Author Topic: Rear wheels  (Read 2066 times)

simonp

Rear wheels
« on: 20 March, 2013, 08:17:05 pm »
Our rear wheel is stuffed.

Rim is, IIRC, 40H Alex DH19. It has split around two spoke holes.

What do the forumites recommend? We’re not heavy but have toured on it.

Re: Rear wheels
« Reply #1 on: 20 March, 2013, 08:43:34 pm »
Dunno for you two lightweights but I'd go for 48 holes, having said that I think I weigh not far short of you two combined :)

The cheap option would be a like for like rim transplant - happy to do it for you in the SICRUT BWNCWR.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #2 on: 20 March, 2013, 09:40:23 pm »
Velocity Deep-V is a tough rim available in 40 hole that USA-ian tandem teams like a lot.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

rogerzilla

• When n+1 gets out of hand
« Reply #3 on: 20 March, 2013, 09:48:44 pm »
Velocity Deep-V is a tough rim available in 40 hole that USA-ian tandem teams like a lot.
I have one on a solo.  I think it's a very indifferent rim for the expense.
Hard work sometimes pays off in the end, but laziness ALWAYS pays off NOW.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #4 on: 21 March, 2013, 05:09:02 am »
They aren't very expensive in Oz. The local importer tends to take the piss pricewise.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

simonp

« Reply #5 on: 17 April, 2013, 12:08:14 pm »
So, a few people recommended Rigida Spunik rims, and as we DNSed The Dean for weather reasons anyway, there was time before Yr Elenydd to send the hub to a wheel builder. So I thought, anyway. After being told a week's turnaround, and sending the hub away two and a half weeks before the ride date, nothing. Still nothing three weeks after we sent the hub away.

I ended up sourcing another wheel at short notice, a 48H deep section rim from JD Tandems.

Once I get back the 40H hub (with or without a wheel built onto it) I'll look at what to build onto that and whether to build a new rim onto the front hub also. The wheel builder originally contacted could have had more work out of us but doesn't seem very reliable.