Author Topic: [HAMR] When did Steve overtake your lifetime acheivement?  (Read 1940 times)

CrazyEnglishTriathlete

• Miles eaten don't satisfy hunger
  • Chartered accountant in 5 different decades
    • CET Ride Reports and Blogs
[HAMR] When did Steve overtake your lifetime acheivement?
« on: 06 March, 2015, 02:27:12 pm »
There seems to be precious few of us for whom Steve hasn't demolished our 2014 (or even our best annual) mileage.  So I thought I'd start a thread on when Steve overtakes lifetime achievements.  For example, he's already ridden 300km on 39 occasions this year, which is nearing my lifetime haul.
Eddington Numbers 130 (imperial), 182 (metric) 574 (furlongs)  114 (nautical miles)

PaulF

• "World's Scariest Barman"
  • It's only impossible if you stop to think about it
Re: When did Steve overtake your lifetime acheivement?
« Reply #1 on: 06 March, 2015, 02:32:31 pm »
At this rate by mid-April he'll have overtaken my lifetime* total mileage.

*Well "since records began" or 2008 to the real world

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #2 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:31:29 pm »
I think I mentioned this somewhere else.

Since resuming cycling in 2006 I have covered a distance of 52000 miles. In fact, my little potter into the town and back this afternoon has seen to that. For Steve to be on target for the record, he will need to beat that at the very latest by the end of August.

I have no accurate records for my previous cycling existence. I cycled a fair bit when I was a child, by childish standards, but I doubt that amounted to more than 500 miles a year. In my 20s and 30s I cycled quite a bit more: quite a lot of CTC Sunday runs of 50 miles or more and a few reliability rides, plus a bit of commuting, chess matches and pub crawls as well as one 450-mile tour. At a wild guess, I'd say that that may have been a total of 20000 miles over 10 years.

If and when Steve breaks the record, I think I can comfortably say he will have overtaken my lifetime's cycling. Precisely when is another matter.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

Jack_P

• It's just dicking about on bikes
    • Cycling hobo
« Reply #3 on: 06 March, 2015, 05:59:40 pm »
My recent history, which is all on Strava has me heading for 100,000 miles, so my race is to get there before Steve does it when he carries on next year.

simonp

« Reply #4 on: 06 March, 2015, 06:17:25 pm »
I think I've done somewhere between 70,000 and 100,000 miles. I started cycling regularly in 1991 but complete records only exist since 2008 or so.

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #5 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:00:34 pm »
My recorded* mileage is a spit over 17,000 as of today.  Extrapolating Steve at his current rate of close to 200 miles a day means he'll pass me around the end of March.  That's only a quarter of Steve's calendar year, and around a fifth of his projected mileage based on his higher schedule.

I have no real comprehension as to the enormity of Steve's task, and whilst most of the Audax riders on here do many times the mileage I will ever do, I'm still regarded by virtually all the people I know (non-Audax cyclists included) as a long distance rider, so I really don't know how the average non-cyclist would get their head round the enormity of this as a challenge.

* This is since records began in 2008.  I have no idea what I rode as a teenager or penniless student oaf.  I don't record station commutes since that's only just over a mile and a half each way.  I don't record quick trips to the shops etc. either.  Most rides of over 10 miles have been recorded though.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #6 on: 09 March, 2015, 02:33:47 pm »
I have never kept records — so Steve can't beat me!

« Reply #7 on: 10 March, 2015, 06:33:10 pm »
Ian, you just forgot you kept records

Oaky

• ACME Fire Safety Officer
  • Audax Club Mid-Essex
    • MEMWNS Map
« Reply #8 on: 27 April, 2015, 03:27:20 pm »
On St George's day, Steve went past my total since records began (2008) of 17,439 miles.  If it weren't for the accident, it would have been about 3 weeks sooner.
You are in a maze of twisty flat droves, all alike.

85.4 miles from Marsh Gibbon

Audax Club Mid-Essex Fire Safety Officer
http://acme.bike

« Reply #9 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:23:35 am »
I did some calcs and came to a figure of average 4000 miles per year for the last 42 years.
So my lifetime distance is somewhere around 165,000 to 170,000 miles.
The last few years have been over 5000 miles per year, and couple at over 8000.

Working on a nominal 20 mile commute for 200 days per year since 1977 ( some years it was 7, some 35 ), plus weekend tours ( pre 1995 ) and then AUK rides from 1995.

I have kept a list of the bikes I’ve owned and it is twenty one bikes long.  ;D

« Reply #10 on: 28 April, 2015, 11:54:47 am »
*Well "since records began" or 2008 to the real world
[..] but complete records only exist since 2008 or so.
* This is since records began in 2008.
On St George's day, Steve went past my total since records began (2008) of 17,439 miles

What is it about 2008?  My records begin that year, too, which is when I installed TrackMe on my Windows phone.

Steve will pass me in just over a month at his current pace, so presumably a little sooner than that as he speeds up. 

I have no real comprehension as to the enormity of Steve's task,