sort usually found on mountain BSOs for a DT-Swiss air jobbie.  Like night and day.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:13:52 pm »
The thing with those coil shocks is that the dampers don't seem to like spending most of their life wiggling up and down in a narrow part of the range of travel, and soon end up in a state where their primary function is to make hydraulic squelching noises.  The effect of the lack of damping is of course a net increase in rattliness.

After getting through a couple of them on the Streetmachine, I gambled on the one air shock I could find online in the appropriate unobtanium size; some middle-of-the-road Fox thing.  I'm underwhelmed by the frequency with which it requires topping up (compared to the fork on my mountain bike), but the improvement to the suspension has been dramatic.  The simplicity of jibbling the pressure to suit the amount of luggage carried is a useful bonus, too.

Should that fail, I will suck it up and see if HPVelotechnik will supply an appropriate DT-Swiss offering.  The exchange of limbs for extremely competent Germans efficiently supplying obscure components is already proven to be worthwhile, compared with the usual blood-from-stone process of going via a dealer.

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #4 on: 16 October, 2016, 03:23:00 pm »
I got mine from Chain Reaction as they were knocking out £250 RRP units for a ton but that was back when Gordon Brown was Chancellor.
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #5 on: 16 October, 2016, 04:16:20 pm »
I’m glad to hear that an air shock would be money well spent. Particularly as Kim’s description of coil shock degradation seems to fit the way mine feels quite well.

Fortunately the Seiran uses a 165mm shock which are still readily available even though most new mountain bikes use longer shocks these days.  Chain Reaction still have £250 units advertised at £100 so I may order one.

« Reply #6 on: 27 October, 2016, 09:52:40 pm »
Finally got round to fitting the new Fox air shock the other day.  I’ve only ridden round the block a few times with it so far but the improvement in ride quality is very noticeable. Fitting wasn’t without problems as the bottom of the shock required some filing in order to fit and the spacers at the top end of the old shock needed rather more alteration still.  The more persistent problem though is the fact that I can’t pump up the shock without undoing the top bolt and tilting it back a few degrees as the seat support fouls the Schrader valve.  It only takes a few minutes so I’m not especially bothered so long as it doesn’t require pumping up too frequently. Its half the weight of the old shock too, which is nice.

20161021_152521 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr
20161021_135404 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr
20161021_150116 by Joe.Audax, on Flickr

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #7 on: 27 October, 2016, 09:53:27 pm »
Can you fit it the other way up?

« Reply #8 on: 27 October, 2016, 10:05:35 pm »
Now that is a mindbogglingly simple and possibly very good idea.

« Reply #9 on: 31 October, 2016, 07:21:00 pm »
I flipped it round topsy-turvy yesterday before setting off for a ride and it’s absolutely fine. More to the point it's now easily adjustable. Cheers Kim.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #10 on: 31 October, 2016, 07:39:36 pm »
:thumbsup: