Author Topic: [HAMR] How far would a contemporary pro go?  (Read 4340 times)

TGS

[HAMR] How far would a contemporary pro go?
« on: 07 February, 2015, 02:28:14 pm »
This got me thinking,

I'm doing a bit of part-time work for a local firewood supplier, and today we had a tall, thin, bloke with a beard in a flash Merc van, wanting 20 bags of hardwood. I recognised him as a local cyclist, and told him about Steve's ride. I also asked the usual questions. Was he getting out much in this cold weather? 'Not before 11, because of the ice', was the reply. What plans did he have for the coming season? 'The opposite of your mate; the Hour Record'.

Sir Bradley seemed impressed that Steve was attempting such a feat in this country. When I told him about the 205 miles a day, it didn't seem to compute, as he wondered if that was the weekly figure.

Tommy was a professional. How far would a modern day pro-tour rider manage in a year? And after this year is over does anyone think we will ever see a pro have a crack at Steve's record?

Re: How far would a contemporary pro go?
« Reply #1 on: 07 February, 2015, 02:45:24 pm »
A, as an ex pro why not give it a go next year

« Reply #2 on: 07 February, 2015, 04:03:30 pm »
I don't think there is any data to base a serious estimate on because modern pro cyclists don't do this kind of thing, or anything remotely like it. 

Andy Wilkinson raced for professional teams.  You could compare his 24 hour speed to Steve's and extrapolate.  Or look at vedettes' times in PBP and do the same.  But I expect the difference would narrow with increasing time. 

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #3 on: 07 February, 2015, 04:58:55 pm »
Jock Boyer won RAAM both times he rode. The first time, he'd finished the Giro d'Italia for 7-Eleven just a few weeks before. Jock was the leadout man for Davis Phinney that year.
Wheel meet again, don't know where, don't know when...

« Reply #4 on: 07 February, 2015, 05:00:58 pm »
Tommy went Pro to do the ride.  He was an amateur before

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #5 on: 07 February, 2015, 05:20:05 pm »
I have to admit to completely misunderstanding the title of this thread until I opened it.

H

« Reply #6 on: 07 February, 2015, 05:44:06 pm »
"The third parable ... was the Story of Eki. Thirty-seven-year-old Russian Viatcheslav Ekimov was the only rider on Postal -- indeed, perhaps the only person in Armstrong's world -- whose work ethic was beyond question. This status was underlined frequently, most of all by Armstrong's assertion that Eki was “nails.” Which raised the question: what does it take to be “nails”?
This is what it took. When Eki was fourteen and living at a sports club in St. Petersburg, he rode 38,000 kilometers in one year, an average of 450 miles a week. In 1996, as a professional, he nearly doubled it, riding 70,000km in 1996. ("That's not possible for a human," Landis said incredulously). But it was true -- Eki had twenty-five notebooks full of training logs to prove it. Eki had ridden thirteen tours and finished every one. Eki never missed a training day. Eki was never late or unprepared. Eki coached himself. Eki was Eki."

"Lance Armstrong's War" by Daniel Coyle.

« Reply #7 on: 07 February, 2015, 06:56:44 pm »
I have to admit to completely misunderstanding the title of this thread until I opened it.

Took me a while H, but I laughed out loud when I got it in the end !
Garry Broad

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
« Reply #8 on: 07 February, 2015, 09:35:25 pm »
To do 100,000 miles in a year, assuming an average speed of 22mph, would require 12 hours and 27 minutes of riding time per day.  That's the equivalent of a 264 mile 12 hour TT every day plus a 27 minute warm down. 

Professional cyclists might struggle with the steady riding - their training is now very highly structured with periods of high intensity, so to ride at a relatively low heart rate constantly (so that they would not burn an irreplaceable amount of calories) would require quite a big change in their style.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

« Reply #9 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:08:37 pm »
How would a pro team approach the problem? You'd need a good endurance rider with an understanding partner, or without attachments. You'd pace them with riders in training, and send the youth squad out after main training, to do more pacing.
There'd be a car and physio allocated to the rider. The budget would be interesting, as would be the marketing. The ideal rider would combine the endurance of Andy Wilkinson with the media appeal of Guy Martin.

Lars

• n.b. have shaved off beard since photo taken
« Reply #10 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:22:32 pm »
If a few top pro teams would come together and enter, say, 100 riders to the HAM challenge, award
them, say, £2m each if one or more rider(s) exceed x miles in 365 days. Fully support them with
mechanical, nutritional, psychological, route design etc support plus running the project in a suitable
place like Mallorca maybe they could break 400 miles average a day for at least one rider. Which would
mean 150,000 or so miles in a year maybe?

« Reply #11 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:30:19 pm »
The crunch point is that you'd have to pay a pro enough to compensate for the rest of his/her racing career being ruined.

zigzag

• unfuckwithable
« Reply #12 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:33:46 pm »
The crunch point is that you'd have to pay a pro enough to compensate for the rest of his/her racing career being ruined.

another year of recovery/speedwork should be enough to go back to usual racing i'd have thought?

« Reply #13 on: 07 February, 2015, 10:46:36 pm »
I was thinking of the complaints from pros that led to the abandonment of long races such as, for example, Paris-Brest-Paris.

« Reply #14 on: 07 February, 2015, 11:26:33 pm »
Ultimately the career of the most successful TdF rider ever was ruined in retrospect by the methods needed to achieve that feat.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #15 on: 07 February, 2015, 11:43:22 pm »
I don't know about that. Merckx's career looks in pretty good shape to me.

« Reply #16 on: 07 February, 2015, 11:57:53 pm »
There was more tolerance of drugs in strictly professional sport. The riders were there to put on a show to get attention for the sponsors. Merckx never had to straddle the boundaries by competing in the Olympics at the same time as serving Mammon.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #17 on: 08 February, 2015, 12:06:17 am »
There seemed to be a lot of tolerance of drugs in the Olympics up until the '80s or '90s. There is still a fair bit out there. How much of that was Mammon and how much was national pride?

« Reply #18 on: 08 February, 2015, 08:26:18 am »

Posted by: Hummers Yesterday at 05:20:05 PM

I have to admit to completely misunderstanding the title of this thread until I opened it

Oooh!   You are awful..........but I like you!

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #19 on: 08 February, 2015, 09:34:29 am »
No mention of Jens Voigt?

I think we now know the answer to:

Some people wear Superman pyjamas
Superman wears Mr T pyjamas
Mr T wears Chuck Norris pyjamas
Chuck Norris wears Jens Voigt pyjamas
And Jens Voigt wears...
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

« Reply #20 on: 08 February, 2015, 09:47:21 am »
There seemed to be a lot of tolerance of drugs in the Olympics up until the '80s or '90s. There is still a fair bit out there. How much of that was Mammon and how much was national pride?

The various sets of 'ideals' that inform sport make an interesting area for study. The obvious candidate for a year record would have been Jure Robič. He was the pre-eminent RAAM rider, and also a soldier in the Slovenian army. Ultra-Racing was a very effective way of putting Slovenia on the map after independence.
He's another example of a disputed world record holder. His 24 Hour record of 2004 being about 7 miles short of Wilko's then distance.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/obituaries/sport-obituaries/8166222/Jure-Robic.html

Mr Larrington

• A bit ov a lyv wyr by slof standirds
  • Custard Wallah
    • Mr Larrington's Automatic Diary
« Reply #21 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:24:53 am »
    I'm pretty sure riders have done > 1000 km in a 24-hour race in Switzerland, but:
    • IIRC it allows drafting, and
    • Google is reluctant to find any results, because it is stupid beyond measure
External Transparent Wall Inspection Operative & Mayor of Mortagne-au-Perche
Satisfying the Bloodlust of the Masses in Peacetime

Hummers

• It is all about the taste.
« Reply #22 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:42:35 am »
No mention of Jens Voigt?

I think we now know the answer to:

Some people wear Superman pyjamas
Superman wears Mr T pyjamas
Mr T wears Chuck Norris pyjamas
Chuck Norris wears Jens Voigt pyjamas
And Jens Voigt wears...

...badly after prolonged and frequent use?

H

« Reply #23 on: 08 February, 2015, 10:46:33 am »
Records are an agreed framework for proving that something has happened. There's a tendency to extend that idea of 'proof' to examine what the participants have to prove. That can be an important part of the story, as the reality is very straightforward, get up early every day, ride many miles, get home, sleep, and repeat.

LittleWheelsandBig

• Whimsy Rider
« Reply #24 on: 08 February, 2015, 11:11:04 am »
'get home' is optional for these riders and, later in the year, so might 'sleep' and 'get up'.