Author Topic: [HAMR] Steve's Press release  (Read 17379 times)

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
[HAMR] Steve's Press release
« on: 03 April, 2015, 07:33:08 pm »
Released at 6.00pm

Steve is now out of hospital (after his operation to have metal plates fitted to his ankle) and is recovering at home. He has decided to continue with the record attempt and as a team we are very seriously considering running a concurrent record attempt, starting sometime in the late summer this year after Steve should have made a full recovery. This is within the rules of the UMCA for this record attempt, so neither record attempt would end if he started again in summer.

Steve is due to lose his advantage on the current record (and be at roughly the same mileage as Tommy Godwin was at the same time of year), strangely on 11th April, which is HAM'R day. To mitigate that loss we are now looking into Steve using a recumbent trike. Steve has asked several medics and doctors whether this was wise to do (when he was at the hospital) and had no negative feedback. Riding a recumbent trike will mean that he can sit in an ideal position for recovery from his injuries, with the injured ankle raised. So as far as the injured ankle is concerned, it should be no different to sitting on his couch at home. Being outdoors will also give the benefit of extra vitamin D, which is very good for his bones.
We can use The Milton Keynes Bowl for Steve to ride on, so that Steve is never far from home and will be riding on a traffic-free circuit used for road racing. We anticipate Steve to be travelling very slowly, as he will be riding one-legged on a different kind of bike to what he normally rides, but if he can manage 5-10mph for 10 hours a day he should reduce his losses by over 2000 miles by the end of April. The doctors have given him 6 weeks before the injury will have recovered enough to be weight bearing.

On the negative side, the losses could be too great to recover. We don't know if Steve will recover fast enough to get back up to speed and meet his very demanding summer schedule, in order to re-catch what Tommy Godwin did in 1939. We don't know for sure if this plan will work.

On the positive side. Steve was going from strength to strength during the first 3 months of the record attempt and when he set off for Exeter last Saturday he felt stronger than he had all year. He has now had a good amount of recovery time after the accident. Although we don't know if Steve can meet the demanding summer schedule as soon as he is fully recovered from injury, we don't know that he can't either.

It also seems possible that he could make a very good and fast recovery. We will have a better idea when he sees the doctor in two weeks on how he is recovering. Of course, we don't know either way how it will go. But because we can keep this record attempt going without putting another record attempt at risk (and riding on may even be helpful to Steve's recovery - and still have a fighting chance of achieving what he set out to do), it seems logical to give it a try.

Steve's main aim is to make a good recovery - and if using the recumbent trike doesn't work out we can always stop completely and have a complete re-start in summer. He will not be doing anything rash, or take any risks. Nor will he go against professional medical advice. Steve would like to thank all his supporters for their continued support and messages of goodwill. He will keep everyone fully updated as his new plans progress. In the meantime, Steve wishes to pass on his regards and wish the best of luck to Kurt Searvogel who continues to ride strong and fast in the same record attempt and has proven himself to be a great sportsman, as well as a great sport.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

Re: Steve's Press release
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:36:45 pm »
Amazing, remarkable, MEGA

GO STEVE!!!

« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:37:31 pm »
Absolutely fantastic. Take care that there Steve.
Get a bicycle. You will never regret it, if you live- Mark Twain

« Reply #3 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:45:05 pm »
I am lost for words. The man has balls of steel.

Go Steve!!!!
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

mcshroom

• Mushroom
« Reply #4 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:46:59 pm »
The man has balls of steel.

I thought they'd plated his ankle ???
Climbs like a sprinter, sprints like a climber!

« Reply #5 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:50:44 pm »
Best press release since the fall of the Berlin Wall  ;D

GO STEVE YOU ARE AMAZING!!!!
Does not play well with others

« Reply #6 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:51:20 pm »
I got sworn at by a dog walker when I rode round MK bowl on a recumbent trike (at a BHPC event).  >:(

Go Steve!  :thumbsup:
If it ain't broke, fix it 'til it is...

« Reply #7 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:00:55 pm »
Excellent stuff!
A Man, A Plan.....
Best wishes.
J

Dibdib

• Fat'n'slow
« Reply #8 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:01:20 pm »
(shamelessly stolen from Rob Warner)

Will Steve be able to sit comfortably on a recumbent with balls that big?

Fidgetbuzz

• L sp MOON. 1st R sp MARS . At X SO sp STARS
« Reply #9 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:07:17 pm »
Not part of the press release -- but Steve does not restart tomorrow ( at least that is my understanding) -there are certain modifications being made to the trike -- so it maybe a few days before you see the tracker fire up again.
I was an accountant until I discovered Audax !!

« Reply #10 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:10:04 pm »
. . . as a team we are very seriously considering running a concurrent record attempt, starting sometime in the late summer this year after Steve should have made a full recovery. This is within the rules of the UMCA for this record attempt, so neither record attempt would end if he started again in summer.
Does this mean you can have as many concurrent attempts as you like? If so, will Kurt and Steve (and Miles and any new entrants) repeatedly start new attempts every week or two, to give themselves the 'advantage' of being able to track the other entrants as Kurt has done to Steve thus far? And if so, will this ever end - and how?  ;)

Wowbagger

• Stout dipper
    • Stuff mostly about weather
« Reply #11 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:10:57 pm »
That could be quite expensive.
Quote from: Dez
It doesn’t matter where you start. Just start.

« Reply #12 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:11:58 pm »
Will Steve be able to sit comfortably on a recumbent with balls that big?

I managed ;D
You're only as successful as your last 1200...

« Reply #13 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:40:21 pm »
(Shamelessly stolen from Full Metal Jacket)

Steve, you are born again hard!

Gus

• Loosing weight stone by stone
    • We will return
« Reply #14 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:42:46 pm »
Chapeau Steve, the toughest cyclist I've ever heard off or read about.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #15 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:45:47 pm »
Utterly utterly fantastic! Brilliant news Steve.

Graeme

• @fatherhilarious.blog 🦋
    • Graeme's Blog
« Reply #16 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:46:14 pm »
Time to update my financial support

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #17 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:49:26 pm »
Not part of the press release -- but Steve does not restart tomorrow ( at least that is my understanding) -there are certain modifications being made to the trike -- so it maybe a few days before you see the tracker fire up again.

Kevin said Ice could likely ship a Vortex trike by the end of next week, so it would be a bit before he gets going again.

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #18 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:54:42 pm »
What's the plan then?  A fast Vortex with a freewheeling crank and one of those strap-your-foot-on pedals they use for cyclists with disabilities?

« Reply #19 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:55:33 pm »
It may sound selfish, but this has really made my day. Steve is such an inspiration to us mere mortals.
#ThreeWheelsSteve
Too many angry people - breathe & relax.

RichForrest

• T'is I, Silverback.
    • Ramblings of a silverback cyclist
« Reply #20 on: 03 April, 2015, 08:59:36 pm »
What's the plan then?  A fast Vortex with a freewheeling crank and one of those strap-your-foot-on pedals they use for cyclists with disabilities?
To start with drainpipe and zipties and a hacksaw. For the crank not his foot  ;D
Then probably see what happens as he gets more mobility / less sore!

« Reply #21 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:01:22 pm »
Haha great fantastic news. Go Steve

Kim

• Timelord
    • Fediverse
« Reply #22 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:10:09 pm »
To start with drainpipe and zipties and a hacksaw. For the crank not his foot  ;D
Then probably see what happens as he gets more mobility / less sore!

Ah, the arallsopp solution...   :thumbsup:

« Reply #23 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:10:52 pm »
Excellent! It sounds a sensible plan.

FB, I hope you'll shout out if more cash is needed.

macnark

• Cake and Tea solves all.
« Reply #24 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:19:30 pm »
Not affiliated, but may be of interest!

Their motto and icon at bottom of homepage page "Sit back while we deliver" appropriate.

http://www.one-delivery.co.uk/searchResult.php?searcharea=MK5%208AA