Author Topic: A kneeling stool for a bad back.  (Read 2217 times)

essexian

A kneeling stool for a bad back.
« on: 12 December, 2016, 08:01:04 am »
I am currently suffering with a painful back caused by a fall. According to my GP, its a soft tissue injury which will take some time to heal....if its anything like the soft tissue injury I did to my right foot playing football in 1985, it might never heal as that still hurts at times!

Anyway, the pain in my back is worse whilst sitting at my desk trying to work. I have tried three different style of chair but none of them were comfortable for more than a short time. Thus, I wondered if a kneeling stool would be any better? I used to work with a bloke who had a bad back who swore by them.

Any comments/suggestions?

mattc

• n.b. have grown beard since photo taken
    • Didcot Audaxes
Re: A kneeling stool for a bad back.
« Reply #1 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:13:23 am »
We have a really cheap one at home. Construction is pretty shnky, but it does what I wanted - it forces you into near-perfect posture. I haven't had a proper back problem (yet), but I imagine this is a good way to help prevent them, and may well be good for recovery from your problem.

(It's not a magic wand; as you are much more fixed in position than a regular chair, I find I sometimes get sore knees - just from the pressure - and it's a bloody nuisance when reaching round for stuff. Hey ho.)

Has never ridden RAAM
---------
No.11  Because of the great host of those who dislike the least appearance of "swank " when they travel the roads and lanes. - From Kuklos' 39 Articles

« Reply #2 on: 12 December, 2016, 08:51:56 am »
I have one and it's great for my back. I've had it 10 years and I always sit on it at the kitchen table. I would definitely recommend it.  :)
Quote from: Kim
^ This woman knows what she's talking about.

« Reply #3 on: 12 December, 2016, 09:04:21 am »
I used one for quite a while as my office chair.

Most of them are cheaply made and don't have enough padding, there is a lot of pressure on your shins and front on knees. Also they aren't easily height adjustable. In my job sometimes I'm doing screen work and sometimes proofreading printed matter; that really needs different seating height, which I found awkward with the kneeling chair.

It did a lot for my back though.

Another approach is to use a wedge cushion on a conventional chair and to put the chair back all the way so you don't get any support. The wedge encourages you to sit with a hollow back rather than slumping and not having a chair back to lean against makes you use your muscles more (which the physios say is better, more mobility, use muscles more = more strength).
<i>Marmite slave</i>

Clare

• Is in NZ
« Reply #4 on: 12 December, 2016, 09:07:18 am »
If you are not used to sitting on one you may get knee problems at first. Have you considered a Wave Stool?

T42

• Apprentice geezer
« Reply #5 on: 12 December, 2016, 04:58:26 pm »
Tried one: it made my back worse but I have kyphosis so it wasn't really a surprise. Passed it on to my son, who thought it was great until his knees began to hurt.
I've dusted off all those old bottles and set them up straight

Eccentrica Gallumbits

• Rock 'n' roll and brew, rock 'n' roll and brew...
« Reply #6 on: 15 December, 2016, 12:22:20 pm »
Bambach saddle seat?
My feminist marxist dialectic brings all the boys to the yard.

« Reply #7 on: 15 December, 2016, 12:51:14 pm »
I had some kind of lower back soft tissue injury about fifteen years ago and couldn't remotely comfortably sit on a 'normal' chair for more than a few minutes. I tried kneeling seats too and have two of them from a company which was Stokke and now seems to be Varier Furniture. The critical thing for me, if you try one, is to use one of the moving ones. i.e. the ones which are effectively a rocking chair, particularly when working at a desk using a computer, for example. For me it's the movement which is as important as the partially kneeling posture.

http://www.varierfurniture.com/en_gb/Movement-Chairs

From the above page, I have the sixth and seventh items down (Varia Balans and Thatsit Balans). The first of those has vertical adjustment, but doesn't rock and it's good for a situation where you're regularly getting up and moving around. The second one is really comfortable for long periods (hours) as it's highly mobile and you can lean back onto the back support occasionally, stretch, etc.

They are far from inexpensive, however. That said, they are very well made and mine are as good as new after well over a decade. Perhaps experimenting with a cheap one to start with is the way to go; see if it helps and whether the kneeling position suits you? After knowing that, the ability to rock/move is needed for long periods of use, I found, at which point I suspect cheap ones are going to feel flimsy and not last overly long.